Yeah...but Condaleezza Rice doesn't ;)

Yeah

God gives and then he takes away

:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP. I'm not. I defy most of the popular stereotypes about black people.

I can't dance either.
  • Options
    tauran_shammytauran_shammy Posts: 5,847
    Forum Member
  • Options
    A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Arthur.CrumbleArthur.Crumble Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All the gay people I see on TV are camp and image/sex obsessed?
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Just for the sake of discussion...

Does anybody have an example of a stereotype that is demonstrably baseless?

I ask cos it seems, to me, that a stereotype could only actually come into being if there was, at least, a certain amount of truth to it.

I suspect the trick is to acknowledge the existence of stereotypes while, at the same time, understanding that they're very often an inaccurate and unreliable basis for forming an opinion.

Must admit, it does irritate me when people take stereotypes seriously but, OTOH, it also bugs me when people go to great lengths to refute them as well.

Sometimes it seems (particularly on DS) that you've only got to mention something like "the mad old woman drinking Special Brew on a bus" and there'll be a mob of joyless whiners queuing up to tell you that they're an alcoholic female in their 70's and they've never drank Special Brew while riding on a bus.
  • Options
    nessa456nessa456 Posts: 2,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

Sometimes it seems (particularly on DS) that you've only got to mention something like "the mad old woman drinking Special Brew on a bus" and there'll be a mob of joyless whiners queuing up to tell you that they're an alcoholic female in their 70's and they've never drank Special Brew while riding on a bus.

Yep, you got it! :D
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    there'll be a mob of joyless whiners queuing up to tell you that they're an alcoholic female in their 70's and they've never drank Special Brew while riding on a bus.

Exactly. Everybody knows they usually drink it while driving their mobility scooter.
  • Options
    spoonfulofsensespoonfulofsense Posts: 2,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rasta Mouse
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Of course. Example 1 Example 2, Example 3, Example(S) 4, Last but not least, Example 5

Oh dear. These seem to blow that theory. Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, and Example 4

As other posters have said, stereotyping is often used as 'shorthand' to general trends and scenarios but can also be extremely lazy when dealing with individual situations.
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All my imaginary facebook friends are black, cool, funky and spirutual, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

Lol your on fire today.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh dear. These seem to blow that theory. Example 1, Example 2, Example 3, and Example 4

Funny thing, I'd argue that all those people you've listed DO actually have a lot of style and charisma.
    Guys like Idi Amin and Robert Mugabe don't get where they are by being dull and boring and they can't deceive a population into believing that they have the country's best interests at heart without having some ability to wax lyrical.

Equally, let's not forget that OJ got away with it.
    He didn't retain his freedom without being able to make a damned good job of presenting himself as a sympathetic character.

Not really suggesting that has anything to do with the topic but I just thought it was kinda ironic that out of the millions of dull, boring, black people that must be out there you happened to pick examples that are, at least, ambiguous in their appeal. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like this dissing of The King of Scotland. :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where did you hear that?

people are people, I'm sure there are funky spiritual Asian people or white or latino as well. Everyone has different interest.
  • Options
    Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,371
    Forum Member
    adopter wrote: »

Wasn't he on Jools Holland last week? Very cool :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All my imaginary facebook friends are black, cool, funky and spirutual, so I'm going to have to go with yes.

HA! sounds fair:D
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    Where did you hear that?

people are people, I'm sure there are funky spiritual Asian people or white or latino as well. Everyone has different interest.

Here: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=49497606&postcount=25
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm sure there are funky spiritual Asian people or white or latino as well.

Well, duh!

Everybody knows that asians are spiritual and latinos are funky. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where did you hear that?

deleted
    Epicurean beat me to it
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »

I think that poster is winding people up
  • Options
    myssmyss Posts: 16,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Or seriously showing signs of not getting out much.
  • Options
    Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know we've had our differences but you need to trust me on this - she really isn't

:eek: