Words/phases that should be banned.

15678911»

Comments

• Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nah. I didn't screw up, I just got it wrong.

What's bae?

Urban Dictionary says
    Bæ/bae is a Danish word for poop. Also used by people on the internet who think it means baby, sweetie etc.

People use it like "chilling with my bae" or "Love my bae" I never heard of it till December, now I see it everywhere.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ba Na Na wrote: »
    Urban Dictionary says

People use it like "chilling with my bae" or "Love my bae" I never heard of it till December, now I see it everywhere.

::shudder:: Well there's one for the 'kill it with fire' pile.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ba Na Na wrote: »
    Or was it a typo of 'beau' and someone looked it up and read thew wrong bit and the person who typed it originally just went along with that rather than admit they mis-typed.
    Or possibly the more obvious typo of 'babe'...

All completely logical but also ironic* given that if the true meaning were understood it would be the 'bae' that dumped them!

* nowadays I have absolutely no idea if that's the correct usage
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because of Ed Miliband, the phrase 'make no bones about it' seems to have lost all meaning for me.
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BadLadAsh wrote: »
    "Kill it" or "You killed it" when someone has done a good job of something, they always say it on the voice. It drives me mad! :mad: and "Bae" is another one I hate :mad:

'You killed it' - you were brilliant

'You murdered it' - you were terrible

Also a recent one - when something is brilliant, it's 'sick' :confused:
  • GibsonGirlGibsonGirl Posts: 1,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Off the top of my head here are some of the ones I would have outlawed.

Retard (when used as a derogatory remark about somebody with learning difficulties). I hate it!

Destroy (when used to describe the ending of a non-human life). We are talking about taking a LIFE and not scrapping an old car.

Owner (when used to describe someone who has dogs, cats, etc). How can you possibly 'own' a life?

Every form of internet and text slang. It is lazy and unnecessary.
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Aaw mate'

The staple of middle-class pint-clutching wideboys across the land.
  • CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because of Ed Miliband, the phrase 'make no bones about it' seems to have lost all meaning for me.

Look, he makes no apologies for that
  • NorwoodCemeteryNorwoodCemetery Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on the politics theme, the extremely well-worn 'let's be clear...' grinds against my nerves like no other. Not least because the succeeding spiel after that phrase is anything but clear or transparent.

And I think 'hard-working families' has already been covered, but a reminder just in case.
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    "In this day and age"
  • jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Suck it up.....
  • CapparwireCapparwire Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And on the politics theme, the extremely well-worn 'let's be clear...' grinds against my nerves like no other. Not least because the succeeding spiel after that phrase is anything but clear or transparent.

And I think 'hard-working families' has already been covered, but a reminder just in case.

"Well What we're saying is" they answer every direct question with that, just to deflect any personal responsibilty for their answer
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    "We are where we are" (usually used at work when someone's trying to gloss over a massive balls up)
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Economical with the truth'.

No.

Simply lying through their f***ing teeth.
  • ayrshireman1ayrshireman1 Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not being sexist, but girl power (as someone said earlier) and my hated favourite: empowerment.

Probably the most overused word of the last 20 yrs. Apparently you just cant be a modern woman and girl anymore, you have be some 'empowered' female.

As empty as the space between the ears of the cast of TOWIE.
  • DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my least favourite phrases on here and in the tabloids: "innocent little baby". As though there are options.
  • jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically