Options

How much did your first comic cost?

Pat_MustardPat_Mustard Posts: 118
Forum Member
I remember going to my local shop and buying the Dandy in 1977 for 6p.

:)

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think my first Transformers UK comic cost about 30p... I think it was issue 28 or something... possibly 1984/85ish
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My first comic would have been The Beano in 1984 which I think cost 12p at the time.
  • Options
    Chelseafan101Chelseafan101 Posts: 2,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    40p for a copy of the Beano in 1997.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    At the risk of being the oldest person on here:

My first UK comic I can remember buying (I had plenty bought for me before that) was Smash. I was about 7 or 8. It cost 6d (1p = 2.4d) pre-decimal.

My first American comic was a Showcase Spectre issue, shortly afterwards. American comics were 10d. They had just gone up from 9d.

They soon went up again to 1 shilling ready for decimalization which was 5p.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    8p for The Beano
    20p for The Eagle
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    8p - 10p I think for 2000AD in the 70's.
  • Options
    jriojrio Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amberite wrote: »
    At the risk of being the oldest person on here:

My first UK comic I can remember buying (I had plenty bought for me before that) was Smash. I was about 7 or 8. It cost 6d (1p = 2.4d) pre-decimal.

My first American comic was a Showcase Spectre issue, shortly afterwards. American comics were 10d. They had just gone up from 9d.

They soon went up again to 1 shilling ready for decimalization which was 5p.
    Roger that. I had Smash delivered, probably because I'd learnt the FF was reprinted inside. The Swots and the Blots was probably my favourite strip.

First comic books were FF# 66 and DD # 33 in September '67 from Coventry market, a shilling each. Very powerful memory of the former.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    My first Comic was the Beezer. It cost 3d. in 1956. :o
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    The Beano, which I think cost 20p at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    7p I think for the first 2000AD in 77, still getting it every week altho it's considerably more than 7p now lol
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 356
    Forum Member
    paulmbe wrote: »
    7p I think for the first 2000AD in 77, still getting it every week altho it's considerably more than 7p now lol

2000AD cost 8p (Earth Money) back in 1977, see here

For me it would've been 5p for a copy of Warlord a couple of years earlier, I've still got the free gift!
  • Options
    ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The earliest I can remember the price of is Action 7p in 1976, but I'd previously had Shiver & Shake, Whizzer & Chips, Whoopee, Disney Weekly, Warlord, Battle before Action came out so I'd guess 4p or 5p.
  • Options
    KodiakKodiak Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    I remember buying Superman (Action Comics) for 6d aound 1955 to 1959. They had a printed price of 10c but rubber stamped in purple ink of 6d.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    10d with 'Thorpe & Porter' stamped on.

This was my first comic

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/0/04/Batman_186.jpg

The clown guy actually gave me nightmares and my mom actually said "No more comics for you!" Of course this was never to be ...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    £2.48 for BeanoMAX issue 15 back in April 2008 in Smiffy's across the road. (Don't know if it's actually called Smiffy's, but they sell stuff under a name called Smiffy's.). Never looked back since. The contents for that issue:
    1: Cover
    2: The Lowdown
    3: Advert
    4: Dennis & Gnasher
    7: Subscription offer
    8: When Nature Goes Wrong!
    10: Deep In The Sumatran Rainforest...
    12: Baby-Face Finlayson
    14: The Arcade
    16: Games Gurus!
    17: Bash Watch
    22: Max Poster
    24: Weird 'n' Wild Creatures!
    26: Minnie the Minx
    29: Beano Club
    30: Creature Conundrums
    32: The Bash Street Kids
    35: Fashion Victims
    36: MAX-imum
    38: Max!
    42: BeanoMAX advert
    43: The Bash Street Kids
    44: Advert
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 98
    Forum Member
    jackbell wrote: »
    10d with 'Thorpe & Porter' stamped on.

This was my first comic

http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/0/04/Batman_186.jpg

The clown guy actually gave me nightmares and my mom actually said "No more comics for you!" Of course this was never to be ...

Excellent first comic.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    12p in '77 Think it was a marvel Two-in-One when alicia masters became a big spider-thing
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 264
    Forum Member
    When I was about 7/8 my mum used to buy me the Beano but I never really knew how much it cost.

The first comics I remember buying where from my local comic shop. Three random back issues in one pack for £1. I don't remember 2 of the comics, but the third was definitely Daredevil.

I also remember buying Marvel Civil War during Uni and them costing about £1.80. Now I pay anywhere between £2.20 and £3.00.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    24p or 28p for a Beano.
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I used to get Beano and Dandy when I was a little kid but I can't for the life of me remember what they cost

I first started buying 2000AD in 1984 with Prog 359 which cost 20p

This week's prog, 1764 cost £2.35
  • Options
    Ryan11Ryan11 Posts: 4,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £11.99 for Buffy Season 8 Volume 1 last year!
  • Options
    Mr SirsMr Sirs Posts: 4,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    The earliest I can remember the price of is Action 7p in 1976, but I'd previously had Shiver & Shake, Whizzer & Chips, Whoopee, Disney Weekly, Warlord, Battle before Action came out so I'd guess 4p or 5p.

It was nicknamed "The Sevenpenny nightmare" at the time by the do gooders because of its content. Got it from Issue 1 and all the annuals too. The content was class - Dredger, Hook Jaw, Hellman Of Hammer Force, Spinball etc.. Only comic in the UK to be banned and so looking forward to Titan's "Best Of Action" published this Spring! :)
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My earliest comic would have been Pippin, very early 70s. A comic then would have been about two pence, I imagine.