Manchester/Sheffield?

2»

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    relative sizes............taken from ONS 'List of urban areas in the UK'

Manchester - population 2,553,379 (2nd largest in UK)
    Sheffield - population 685,368 (9th largest in UK)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Oh, wow! :) I didn't expect to see so many responses. Thank you! :) Having read all of your opinions, I think I'm leaning towards Manchester. It really seems very interesting. And the big city kind of life is something I cannot live without. I have a dog, so I'm guessing our walks will be a lot longer than they are now! :rolleyes:

I live in Vienna now, which is very safe, so the crime statistics do worry me a little bit (for example: http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Austria&city1=Manchester&city2=Vienna), but I guess it's something I'm going to have to get used to.

There's only one more thing I wanted to ask you. In what fields do you think Manchester has the most job offers and in which the least? To be honest, while waiting for any psychology related job, I'll be perfectly happy brewing coffee in Starbucks or waiting tables ;)
  • Judge MentalJudge Mental Posts: 18,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie_S. wrote: »
    Oh, wow! :) I didn't expect to see so many responses. Thank you! :) Having read all of your opinions, I think I'm leaning towards Manchester. It really seems very interesting. And the big city kind of life is something I cannot live without. I have a dog, so I'm guessing our walks will be a lot longer than they are now! :rolleyes:

I live in Vienna now, which is very safe, so the crime statistics do worry me a little bit (for example: http://www.numbeo.com/crime/compare_cities.jsp?country1=United+Kingdom&country2=Austria&city1=Manchester&city2=Vienna), but I guess it's something I'm going to have to get used to.

There's only one more thing I wanted to ask you. In what fields do you think Manchester has the most job offers and in which the least? To be honest, while waiting for any psychology related job, I'll be perfectly happy brewing coffee in Starbucks or waiting tables ;)

I don't think you should be too anxious about crime - my daughter studied there for four years and didn't have any problems whatsoever. But you need to be sensible and take precautions such as having home insurance and locking your stuff up. The city centre feels quite safe to wander around in the evening (having been out there a few times and to events at the MEN arena).

There are lots of bars, shops and restaurants for casual work and a big media presence now in Salford but generally the employment is pretty varied.

Look here for an idea

http://manchester.fish4jobs.co.uk/
  • bigpodbigpod Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived in both. Manchester is infinitly better than Sheffield in every way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_S. wrote: »

Hmm - I'm sorry I don't know re the jobs - I have an intuition that jobs in the creative industries may be high.

Re crime - avoid walking through Piccadilly Gardens in the centre, after dark, late in the evening or early morning. On the pavements around it, is okay, but a few years ago, (probably still now), dodgy characters such as intimidating beggars and those getting high on alcohol etc and looking for trouble, tended to congregate there.. Nearby Oldham Street, can also be dodgy late at night.

Don't walk through any parks alone at night.

Don't walk around Moss Side at night.

That's not exhaustive as my knowledge of Manchester isn't exhaustive, but that's what I'd advise for people coming to Manchester.

If you keep your wits about you and are street wise and careful, you should be okay as regards crime.
  • clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    With reference to jobs the most are probably in customer service both face to face like starbucks etc and phone based in call centres, competetition is obviously fierce for a lot of those kinds jobs though since Manchester has such a massive student population but in my opinion Manchester is not too bad a place to be job hunting. I'd suggest you look at signing up with a couple of agencies I recommend search and rullion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »
    Hmm - I'm sorry I don't know re the jobs - I have an intuition that jobs in the creative industries may be high.

Re crime - avoid walking through Piccadilly Gardens in the centre, after dark, late in the evening or early morning. On the pavements around it, is okay, but a few years ago, (probably still now), dodgy characters such as intimidating beggars and those getting high on alcohol etc and looking for trouble, tended to congregate there.. Nearby Oldham Street, can also be dodgy late at night.

That's not exhaustive as my knowledge of Manchester isn't exhaustive, but that's what I'd advise for people coming to Manchester.

If you keep your wits about you and are street wise and careful, you should be okay as regards crime.

Piccadiily gardens has changed, moss side is miles away! Ive been here for half my life and never been there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dolls wrote: »

Piccadiily gardens has changed, moss side is miles away! Ive been here for half my life and never been there.