Options

Working 7 days a week.

2»

Comments

• Options
    TogglerToggler Posts: 4,592
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi - just wanted to advise you to check the contract for your current job before you get a second one. Some employers will forbid you from taking a second job in case in interferes with your first one, others will allow it as long as you seek permission first, others will be totally fine with it. Best to find out where you stand before acting to make sure you don't put your first job in jeopardy.

Just reading this thread and HH beat me to it. Do please check your contract with your employers before doing anything - it may state no other employment without their permission - and there is an issue of the 48 hour working week. Whatever you do take on make sure it doesn't leave you underpeforming in your main role and making you poorly. Good luck.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Strict wrote: »
    If I got a weekend job where I would say earn 3k a year (I think thats what I earned at Asdas) would I end up paying for Tax so it wouldn't be worth it?

Look at it this way - you'd be taking home the same amount as you would if your main job gave you a 3k pay rise.
  • Options
    Miss HavershamMiss Haversham Posts: 877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a second job in a bar, all of my tax free allowance was used up on my first job, which meant I had to pay full BR rate tax on minimum wage, essentially take home was 50% of my hourly rate, i.e I would work a 5 hour shift for £15 - yes the job was kinda fun and gave me a little extra money, but it was demoralising receiving a wage slip and salary which could only be described as meagre after being on my feet the whole time, going home stinking of smoke(yes, this was a little while ago) and getting covered in beer (never really got the hang of changing barrels!!!)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure why people are insinuating you will pay lots of tax - you get one income tax free allowance earning of £8,105 which will come off your first job. Your second will be fully taxable at 20%, so it's no different to if you were doing more hours in your first job.

In relation to NI, each job is treated individually and you will only pay it if you earn over the threshold each week, currently £146 pw, so if you earn less than this on your second job you will not have to pay NI. In this respect you are paying less than you would be if you were doing the extra hours at your first job.

I have recently taken on a second job every weekday evening and while I really appreciate the money, I do feel like my life is passing me by a little as I am always longing for the weekend.

Hopefully it is only a short term solution for both of us!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    Not sure why people are insinuating you will pay lots of tax - you get one income tax free allowance earning of £8,105 which will come off your first job. Your second will be fully taxable at 20%, so it's no different to if you were doing more hours in your first job.

In relation to NI, each job is treated individually and you will only pay it if you earn over the threshold each week, currently £146 pw, so if you earn less than this on your second job you will not have to pay NI. In this respect you are paying less than you would be if you were doing the extra hours at your first job.

I have recently taken on a second job every weekday evening and while I really appreciate the money, I do feel like my life is passing me by a little as I am always longing for the weekend.

Hopefully it is only a short term solution for both of us!
    I am sorry to hear that! Sadly we have to :-)
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will probably need to tell your primary employers, some companies get funny about their employees not taking enough time off, especially were tiredness could be an issue.
  • Options
    bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ellie82 wrote: »
    In relation to NI, each job is treated individually and you will only pay it if you earn over the threshold each week, currently £146 pw, so if you earn less than this on your second job you will not have to pay NI.

Never heard of that. So having three jobs each paying £140pw, you'd pay no NI at all, compared to the same number of hours in one job, getting £420?