Options

Jo Joyner's break is for 1 year...

Comments

• Options
    valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I think it will be good for Max. He has been a bit player in Tanya's s/ls this year, the cancer, her dream wedding and her secret sister. I want to see him go it alone.
  • Options
    monalisa62003monalisa62003 Posts: 57,010
    Forum Member
    tvhonour wrote: »
    If they can afford to take breaks then why the heck shouldn't they? Honestly, the way some of you talk on here sometimes is absolutely ridiculous, as though you're in the position to say what should and shouldn't be, assuming that because they take breaks they aren't grateful for their positions.

And they hardly come and go as they please. Each case is sanctioned by the powers that be and mutually agreed too based on the circumstances surrounding the need for time off.
    if your in a normal job do they let you take a year off? i doubt it.
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The EE bosses need to get tougher, as this extended break situation is verging on ridiculous now. You don't see this sort of thing happening nearly as often with the casts of Corrie or Emmerdale.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,459
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    So was Patsy but she came back . I think Jo will be back once the year is up. Many people though June would never return again but she is

I'm not so sure about Jo. In fact I think she's probably going to use the year as a achance to do other things. I reckon she misses Laurie for a start and is probably fed up of the repition of Tanya but she's too scared to completely cut her losses.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :):)
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    The EE bosses need to get tougher, as this extended break situation is verging on ridiculous now. You don't see this sort of thing happening nearly as often with the casts of Corrie or Emmerdale.

or hollyoaks :)
  • Options
    Simon RodgersSimon Rodgers Posts: 4,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »
    Wow a year, I like Tanya maybe she needs this long break so she can come back as the old Tanya.
    I don't think I'm going to miss her, especially her hypocritical and snobby attitude.

To be honest when any star leave any soap, they are seldom missed.
  • Options
    CherryRoseCherryRose Posts: 13,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So was Patsy but she came back . I think Jo will be back once the year is up. Many people though June would never return again but she is

The difference is, is that Jo is a good actress and will have offers flooding in if EE dont have her in contract she's going to get a better offer.

A year is a long time for Tanya to be gone and it's going to impact on other characters such as Max, Cora, Abbie and Lauren greatly! If Max is not humping the square then without Tanya what the hell can he possiby do???? Sit back for a year selling cars in the background?

They cant keep Tanya and Max together if she is leaving for that long. If they break them up then there will be no realistically going back for them as a couple.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    I'm not so sure about Jo. In fact I think she's probably going to use the year as a achance to do other things. I reckon she misses Laurie for a start and is probably fed up of the repition of Tanya but she's too scared to completely cut her losses.
    I think she will be back and I won't rule out Laurie returning in the near future either
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    Remember this break was agreed by Kirkwood.
    Lorraine Newman said she's going to put a stop to all the comings and goings.

Funny how no long term breaks have been announced for a while now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »

A year is a long time for Tanya to be gone and it's going to impact on other characters such as Max, Cora, Abbie and Lauren greatly! If Max is not humping the square then without Tanya what the hell can he possiby do???? Sit back for a year selling cars in the background?

They cant keep Tanya and Max together if she is leaving for that long. If they break them up then there will be no realistically going back for them as a couple.

is it weird that i want them to do something with max and shirley? i think it would be great :o
  • Options
    los.kavlos.kav Posts: 8,053
    Forum Member
    CherryRose wrote: »
    We can not have another character go to jail in soap land
    but what lauren did wouldnt equal a years prison sentence would it :confused: surely they wont drag it out till her break?

I'm only guessing. But to be fair, while a long holiday to Jane after getting the all clear from the cancer scan would be believable-ish, what would honestly take a mother away from her kids for a year?
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    tvhonour wrote: »
    If they can afford to take breaks then why the heck shouldn't they? Honestly, the way some of you talk on here sometimes is absolutely ridiculous, as though you're in the position to say what should and shouldn't be, assuming that because they take breaks they aren't grateful for their positions.

And they hardly come and go as they please. Each case is sanctioned by the powers that be and mutually agreed too based on the circumstances surrounding the need for time off.

You would think they do come and go as they please as the revolving door at EastEnders has been working overtime lately.

I have nothing against people who want time off, but is it a good thing for the show to have so many high profile cast members coming and going? EastEnders isn't a charity - and I don't just blame the actors for this, anyone would jump at the chance for a year-long break if they had the opportunity - but in my view TPTB have been way too relaxed about letting so many people go off on extended breaks.

Most working people just don't have that luxury, and most businesses couldn't afford to have so many members of staff swanning off for 6 months at a time, so I don't see why EastEnders should be an exception.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    los.kav wrote: »
    I'm only guessing. But to be fair, while a long holiday to Jane after getting the all clear from the cancer scan would be believable-ish, what would honestly take a mother away from her kids for a year?

i know but tanya has always been selfish. she's done it before so i wouldnt be surprised if she did it again. i cant see lauren going this time though
  • Options
    sarahcadhillsarahcadhill Posts: 2,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she will be back and I won't rule out Laurie returning in the near future either

Remember this break was agreed by Kirkwood.
    Lorraine Newman said she's going to put a stop to all the comings and goings.

Funny how no long term breaks have been announced for a while now.

Where was the info from? About Lorraine stopping all the comings and goings? :)
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,290
    Forum Member
    Where was the info from? About Lorraine stopping all the comings and goings? :)
    I'd also like to stop the revolving door of characters and find that next generation, which I think is very important for the show."

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/soaps/s2/eastenders/interviews/a437316/eastenders-exec-lorraine-newman-on-future-plans-for-soap-interview.html
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DS Union is at work again I see.

Dictating the rights of people to take time out from work. Harping on as though they're the experts.

Jo Joyner may be like Patsy Palmer for the majority of her break where they will effectively be out of contract and no longer under employment for her break. But just said, after a certain amount of time she will consider returning.

Like Charlie Brooks left at the end of her contract and her next contract begins in the New Year.

Not really the same as an office worker asking their boss for 6 months off with no one around to do their job for them and expecting to still get paid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    And when a year is up..... who knows.

And when the year is up...she can stay away! Tanya = eurgh. Max works better alone IMO.

I'm glad, having read the article, that they explicitly cleared Max of the Kat Shagger nonsense. I'm going to copy and paste this link to all threads started on this subject over the next 24 hours.
  • Options
    gentleguygentleguy Posts: 16,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe she is going jail? you never know she could take the blame for lauren or maybe people find out she tried to bury max alive some years back:D:eek:
  • Options
    Arthur CucumberArthur Cucumber Posts: 491
    Forum Member
    Nina Wadia asked for time out and Lorraine declined. So a new precedent has been set.

Before anyone asks, I don't have a source to link to. You'll just have to take my word. :-)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll cover for whoever kills Derek, either Max or one of the girls and go to jail. The truth will later come out and she'll be released eventually.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nina Wadia asked for time out and Lorraine declined. So a new precedent has been set.

Before anyone asks, I don't have a source to link to. You'll just have to take my word. :-)

They wouldn't have let her quit over a break
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    DS Union is at work again I see.

Dictating the rights of people to take time out from work. Harping on as though they're the experts.

Jo Joyner may be like Patsy Palmer for the majority of her break where they will effectively be out of contract and no longer under employment for her break. But just said, after a certain amount of time she will consider returning.

Like Charlie Brooks left at the end of her contract and her next contract begins in the New Year.

Not really the same as an office worker asking their boss for 6 months off with no one around to do their job for them and expecting to still get paid.

It's absolutely pathetic that they've given Jo such a long break, though.

This isn't a general 9-5 job that they do - they need to be available to work at all times. If they can't handle that, then they need to hand their notice in instead of taking one year breaks and only deciding to return if they need the money.

They all get big breaks once their storylines are over. The majority of the time they're off screen for a month or so at a time once the aftermath is done and dusted. If three or four weeks at a time isn't enough for some actors on the show, again, they need to hand in their notice.

I know they work much harder than any general 9-5 job but a one year break, really? Six months is pushing it, but a year? That really is taking the piss.

If an actor doesn't want to renew their contract once it runs out, the producers shouldn't negotiate on a return in a couple of months, never mind a YEAR! They should be saying, "goodbye then, because you're not using us as a cash boost when your money is running low in a year's time."

The actors shouldn't be running the show and should only be taking breaks when their stories dictate.

I'm glad Bryan's gone because he handed them out to everyone - wish he was my boss. I hope Lorraine is much tougher and by the sound of things, she is. At least that's one thing she's put right!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I disagree. I'd rather characters have breaks than leave, although Patsy took it a bit far. Plus it keeps things fresh and makes you look forward to the character coming bsck.
  • Options
    Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Order wrote: »
    It's absolutely pathetic that they've given Jo such a long break, though.

This isn't a general 9-5 job that they do - they need to be available to work at all times. If they can't handle that, then they need to hand their notice in instead of taking one year breaks and only deciding to return if they need the money.

They all get big breaks once their storylines are over. The majority of the time they're off screen for a month or so at a time once the aftermath is done and dusted. If three or four weeks at a time isn't enough for some actors on the show, again, they need to hand in their notice.

I know they work much harder than any general 9-5 job but a one year break, really? Six months is pushing it, but a year? That really is taking the piss.

If an actor doesn't want to renew their contract once it runs out, the producers shouldn't negotiate on a return in a couple of months, never mind a YEAR! They should be saying, "goodbye then, because you're not using us as a cash boost when your money is running low in a year's time."

The actors shouldn't be running the show and should only be taking breaks when their stories dictate.

I'm glad Bryan's gone because he handed them out to everyone - wish he was my boss. I hope Lorraine is much tougher and by the sound of things, she is. At least that's one thing she's put right!

Except it's up to the producer, not you.

They are not needed all the time, that's my point. A character can be written out and focus moved onto other characters. Someone in a 9-5 job can't be as easily covered.
    Also, the actors won't be paid for their time away.

Jo Joyner is clearly financially stable enough to take year out of work to go and enjoy her kids. Good for her.

Not to mention, as I said, everyone throws the word "break" around as though she's taking a year's holiday when effectively she will be out of employment. It's highly unlikely there's any written agreement saying Jo Joyner will definitely return at any time. It's just a case of wanting to go away for a while and them leaving the door open for a possible return.

Going in and out is ridiculous I agree because it causes inconsistency with the plots and creates silly plot lines to write characters out.

But this particular one with Jo Joyner has been agreed for almost a year now and they've worked it into a long running storyline. So, it's no problem.

Just like Charlie Brooks, she's not having a paid holiday. They've worked the gap between her contracts into the storyline.

But I feel ridiculous for even discussing it tbh, it's none of our bloody business. It'll be my last post on it.
  • Options
    Broken_ArrowBroken_Arrow Posts: 10,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is actually great news. Tanya takes up way too much screen time. Now maybe the other actresses will get some of the juicy storylines. This is an exit. There's no guarantee she'll return after a year and I hope she doesn't. The culling of the Brannings is long overdue.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I agree. The producers need to put their foot down. These people should be grateful for the privileged position they're in. There are plenty of talented, jobbing actors who would happily do their job for half of what they get just for the sake of employment. Could you imagine if you walked up to your boss and asked for a 12 month break? You'd be laughed out of the office clutching your P45.

Patsy's the worst - if she wants another break they can send her packing. Bianca would be no big loss IMO.

agree