Options

Worth it going from regular boiler to combi boiler ?

pericompericom Posts: 6,026
Forum Member
I'm getting tired of my boiler, it breaks down every 3 years and its always the fan which costs around £250 for a replacement.

I've been researching boilers and I currently use a regular boiler with cylinder and is it worth going to a combi system ?

What is a good boiler brand. My plumber favours Worcester Boch so I am thinking of the "Greenstar 30CDi Classic Regular" is it any good. I want something that lets me control the hot water temperature.

Comments

• Options
    DiscombobulateDiscombobulate Posts: 4,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When my boiler was being serviced the boilerman said combi boilers are more prone to difficulties and breakdowns especially in hard water areas and hence why they charge more to service them
  • Options
    bostin_austinbostin_austin Posts: 810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely worth changing your old boiler. We changed ours 3 years ago- it had been in the house around 50 years. We opted for a Potterton Gold Combi and it is brilliant- one of the best decisions we made really.
  • Options
    QFourQFour Posts: 555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Our old Worcester at work is still going strong after more than 15 years. It has been apart a few times and had various bits and pieces replaced / repaired. One of the items being the fan. You can fix the fan yourself its not rocket science. Easy to get at.

On the other hand the Potterton Boiler we have at home has struggled from just after the guarantee ran out. Basically it does not work with the casing on. Take all the casing off and its ok. It has corrosion on the board terminals so they have to be cleaned occasionally. Its to clever for its own good though and does a number of checks before even firing up. If anything is wrong then it does not start but it does not tell you what the problem is it just has a red light on and you have to guess.

Combi boilers heat the water as you need it and you don't have any hot water tank. So the airing cupboard does not get warm. You get mains pressure hot water so showers work better. They are far more complicated and more expensive than a normal boiler and you will also need your pipework altering.

If the old one is working apart from the fan then fix the fan .. But don't think I would be paying £250 for the job. You can get the gas board out cheaper than that.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've just had our boiler replaced and Worcester are one of the best brands, most reliable. Ours is guaranteed for 7 years.

Personally I wouldn't want a combi, too much hassle, and anyway we've got a decent hot water tank in an airing cupboard. You must already have a hot water tank so what's the point of a combi?

Get 3 quotes from different plumbers and see what they suggest.
  • Options
    Mystic DaveMystic Dave Posts: 1,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worcester Bosch is the best make. I had mine changed two years ago and the bill fell from £110 to £82 overnight, so you will see some gain quickly. I had thought about a combi, but it happened to be a palava to get it fitted, so I have a new regular boiler, which is small and lives in the garage - freeing up space in the kitchen. I like having an airing cupboard too.

My neighbour put in a combi and British Gas came so many times to try to fix his central heating that they declined to renew his Homecare agreement! We are in a very hard water area.
  • Options
    morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    As a heating engineer, rather than a customer, I'd suggest there are plenty of better makes than Worcester. Look on the Intergas or Viessmann website for a recommended installer and you won't go far wrong.

I'd also suggest you stay clear of a combi if you want to use more than one hot tap at once. Otherwise they are great for single bathroom homes.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP......don't think you will be solving your 'breakdown problems' simply by having a Combi installed. Mine is only seven years old yet it's needed a repair done each year for the past three years. None of the parts are cheap either and also i'd advise you not to bother paying Boiler insurance and Bank the money instead.

By comparison, my old boiler which was virtually a museum piece but basically pretty much shot through age, only needed an igniter replacing.....which cost just six quid!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take it you have a system boiler. They are still available and a lot cheaper than a combi. It would be a lot easier just replacing the system boiler.

Just google "system boiler".
  • Options
    tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dunno if I am missing something blatantly obvious that others in this thread know about but recently having my boiler replaced, doesn't UK building regulations since 2005 require all new or replacement boilers to be combi condensing boilers unless exceptional circumstances can be proven, with the Gas Safe registered installer informing the local authority of the work?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pericom wrote: »
    I'm getting tired of my boiler, it breaks down every 3 years and its always the fan which costs around £250 for a replacement.

I've been researching boilers and I currently use a regular boiler with cylinder and is it worth going to a combi system ?

What is a good boiler brand. My plumber favours Worcester Boch so I am thinking of the "Greenstar 30CDi Classic Regular" is it any good. I want something that lets me control the hot water temperature.

Worcester are my personal favorites. Easy to work on and reliable. I wonder at the charging of a fan every three years when, if it is serviced properly, it should last much longer. I'd suggest your plumber knows he is on to a winner and doesn't bother.
    When my boiler was being serviced the boilerman said combi boilers are more prone to difficulties and breakdowns especially in hard water areas and hence why they charge more to service them

Not really. In my experience any modern boiler breaks down with a similar frequency to another. Most important factors are the make of the boiler and the quality of the installation.
    QFour wrote: »
    Our old Worcester at work is still going strong after more than 15 years. It has been apart a few times and had various bits and pieces replaced / repaired. One of the items being the fan. You can fix the fan yourself its not rocket science. Easy to get at.

On the other hand the Potterton Boiler we have at home has struggled from just after the guarantee ran out. Basically it does not work with the casing on. Take all the casing off and its ok. It has corrosion on the board terminals so they have to be cleaned occasionally. Its to clever for its own good though and does a number of checks before even firing up. If anything is wrong then it does not start but it does not tell you what the problem is it just has a red light on and you have to guess.

Combi boilers heat the water as you need it and you don't have any hot water tank. So the airing cupboard does not get warm. You get mains pressure hot water so showers work better. They are far more complicated and more expensive than a normal boiler and you will also need your pipework altering.

If the old one is working apart from the fan then fix the fan .. But don't think I would be paying £250 for the job. You can get the gas board out cheaper than that.

You have a boiler that you have taken all the casing off, and you're happy with that? :confused:
    As a heating engineer, rather than a customer, I'd suggest there are plenty of better makes than Worcester. Look on the Intergas or Viessmann website for a recommended installer and you won't go far wrong.

I'd also suggest you stay clear of a combi if you want to use more than one hot tap at once. Otherwise they are great for single bathroom homes.

As a heating engineer you should know that a larger combi can cope no problem with multiple taps being used at once.
    woodbush wrote: »
    I take it you have a system boiler. They are still available and a lot cheaper than a combi. It would be a lot easier just replacing the system boiler.

Just google "system boiler".

This. Only go to a combi if you want it's advantages and are willing to settle for its disadvantages.
    I dunno if I am missing something blatantly obvious that others in this thread know about but recently having my boiler replaced, doesn't UK building regulations since 2005 require all new or replacement boilers to be combi condensing boilers unless exceptional circumstances can be proven, with the Gas Safe registered installer informing the local authority of the work?

No. Only condensing boilers. It doesn't have to be a combi. Both combi's and system boilers are condensing these days.
  • Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's certainly no compulsion to have a combi boiler, but it's very strongly indicated that you should have a condensing boiler. From a government document entitled Gas and oil central-heating boilers: Advice to householders:
    From 1 April 2005, we are raising the energy performance standard for new and replacement gas-fired hot-water central-heating boilers. From that date, in normal circumstances when you plan to install a new boiler or replace an existing one, you will need a condensing boiler to meet the higher standards for energy efficiency.

Similar standards applying to oil-fired hot-water central-heating boilers will come into effect on 1 April 2007...

Do I have to have a condensing boiler?
    No. You should have a condensing boiler fitted if it is reasonable to do so, but the law recognises that non-condensing boilers are acceptable if it would be too difficult to install a condensing boiler in your home. Your installer will tell you whether your circumstances are too difficult.
    http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_PTL_GASHEATADVICE.pdf
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    I am thinking of going from a system boiler to a combi-boiler. We have a very old Gloworm fuelsaver Mk2 boiler. It was in the house when we bought it, so I would guess its nearing 20 years old. Still works fine, even if it is inefficient.

There are only two of us, so a combi makes more sense than a system boiler. Heating up the who tank just to wash a couple of pots and pans, does seem a waste.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    I am thinking of going from a system boiler to a combi-boiler. We have a very old Gloworm fuelsaver Mk2 boiler. It was in the house when we bought it, so I would guess its nearing 20 years old. Still works fine, even if it is inefficient.

There are only two of us, so a combi makes more sense than a system boiler. Heating up the who tank just to wash a couple of pots and pans, does seem a waste.

I'll say it again, I wouldn't have a COMBI as a gift. My advice stick with Cylinder and have an airing cupboard.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I'll say it again, I wouldn't have a COMBI as a gift. My advice stick with Cylinder and have an airing cupboard.

why?

Quite a few people say they wouldnt want a combi. However no one gives any valid reason as to why.

I would have thought for a two person house, a combi would be cheaper to run. You then take out insurance, and that will cover any problems with the boiler.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheeky question alert. I'm moving to a new house soon. It has a Ferrolli (combi I think). Are they any good or am I looking at future troubles. As I understand it the vendors recently had it installed so it's practically new.

Back on topic.....
    I currently have a Worc Bosch 240 combi. Had it for years on a BG support contract. One valve issue but otherwise it's been fine. The radiator valves are rubbish though. Tey seem to perish and break off with alarming regularity and in no way control the temp of the rads.
  • Options
    Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    I had mine changed two years ago and the bill fell from £110 to £82 overnight,.

:eek: Blimey - you get through some gas!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cheeky question alert. I'm moving to a new house soon. It has a Ferrolli (combi I think). Are they any good or am I looking at future troubles. As I understand it the vendors recently had it installed so it's practically new.

Back on topic.....
    I currently have a Worc Bosch 240 combi. Had it for years on a BG support contract. One valve issue but otherwise it's been fine. The radiator valves are rubbish though. Tey seem to perish and break off with alarming regularity and in no way control the temp of the rads.
  • Options
    corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Had a Vailliant ecotec plus 831 a few years and its been great.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    My current plumber isnt the same one that charged me £300-£400 for a fan assembly unit. He's a lot better and for small fixes only charges me a small amount £30-£40. He got the boiler working by spinning the fan with his hands and cleaning it, but it doesnt sound right it makes a strange noise. He said he its best to get a new fan.

Ive decided to stay with the a regular cylinder system, having used combi at my sisters house a couple of times I dont like it.

Anyone know what a straight swap with a "Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Classic Regular" would set me back ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ginger Nut wrote: »

Back on topic.....

They don't have really negative reviews. I have a Vokera that are supposed to be crap but has been trouble free for nearly 9 years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My current plumber isnt the same one that charged me £300-£400 for a fan assembly unit. He's a lot better and for small fixes only charges me a small amount £30-£40. He got the boiler working by spinning the fan with his hands and cleaning it, but it doesnt sound right it makes a strange noise. He said he its best to get a new fan.

Ive decided to stay with the a regular cylinder system, having used combi at my sisters house a couple of times I dont like it.

Anyone know what a straight swap with a "Worcester Greenstar 30CDi Classic Regular" would set me back ?

You can buy one for under £1k but your plumber can probably get a discount, I hope he is gas safe registered. You would then have to pay for the labour.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    Had a Vailliant ecotec plus 831 a few years and its been great.

I've also got a Vaillant Ecotec Plus (not sure of the exact model number). It occasionally needs the water pressure adjusting manually but otherwise it never causes any problems at all.
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You can save money on the boiler by ordering it online, we found we could get it for less than the plumbing firm were going to supply it.

Even so, our whole job cost over £6,000. But that was for a Greenstar 40 CDI with low loss header, magaclean filter, two heating zones, new thermostats and a new radiator.

Don't just ask your current plumber, get other estimates to compare prices (estimates are free).
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    why?

Quite a few people say they wouldnt want a combi. However no one gives any valid reason as to why.

I would have thought for a two person house, a combi would be cheaper to run. You then take out insurance, and that will cover any problems with the boiler.
    Well here are my reasons. My last 3 houses have had combi boilers. The current one is a Baxi and has been virtually trouble free. The last one was Vaillant and that was fine too. But I hate combi boilers. I hate having to stand there for ages with the tap running waiting for the water to get hot. At the farthest away point in my present house, that can be a minute or more. And if I pause the operation I have to start over again - so much for convenience. Plus if you like a bath, it can take ages to run.
    I much prefer the old fashioned way of heating up a tank - with a back up immersion heater. If the tank is well lagged it should keep the heat in and be reasonably efficient. I miss being able to turn on a tap - at full flow - and get properly instant hot water. Those airing cupboards were useful too.
    As a single householder, were it not for the combi, it would probably pay me to have a water meter. But with the amount of time I have to leave taps running, it would probably cost me more.
    Combis - not as green as they are touted to be.
  • Options
    TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    why?

Sometimes it's the little things that are annoying.

Such as losing the cold water tank in the loft - which means that (in the winter) ice-cold water is going straight from the mains into the bathroom cistern.

Result?

Absolutely dripping with condensation...