ITV changes 25/08/2015

Comments

• epsilonepsilon Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cookie wrote: »
    I have watched Calendar on ITV+1 regularly since ITV+1 began and until about 2 weeks ago when it suddenly changed to the Emley Moor version I have never seen anything other than Calendar East on ITV+1.
    I've now set it to record on ITV at 6pm so that I can watch Calendar East as then the news is predominantly from South Yorkshire, East Yorkshire and Lincolnshire with a few items from Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire also included.

I think the official terms for the micro regions were North and South rather than West and East, presumably because Sheffield / Chesterfield is to the south of region and not to the east. Either way of describing it is confusing and I note that, for marketing purposes, ITV now describes the micro regions as Yorkshire Emley Moor and Yorkshire Belmont. The BBC method of including Sheffield / Chesterfield in the Emley Moor region is more logical.
    https://www.itvmedia.co.uk/index.php/download_file/force/2483/2510/

South Yorkshire news has always been covered in the Leeds version of Calendar. The Sheffield transmitter doesn't even cover the whole of Sheffield, never mind South Yorkshire as a whole.
    ask.ofcom.org.uk/resources/ofcom/television/SheffITV.pdf

I can't disagree with you about coverage in the past. I'm only stating that, going by the SID number allocated to ITV +1, it suggests that the version carried should be the one from Emley Moor. It's probably giving a little bit too much credit to D3&4 to think that they would get that right, after all, they use a +100 offset for the ITV +1 SID. As SID numbers are hexadecimal, the offset should have been +64 or +128, weird! :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    I don't know if it's part of the technical transmitter change or preamble to the 25/8 works but my ITV, and only ITV, is freezing and blanking out every 10 or so seconds the last couple of days. I'm in East Yorkshire. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16
    Forum Member
    Tgon wrote: »
    I don't know if it's part of the technical transmitter change or preamble to the 25/8 works but my ITV, and only ITV, is freezing and blanking out every 10 or so seconds the last couple of days. I'm in East Yorkshire. :o

Can delete the above post. Problem is Samsung update to my TV with a workaround. :cry:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 317
    Forum Member
    Tgon....please dont delete the "above post"

I have a Samsung tv with exactly your problem.

It would be really helpful if you link to the "update" problem you describe and paticularly the "workaround" you know about (or where you found the information) to help me and all the other people who find this thread by Googling.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruggs1234 wrote: »
    Tgon....please dont delete the "above post"

I have a Samsung tv with exactly your problem.

It would be really helpful if you link to the "update" problem you describe and paticularly the "workaround" you know about (or where you found the information) to help me and all the other people who find this thread by Googling.

I assume what they have done is to update the software in their TV. If your television is connected to your network you can go into the menu and check to see if there is a new version of software to download.

What Model do you have and is it currently connected to your network?

Adam.
  • Fred RickwoodFred Rickwood Posts: 830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always felt they could have done this sooner.

Surely if they had moved ITV1 (UTV/STV) +1 off the PSB 2 mux onto the Com muxes that carry ITV3 and ITV 4, ITV 3 and ITV 4 could have been on PSB 2.

I cannot understand why they can't/didn't do this. Surely having ITV3 and ITV 4 on PSB 2 would be far better than ITV1+1 and Channel 4+ 1 ?????????????????
  • redgarnredgarn Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    I've always felt they could have done this sooner.

Surely if they had moved ITV1 (UTV/STV) +1 off the PSB 2 mux onto the Com muxes that carry ITV3 and ITV 4, ITV 3 and ITV 4 could have been on PSB 2.

I cannot understand why they can't/didn't do this. Surely having ITV3 and ITV 4 on PSB 2 would be far better than ITV1+1 and Channel 4+ 1 ?????????????????

Because the COM muxes are not regionalised and ITV+1, being regional, needs to be on a multiplex that is regionalised.
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    ITV Cymru Wales HD replaces the existing Central version of ITV HD in Wales.

ITV4 goes nationwide on D3&4 multiplex - all viewers will be able to watch the channel.

ITV3+1 extends Freeview broadcast hours: 1800-0600 (currently it finishes at midnight).
    Am I right in thinking from this that ITV4 is the only one which is actually changing Mux? I assume that ITV3+1 will be unaffected and still receivable on a non-retuned box.

I ask because I have a totally non-tech very elderly friend (86) who uses ITV3+1 sometimes and for whom retuning is impossible without a lot of guidance over the phone (too far away to go and do it for him). He does not use ITV4.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking from this that ITV4 is the only one which is actually changing Mux? I assume that ITV3+1 will be unaffected and still receivable on a non-retuned box.

I ask because I have a totally non-tech very elderly friend (86) who uses ITV3+1 sometimes and for whom retuning is impossible without a lot of guidance over the phone (too far away to go and do it for him). He does not use ITV4.

From the information ITV has issued, you'd be correct.

ITV3+1 looks set to continue broadcasting beyond midnight, but in its current position, thanks to the previous timeshare with The Store on channel 39 ending (see Hochanda thread).

I have an elderly relative - nearly 90 - who is worrying that they'll lose ITV on 25th August based on the wording of on-screen message. :o
  • POLO 1POLO 1 Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    redgarn wrote: »
    They really should be launching ITV Yorkshire HD as well, it covers a bigger population.

I sure hope so. Would be great to have an HD channel, just for us :D
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    as someone who is in a Freeview Lite recp zone, I always found it odd that we got all the Ch4 channels, but not all the ITV channels. If Ch4 can do it, why not ITV?
  • swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good news for anyone on Freeview Lite. Will they be using ITV 4 for the Rugby World Cup I wonder?
  • jasonjimbobjasonjimbob Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    as someone who is in a Freeview Lite recp zone, I always found it odd that we got all the Ch4 channels, but not all the ITV channels. If Ch4 can do it, why not ITV?

Not in Wales though, E4 is not available on Freeview Lite here, their capacity is taken up by S4C
  • eladkseeladkse Posts: 1,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because funnily enough, there is limited capacity, and ITV have a lot of channels. If more capacity was available, Freeview Lite wouldn't even be a thing.

The multiplex in question is mostly shared between ITV and C4, with ITV owning three slots (ITV, ITV2, ITV1+1) and C4 five slots (C4, C4+1, More 4, Film 4, E4). Thanks to encoder improvement, an extra channel can now be fitted in the same amount of space, hence the addition of ITV4.

Note ITV+1 is on this multiplex instead of ITV3 (except in the Channel Islands where ITV1+1 does not exist) as it needs to be regonalised, and this is the only commercial multiplex which does that.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Does the message mean you can only retune on 25/8? Why cant you do it now and get it over with?
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Currently I only get the message on ITV2, It would make more sense to have the message on ITV4 only.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Does the message mean you can only retune on 25/8? Why cant you do it now and get it over with?

Because the changes haven't been made yet.
    Forum Member

ITV looses one of it's slots on D3&4 so that Channel 5 can be carried on the multiplex and be available from all transmitters. Before digital switchover Channel 5 was on Multiplex A (now SDN).

IIRC this move didn't occur until the end of September 2009, by which time the Border and Westcountry regions had completed DSO. So Freeview lite viewers in those areas wouldn't have been able to receive C5 until it moved multiplex. It was the same with S4C in Wales, that also moved from multiplex A (Wales only) at the same time, just as DSO was getting underway in Wales. Although, as mentioned above, S4C took up one of Channel 4's slots (E4).
    eladkse wrote: »
    Note ITV+1 is on this multiplex instead of ITV3 (except in the Channel Islands where ITV1+1 does not exist) as it needs to be regonalised, and this is the only commercial multiplex which does that.

D3&4 is a PSB multiplex, not commercial.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    AngusMast wrote: »
    Currently I only get the message on ITV2, It would make more sense to have the message on ITV4 only.

I get the message on ITV1 as well, it says I need to retune to continue viewing ITV :confused:
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless retuning before the 25th til the changes have been done.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    redgarn wrote: »
    IIRC this move didn't occur until the end of September 2009, by which time the Border and Westcountry regions had completed DSO. So Freeview lite viewers in those areas wouldn't have been able to receive C5 until it moved multiplex.

Viewers in DSO regions received a different version of mux B (BBC-B) which contained C5. At least until that mux was switched over to DVB-T2, at which point C5 moved to mux 2 (D3&4).
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone know at what time this Mux change for ITV4 is likely to happen on Tuesday?
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I get the message on ITV1 as well, it says I need to retune to continue viewing ITV :confused:
    It should say ITV4. If ITV were still called ITV1, it might make sense, because "ITV" could refer to all ITV channels, but now that it is called "ITV" again, it is misleading. Also, there is a date on the message, which many people appear to be not noticing.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Does anyone know at what time this Mux change for ITV4 is likely to happen on Tuesday?
    Freeview advising viewers to retune after 2pm.

ITV viewer services say the changes will happen at lunchtime.

Nevertheless, I still predict someone somewhere will be around DS expecting ITV Cymru Wales in HD and/or ITV4 in all areas at 00:01....
    Forum Member
    chrisy wrote: »
    Viewers in DSO regions received a different version of mux B (BBC-B) which contained C5. At least until that mux was switched over to DVB-T2, at which point C5 moved to mux 2 (D3&4).

Of course, forgot about the change of BBC B. Six years is a long time for my memory.