Options

Prepaid SIM card for Japan

Rebel StimsonRebel Stimson Posts: 842
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm looking for a prepaid SIM card whilst in Japan. The reason being my phone provider have quoted me £6 for 1Mb of data whilst I'm there (I'm not that interested in making/receiving calls when there). So I need a SIM card so I can use for maps and online apps whilst out and about. Has anyone experienced using one whilst there and advise me of a decent company to deal with? Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    Is your phone unlocked, does it work with any sim card form any provider?

If it is then you could search google for deals, and it would also be a good idea to take out your contract sim and replace it with a UK pay as you go sim card, leave your UK contract sim at home and leave a voicemail on it asking people to e-mail you if they need to get in touch.

Ive used a vodafone UK PAYG sim card as a stop gap while abroad until ive found a local sim card deal ( or if its not been possible to obtain a local sim card) use a credit card to top it up by a small amount while in the UK - and set up any roaming deals a few months before you go.
    once topped up in the UK by phone+credit card you should be able to top up again by the same method while abroad if you cant find a local sim.

To make things go a little further turn off all data and only turn it on when you need it, as soon as you have done what you need to do ( ie check maps etc) turn it off again. turn of any sync options ( e mail etc) use WIFI when possible
    use an alternative web browser if the phone is android such as opera mini with image compression turned on.
    while its free to receive standard text messages replying to them via sms wont be - it can be much cheaper to send a plain text email with no attachments out in reply

if you have BT wifi, and you are on the Fon network, or you have a fonera you cna connect to fon wifi in japan and get 'free' wifi https://corp.fon.com/en/maps
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
    Its a shame Japan aren't in Three's Feel at Home countries, otherwise you could get around 1gb for £7

http://www.three.co.uk/Discover/Phones/Feel_At_Home
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »
    Is your phone unlocked, does it work with any sim card form any provider?

If it is then you could search google for deals, and it would also be a good idea to take out your contract sim and replace it with a UK pay as you go sim card, leave your UK contract sim at home and leave a voicemail on it asking people to e-mail you if they need to get in touch.

Ive used a vodafone UK PAYG sim card as a stop gap while abroad until ive found a local sim card deal ( or if its not been possible to obtain a local sim card) use a credit card to top it up by a small amount while in the UK - and set up any roaming deals a few months before you go.
    once topped up in the UK by phone+credit card you should be able to top up again by the same method while abroad if you cant find a local sim.

To make things go a little further turn off all data and only turn it on when you need it, as soon as you have done what you need to do ( ie check maps etc) turn it off again. turn of any sync options ( e mail etc) use WIFI when possible
    use an alternative web browser if the phone is android such as opera mini with image compression turned on.
    while its free to receive standard text messages replying to them via sms wont be - it can be much cheaper to send a plain text email with no attachments out in reply

if you have BT wifi, and you are on the Fon network, or you have a fonera you cna connect to fon wifi in japan and get 'free' wifi https://corp.fon.com/en/maps

Thanks for your prompt response. The phone is unlocked and will work with any sim card. I have googled for sim cards but they seem to send the card to your hotel thats why I was wondering if anyone had the experience of purchasing a sim card in Japan.
  • Options
    Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    a google search pulls this up http://prepaid-data-sim-card.wikia.com/wiki/Japan
    Japan can be a tricky country to buy a local SIM card. It is the only industrial nation (besides S. Korea) without a 2G GSM coverage and doesn’t allow visitors to buy voice SIM cards by law. However, for data on 3G or 4G/LTE on a data-only SIM card, you are free to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard_T wrote: »

So can I buy a sim card for data at the airport or a store in Japan?
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So can I buy a sim card for data at the airport or a store in Japan?

My son's ex girlfriend had no problem buying a payg simm when she was out in Japan, so wait until you get there.