could the public/media turn on Cheryl Cole?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only place i see her name is on here. She might be popular with certain strands of the media but there are newspapers out there that just don't report anything about her.
  • Arsene wengerArsene wenger Posts: 4,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i agree about the whole high profile boyfriend thing. Derek is Zlist and is more known in England.
    I'm not entirely sure what she can offer the states.. she's pretty boring.. her stories tend to tail off pretty quickly in England.

She's always featured on US blogs. Mainly due to Girls Aloud but not all that regularly. People covered her malaria story on their site but I don;t think it was in their magazine.. they've not covered her since.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i agree about the whole high profile boyfriend thing. Derek is Zlist and is more known in England.
    I'm not entirely sure what she can offer the states.. she's pretty boring.. her stories tend to tail off pretty quickly in England.

She's always featured on US blogs. Mainly due to Girls Aloud but not all that regularly. People covered her malaria story on their site but I don;t think it was in their magazine.. they've not covered her since.

I agree about not having much to offer the States. The US isn't very open to foreign acts as they have enough of their own and I can't imagine a foreign act who mimes being welcomed with open arms. In the UK people bonded with her on Popstars and have followed her since and feel a connection with her. She won't have that in the States and unless she gets X-Factor US, I can't see her having much success there. She won't have the whole "Nation's Sweetheart" tag and unless she has very good PR, she might struggle if toiletgate is uncovered. I can't imagine she'll be able to laugh it off with a "she hit me, I hit her back". I get the impression that the US like their Sweethearts to be sweethearts.

She appears quite regularly on Perez Hilton. Most of the comments say "who is this and why do you keep reporting on her" but it's a start and it will get her into peoples minds. Her PR must be paying Perez to write about her because it doesn't make sense the amount of articles he gives her, considering she is a UK and not a US celeb. Having Perez on side is a double edged sword. If she keeps on Perez's good side, he'll keep supporting her but if fancy takes him, he'll rip her to shreds.
  • cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would guess Hough is a deal where she gets him publicity here and he acts as her "boyfriend/friend" so it doesn't look like shes the little lost spinster while Ashleys out partying. I think the Wyclef thing was more for her american profile.

I think the thing that puzzles me most about her is why can't she have a real boyfriend? Dereks obviously as camp as christmas and everything they do seems to be either pap opportunities or things that help his career - yet they are still trying to push on the public that there is something going on (like todays story about her meeting his parents). There were dubious rumours about her and Ashley Cole - regardless whether or not he is straight, you very rarely ever saw them together except press opportunities and he seems to have walked away from the marriage very easily (yet wierdly they couldnt agree to a quick divorce).

Sounds more like maybe Cheryl has a few secrets we don't know. I think the press will turn on her, but only after Cowell gets fed up with her and moves onto another protege.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Being on a few US based blogs doesn't mean that much, it's only because of Hough, who would sometimes appear on them solo anyway. And having loads of paparazzi pix of you in the US does not mean that much, I've seen paparazzi pix of Corrie stars, Trisha etc in Los Angeles recently....the agencies are based in London and LA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITA cyrilsneer.. really weird.

re blogs. Perez doesn't have that much clout anymore. I wonder why they didn't continue with the Will.i.am thing. He's much bigger than Derek, even if no one cares much about him.
  • flakecakeflakecake Posts: 1,849
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think she has time for a job in America at the moment. LOL

She spends more time in America these days than she does here. She hasn't really got that much work. Ok, she does X Factor for a few months and she does the odd commercial for L'Oreal. Surely it only takes one day of shooting to perfect the line 'Cause we're worth it' , so it hardly accounts for months of her time. Girls Aloud are pretty much over and her solo career can't take much out of her either. Someone else writes the songs, someone else writes the music, someone else designs and directs her videos so all she contributes is the voice, and lets face it, even autotune does that for her.
    When X Factor UK bites the dust, and it will because all these shows only have a certain shelf life before they become unbelievably boring, Cheryl is going to have a hell of a lot of time on her hands, and very little money coming in without her rich footballer husband to pay her way for her.
    Currently she works for a day, then goes to LA on holiday. Comes back and works for a few days, then goes to LA on holiday. Comes back and does nothing for a month, then goes to LA on holiday................
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »
    She spends more time in America these days than she does here. She hasn't really got that much work. Ok, she does X Factor for a few months and she does the odd commercial for L'Oreal. Surely it only takes one day of shooting to perfect the line 'Cause we're worth it' , so it hardly accounts for months of her time. Girls Aloud are pretty much over and her solo career can't take much out of her either. Someone else writes the songs, someone else writes the music, someone else designs and directs her videos so all she contributes is the voice, and lets face it, even autotune does that for her.
    When X Factor UK bites the dust, and it will because all these shows only have a certain shelf life before they become unbelievably boring, Cheryl is going to have a hell of a lot of time on her hands, and very little money coming in without her rich footballer husband to pay her way for her.
    Currently she works for a day, then goes to LA on holiday. Comes back and works for a few days, then goes to LA on holiday. Comes back and does nothing for a month, then goes to LA on holiday................

According to Sunday times rich list 2010 Cheryl's personal fortune is marked at £10 million. Her GA bandmates fortune is valued at £5million.each. So, even without her being a solo artist/brand, etc she still wouldn't need anyone to pay her way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7629549/Sunday-Times-Rich-List-2010-Harry-Potter-stars-dominate-top-20-young-millionaires-list.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She wouldn't be living in a sprawling Surrey estate if it wasn't for Cashly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    being on a few US based blogs mean literally nothing.

Cyrilsneer, truth is Ashley is a bit of a pushover. How can he have allowed her to have that much control over his career? A career that he worked hard and put alot of time and dedication towards? *shrugs*
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PADDY75 wrote: »
    According to Sunday times rich list 2010 Cheryl's personal fortune is marked at £10 million. Her GA bandmates fortune is valued at £5million.each. So, even without her being a solo artist/brand, etc she still wouldn't need anyone to pay her way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/7629549/Sunday-Times-Rich-List-2010-Harry-Potter-stars-dominate-top-20-young-millionaires-list.html

I know she's made her own money, but she hasn't had to spend any of it yet has she. Her house and all her living expenses have been paid by her husband, he's bought all her cars jewellry etc. Now she only has her own money to live on, once she buys herself a new house in LA and has to start paying for her own life, her money will start to dwindle unless a regular income starts coming in or she finds a new husband to pay all her bills for her.
    She's currently living in a 6 million pound mansion paid for by Ashley. If she has to buy him out, thats 3 million gone in one fail swoop. I'm not saying she'll ever be poor but money doesn't last forever when you lead an expensive lifestyle. You have to earn to maintain it.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She gets an awful lot for free though. All her hair and make up is paid for by L'Oreal, she said in a Sunday Times interview she gets send all these bags that cost thousands, she gets sent Jewellery by designers for free, etc.

When you get pictured and published as often as she does (set up or otherwise), plus have the fanbase who'll buy anything she endorses, companies will fall over themselves
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flakecake wrote: »
    I know she's made her own money, but she hasn't had to spend any of it yet has she. Her house and all her living expenses have been paid by her husband, he's bought all her cars jewellry etc. Now she only has her own money to live on, once she buys herself a new house in LA and has to start paying for her own life, her money will start to dwindle unless a regular income starts coming in or she finds a new husband to pay all her bills for her.
    She's currently living in a 6 million pound mansion paid for by Ashley. If she has to buy him out, thats 3 million gone in one fail swoop. I'm not saying she'll ever be poor but money doesn't last forever when you lead an expensive lifestyle. You have to earn to maintain it.

No he didn't. She has made it clear from when they first got together that she does not take his money and she pays for her own things. The only thing they shared was the house. She said the word 'shared' not fully paid by Ashley. I remember the interview well because they asked her what her thoughts were on wags etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pharoah wrote: »
    No he didn't. She has made it clear from when they first got together that she does not take his money and she pays for her own things. The only thing they shared was the house. She said the word 'shared' not fully paid by Ashley. I remember the interview well because they asked her what her thoughts were on wags etc.

Yes, she said these things when they first got together. They went on to get married. Ashley bought her many things after that which she accepted as she was his wife, not just a tag along gold digging girlfriend. It's quite normal.
    Didn't she also say after the first time he was caught cheating that he had to buy her a new house to live in as the old one now had bad memories?
    She had only made a small amount of money by the time she met Ashley. Do you really think she paid for half of that house?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that the media will turn on her. But even in the UK - if she loses her spot on the X factor, her showbiz level will sink. In the US, she can't even build a career on Ashley's back, because he's unknown there as soccer isn't big in the US.

To sum it up:
    Fame in the US? Only if she gets a spot on the X Factor.

Will the media turn on her in the UK? No.
    Will she disappear in the next few years? No.
    Will the media attention sink if she loses her X-Factor UK spot? Yes.
  • cyrilsneercyrilsneer Posts: 925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cyrilsneer, truth is Ashley is a bit of a pushover. How can he have allowed her to have that much control over his career? A career that he worked hard and put alot of time and dedication towards? *shrugs*

I guess it depends on what she was doing for him, i'm not neccasarily stating the gay rumour as fact here, but if it was an arrangement for whatever reasons - theres lots of things he could be into, or not want to come out - not just that. Football is actually a very murky world, and he was the more famous one when they got together. Then again he does look a pushover regardless, maybe she just got lucky finding herself a pushover boyfriend she could control - i think maybe behind closed doors she's the spoilt little madam type (tho obviously not until she got all the cash) having her mum living with her, doing everything for her. In a loving real marriage what girl would have her mum living on the same grounds around 24/7 if there wasn't something a bit fishy going on, and that Ashley accepted that? Wierd!

I wouldn't believe the Sunday Times rich list, its well known for being well inflated - i'm sure she isn't on the breadline, appearances, dvd/cd/merchandise royalties, promotional contracts, and of course X-Factor. But i think 10 million is a bit over exagerated, if she has been very careful with her money over the years then maybe she has half that or a bit more. Nadines invested in pub chains, Hardings only a very small partner in a club - its not exactly a band full of wannabee Donald Trumps.

With Will.I.Am i think there was maybe only a limit to what he would play along with. He's more the serious musician type. I doubt he minded them planting a few stories when he was doing promotional stuff with her but he doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who would get involved with a taboid relationship just for a bit of name recognition, he didnt need it.
  • guffybearguffybear Posts: 1,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cyrilsneer wrote: »
    . In a loving real marriage what girl would have her mum living on the same grounds around 24/7 if there wasn't something a bit fishy going on, and that Ashley accepted that? Wierd!

i was under the impression that the mother only stayed in the grounds when she was visiting and she was actually based in a seperate building. after her visit, she returned to the noth east

maybe you make your parents stay in a hotel if and when they visit you but it would appear Cheryl is a lot closer to her mother.
  • musicman099musicman099 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In a loving real marriage what girl would have her mum living on the same grounds around 24/7 if there wasn't something a bit fishy going on, and that Ashley accepted that? Wierd!

Her house is massive and contains something like 10 bedrooms why wouldn't you let her stay? The house is big enough not for her to get in the way.
    But i think 10 million is a bit over exaggerated

Really? I think the opposite. She earnt around £5/6 million for Girls Aloud from formation to 2008.

Two seasons of the X Factor at around 1 million each.
    This year was rumoured she got 2 million.

Recent performances she earned around 250,000 for 30 mins work.

Her tour with the BEP would have earned her a lot.

Royalties from her album because she has writing credits.

Loreal deals.

And more for appearances etc
    But even in the UK - if she loses her spot on the X factor, her showbiz level will sink.

X Factor is on for four months a year...She's pretty much around for the whole year.
    Someone else writes the songs, someone else writes the music, someone else designs and directs her videos so all she contributes is the voice, and lets face it, even autotune does that for her.

Her first album took around 7 months to complete.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    Apparently there was a Cheryl documentary on last night.. anyone know where I can watch online? :)
  • PADDY75PADDY75 Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't imagine Cheryl having much say/control over her own career let alone anyone elses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well there was the move from Arsenal where the foreigners were suddenly a problem. tho I think that whole thing was down to hypw believing, a terrible fraudulant agent and an overexcited Cheryl lol. I just think he should have told her to sit down when she was rabbiting about she blocked his dream move. lol.

The Sun owns Cheryl's career now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    ...will the public turn against her?

She's not universally liked (obviously), but has a large fan-base. They will probably remain loyal if she carries on as she is now. If she pretty much de-camps to the US though, or is seen to "selfishly" end Girls Aloud that could cause a bit of frostiness with her fans

...will the media turn against her?
    Not likely for the forseeable if she stays under Simon Cowell's wing, and she seems happy to do that. It would take a massive own goal for the Cowell machine to lose its grip on the meda, but by god, everyone journalist is waiting for that day. Overplaying her Victim hand would louse things up a bit, especially if Ashley had some revelations (they would have to be good as no-one likes him), or if it emerged that the malaria thing had been overplayed by her team.

She incredibly well-managed and I've been surprised how well she did with the solo album, so I wouldn't write her off yet. This isn't because I like her. She's really, really pretty, but that's it...

Maybe she's grown up, because she's certainly different to the girl that was in Popstars and slagged off Lily Allen etc. (and hit the toilet attendant of course...), but if a cynical person would say that she's hiding her true colours and not so sweet and innocent behind the scenes.

Re Derek - don't know or care if he's gay or not, but I consider her pretty sexless really, which is strange considering she's such a sex symbol and I can see why so many men fancy her.
  • musicman099musicman099 Posts: 2,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minimina wrote: »
    ...will the public turn against her?

She's not universally liked (obviously), but has a large fan-base. They will probably remain loyal if she carries on as she is now. If she pretty much de-camps to the US though, or is seen to "selfishly" end Girls Aloud that could cause a bit of frostiness with her fans

...will the media turn against her?
    Not likely for the forseeable if she stays under Simon Cowell's wing, and she seems happy to do that. It would take a massive own goal for the Cowell machine to lose its grip on the meda, but by god, everyone journalist is waiting for that day. Overplaying her Victim hand would louse things up a bit, especially if Ashley had some revelations (they would have to be good as no-one likes him), or if it emerged that the malaria thing had been overplayed by her team.

She incredibly well-managed and I've been surprised how well she did with the solo album, so I wouldn't write her off yet. This isn't because I like her. She's really, really pretty, but that's it...

Maybe she's grown up, because she's certainly different to the girl that was in Popstars and slagged off Lily Allen etc. (and hit the toilet attendant of course...), but if a cynical person would say that she's hiding her true colours and not so sweet and innocent behind the scenes.

Re Derek - don't know or care if he's gay or not, but I consider her pretty sexless really, which is strange considering she's such a sex symbol and I can see why so many men fancy her.

Lily Allen started on her. Do people honestly expect someone not to stick up for themselves?
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    minimina wrote: »

The first bit I've highlighted is the explanation for the second bit I've highlighted. She's basically been told to keep her mouth shut. We see glimmers of the old, gobby, bitchy Cheryl on X Factor all the time - her fans just don't see it. All they see is happy, sweet, smiley, innocent angel Cheryl.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unigal07 wrote: »
    The first bit I've highlighted is the explanation for the second bit I've highlighted. She's basically been told to keep her mouth shut. We see glimmers of the old, gobby, bitchy Cheryl on X Factor all the time - her fans just don't see it. All they see is happy, sweet, smiley, innocent angel Cheryl.

Exactly.

I don't see that old Cheryl was a monster and I definitely prefered her to today's fake Cheryl. But she's certainly not an angel and not a sweetheart. She's quite mouthy and bitchy, it's just that people have decided to ignore this part of her character.