Yaya Toure thinks he doesn't get recognition because he is African

13»

Comments

• Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    He's lucky he's not English, he'd be constantly compared to the greatest players of all time, and derided by everyone bar his own clubs supporters every time he has an off game.

Correct.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    How does he have a valid point ? I see plenty of African players getting recognition. Maybe if he is going to start moaning about this then the Asian players should also make complaints about the recognition the receive.

Maybe they should, although I can't think of one who comes close to Toure's level.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What utter nonsense from Toure.

I think he's spent so much time counting his money over the last 3 years that he has lost all sight of reality.

His ego is getting larger by the sounds of it & if he is not careful, the post office will grant it its own postcode!
  • Options
    blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not read the whole thread but this came to my mind as soon as I read the article.

George Weah - Liberia - West Africa.

FIFA World Player of the Year - 95
    African Player of the Year 89, 94 & 95
    European Player of the Year 95
    Onze Mondial 95
    African Player of the Century

Being African has nothing to do with it.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    blitzben85 wrote: »
    I've not read the whole thread but this came to my mind as soon as I read the article.

George Weah - Liberia - West Africa.

FIFA World Player of the Year - 95
    African Player of the Year 89, 94 & 95
    European Player of the Year 95
    Onze Mondial 95
    African Player of the Century

Being African has nothing to do with it.

Id suggest being African has a fair amount to do with his African POTY and POTC awards? Thats hardly relevant if you have to be African to win them in the first place! :D

However i don't think that is what is being said. I think there is a case where players who are from "traditional" footballing nations do tend to have a bit of a higher profile than those that don't. Thats not saying that any is suggesting that YaYa Toure isn't a world class player or doesn't get praised or anything its just a case that he may be viewed as more of a "superstar" if he was from Spain or Argentina. I can sort of see where he is coming from but i don't think its worthy of huge debate.
  • Options
    super-eaglesuper-eagle Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't it more about his position, rather than his nationality ?
    For example he says..
    Iniesta and Xavi are often praised for their attacking skills, but rarely singled out for criticism when they fail to defend properly. In contrast, Toure claims he is regularly picked on by the media when he makes a defensive mistake.

But isn't Toure supposed to be a more defensive midfield player than Iniesta or Xavi ? He has scored a lot of goals for Man City, but that wasn't his main role for Barcelona. He wasn't a playmaker for them either, so didn't catch the eye in the same way.
    It's just the burden that more defensive players have to carry, out and out defenders have it even worse, they rarely get the recognition they deserve. Most people recognised Patrick Viera as one of the best players of his day, but he didn't get the universal recognition he deserved.

He;s not a defensive midfielder. He reinvented himself as a attacking midfielder.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought he couldn't run anymore, once he reached 30?
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    However i don't think that is what is being said. I think there is a case where players who are from "traditional" footballing nations do tend to have a bit of a higher profile than those that don't. Thats not saying that any is suggesting that YaYa Toure isn't a world class player or doesn't get praised or anything its just a case that he may be viewed as more of a "superstar" if he was from Spain or Argentina. I can sort of see where he is coming from but i don't think its worthy of huge debate.

George Weah from Liberia was widely hailed as a superstar and regarded as the probably the best player in the world for a period in the mid-90's, so I don't think you always have to be from one of football's powerhouse nations to be praised.

Also, what about George Best? He was from Northern Ireland, who are hardly world beaters, and he got, and still gets worldwide recognition as one of the all-time greats.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,036
    Forum Member
    He clearly doesn't read the papers or watch MOTD etc as they are always praising him (quite rightly too)
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    He clearly doesn't read the papers or watch MOTD etc as they are always praising him (quite rightly too)

Exactly.

I presume he is too busy counting his money to notice.

I've heard nothing but praise for Toure, especially this season.

He really needs to start thinking before he speaks in future.
  • Options
    Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    big mac wrote: »
    George Weah from Liberia was widely hailed as a superstar and regarded as the probably the best player in the world for a period in the mid-90's, so I don't think you always have to be from one of football's powerhouse nations to be praised.

Also, what about George Best? He was from Northern Ireland, who are hardly world beaters, and he got, and still gets worldwide recognition as one of the all-time greats.

I think if Weah was from Brazil he would have had a much bigger career. I can see that.

George Best did suffer from where he came from. Are we really arguing that? He was the best player in the world but even now we get the "but he didnt do it in a world cup" nonsense.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    I think if Weah was from Brazil he would have had a much bigger career. I can see that.

George Best did suffer from where he came from. Are we really arguing that? He was the best player in the world but even now we get the "but he didnt do it in a world cup" nonsense.

In what way would George Weah have had a "bigger" career? He played for AC Milan for years in Serie A, which at the time was the world's best league. He won World Player of the Year. If you look at his career history, it would be the envy of many.

With George Best, whenever the all-time greats are discussed, Best's name is always in there (and quite rightly so) amongst the top 5 or 10. I do agree that the one thing that unfairly goes against him is the argument that he can't be considered in this bracket is because he didn't play at a World Cup. Although, quite often that idea is dismissed as rubbish when it gets discussed.