Torch Relay Anniversary

CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
Forum Member
One year today since the start of the Torch Relay in Britain.

The event was far better than I expected and the way people supported it was amazing.

The DS thread was pretty great too.

I didn't really see it as part of the Olympics, more of an event in its own right.
I will remember it separately from the Games.

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It was terrific wasn't it ?..............

Great memories of watching the live feed and posting on DS
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe it's been a year since the first leg of the relay between Land's End and Plymouth. How time flies. The relay really helped to build up the excitement to the beginning of the Games, and wash away much of the negative media hype. It's a shame you can't watch any on the BBC website, it was all taken down last January. I wonder how the Sochi relay will go. It's due off in October. Wonder if there will be any live coverage on the official 2014 website. The distances will be completely different in scope.
  • swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most of it appears to be on Youtube as people have stuck up their own recordings and uploaded bits off the telly

Perhaps we can use this thread to link to some of the higlights..........

For example here's Bear Grylls zip-wiring the River Tyne...........:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK0zm5stQzg
  • mlayzellmlayzell Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Brings a smile to my face seeing Lewis Hamalton run the first leg out of Luton at 6.30am on a Monday morning, after being seen comming out of a nightclub at 4am and participating the day before in the F1 British GP, what a man:D
  • OpaqueOpaque Posts: 5,286
    Forum Member
    Amazing how it did wipe away the doubt for most people isn't it.
    You never thought you'd get so many people getting up really early and standing in the rain like I did :P
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't get up really early (ours was evening) but I remember standing in the pouring rain on bank holiday Tuesday to see it and actually choking up as it passed.