Options

Anyone else looking forward to the Europa League this year?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With both Manchester clubs in contention I'm certainly going to give it a go.

The viewing figures for Channel 5 are going to be pretty huge.

Comments

• Options
    Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope. Wish we'd finished bottom just like '05.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,864
    Forum Member
    If United and City meet in the semi final, they could face each other three times in a 10 day period in late April.
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not me.

I am a self confessed arrogant snob when it come to the UEFAEuropaCupWinnersLeague Cup thingy & don't relish the thought of United playing in it.

I actually wish we'd gone out of Europe altogether, rather than dropping into the 2nd tier of European competition.

Saying that, it will boost Channel 5's viewing figures massively & I can see occasions where the Europa League might get more viewers on some nights than some CL games.:eek:
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Alfie2008 wrote: »
    If United and City meet in the semi final, they could face each other three times in a 10 day period in late April.

I'd like to see Man United pummelled by Man City in two one sided semi-finals but with United just edging with a trademark , deflected goal, only to lose 5:0 to Stoke City in the final :)
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You do realise the Europa League has been running all of the season so far and the league bit climaxes next week? It doesn't start now just because a couple of over-hyped English clubs have fallen into it out of the CL! At least 3 of the current English clubs involved in the EL have taken it seriously all season. I will be very surprised if either Manchester club takes it the slighest bit seriously and get beyond the last 16.
  • Options
    ZicoZZicoZ Posts: 7,642
    Forum Member
    Assa2 wrote: »
    You do realise the Europa League has been running all of the season so far and the league bit climaxes next week? It doesn't start now just because a couple of over-hyped English clubs have fallen into it out of the CL! At least 3 of the current English clubs involved in the EL have taken it seriously all season. I will be very surprised if either Manchester club takes it the slighest bit seriously and get beyond the last 16.

Same here , I expect them both to field fringe /youth players.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    Whatever team they field, it wouldn't do Man City any harm to get their UEFA club coefficient improved or they could still be outside the top 2 seeds in next season's Champons League group phase. ( assuming they are there )
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always enjoy the Europa League, there has to be a competition for teams who are not good enough to win the Champions League, like City and United this season.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What if Man U and City fail to progress in the Europa as well?
  • Options
    Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,803
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    What if Man U and City fail to progress in the Europa as well?

UEFA will have to invent a competition for them to drop into & then sell the rights to the games to a new channel called Channel 6.;)
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I will spend every Thursday sloshed.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will be rubbing their hands.
  • Options
    NorthernNinnyNorthernNinny Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 5 will be rubbing their hands in anticipation .
  • Options
    BrumBallBrumBall Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking forward to it? We're right in the middle of it mate, glad to see you've been paying attention!
  • Options
    JMTDJMTD Posts: 7,967
    Forum Member
    Obviously not over the moon about dropping out of the CL, but yeah, I'm still looking forward to see what we do here. Some class teams in it too with the likes of PSV, Valencia, Ajax, City, Madrid amongst various others too.

Been following Stoke throughout this, they've done a brilliant job so far and I'm glad to see them qualifying for the knockout stages. Fancied them doing really well and actually making it to around the semi's area, though things have changed now us, City and even Valencia have entered the fray.

Should be some cracking ties. I wouldn't mind seeing us get somebody like Madrid, could make for a good little tie.
  • Options
    kobashi100kobashi100 Posts: 5,774
    Forum Member
    not at all and wont watch any games!

It is mickey mouse cup! Nobody cares about it. Look at the crowds across Europe on a Thursday night!

Half empty stadiums all over the place.
  • Options
    Assa2Assa2 Posts: 10,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kobashi100 wrote: »
    not at all and wont watch any games!

It is mickey mouse cup! Nobody cares about it. Look at the crowds across Europe on a Thursday night!

Half empty stadiums all over the place.

I don't know what WHL, Craven Cottage or The Brittania have been like but St Andrews has been capacity and banging for every home game so far. It might be a 'Mickey Mouse' cup for the likes of Utd, City & Spurs but it's not for Stoke, Fulham or Birmihgham for whome the chance to play in Europe, even if only the lowly EL, is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

If half-empty stadia is a criteria for measuring the success of a competition (and maybe it is) then the PL, La Liga, Serie A etc... have been in trouble for years.