Inspector Banks is Back

Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-recommissions-dci-banks-stephen-tompkinson#.UuVrb9JFBvE

I noticed that the Wednesday's Child has been changed from the book, where a little girl called Gemma disappears; in this adaptation it is a boy.

It'll be interesting to see how they do Piece of my Heart which was the first Banks book I ever read.

Helen Morton has no place in the story - she doesn't exist in the book.

Comments

• greygrey Posts: 5,025
    Forum Member
    I've read all the Banks books but not seen any him on tv
    To me Stephen Tomkinson just plays the same character in everything he does
    There had to be an actor who could do Yorkshire better than him
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grey wrote: »

Banks isn't a Yorkshireman - he is from Peterborough and worked in London before coming to Yorkshire
  • greygrey Posts: 5,025
    Forum Member
    Banks isn't a Yorkshireman - he is from Peterborough and worked in London before coming to Yorkshire

Oops!
    You're right of course.:blush:
    I still think he wasn't the right actor for the job
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stephen Tomkinson.

I more inept actor it would be hard to find.
  • owl61ukowl61uk Posts: 3,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The books are fabulous however the TV programme just does not bring them to life. I think the casting of Tomkinson was probably the big mistake. he is Ok as an actor just a bit one dimensional
  • Sideburns57Sideburns57 Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't say when it will be shown on ITV? Any whispers people?
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    I also think the TV series is a hopeless failure compared to the books. Tomkinson is only part of the problem.
  • malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,147
    Forum Member
    It doesn't say when it will be shown on ITV? Any whispers people?

Starts next Monday 9pm
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    apaul wrote: »
    I also think the TV series is a hopeless failure compared to the books. Tomkinson is only part of the problem.

I find that true for pretty much every book though. So much has to be simplified to cover the story in a couple of hours, and my imagination has much higher production values than a TV show can.

I have seen the occasional show where I thought the books distinctly average, but the TV show was great - Wire in the Blood springs to mind.

The one exception where I found I liked a TV series based on books I loved was Cadfael, but it's not enough to disprove the rule.

I think (with any series) if you love the books, it's probably best to avoid the TV version
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask, what makes the books better? I've never read any, purely because the odd episode of Banks I've seen on TV has been dull, with predictable plots and little characterisation.

If the books are good, I might give them a go. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Tomkinson.

:D:D:D He runs the full range of emotions from A to B.
  • chrisii2011chrisii2011 Posts: 2,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im planning to watch this tonight but havent seen the previous series,do i need to have watched the previous?
  • StrictlyRedStrictlyRed Posts: 12,451
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can I ask, what makes the books better? I've never read any, purely because the odd episode of Banks I've seen on TV has been dull, with predictable plots and little characterisation.

If the books are good, I might give them a go. :)

There are about 20 books in the series, I think, and I have read quite a few of them. Unfortunately Stephen Tomkinson does not really fit with the picture I have in my head of what Banks is like, either in looks or personality, which is may be why I didn't enjoy the TV series and gave up after a couple of episodes.

In the books, alongside the main plot, you get a sense of his likes, for example his passion for music, and of his family and how they develop and life moves on, and his various sidekicks over time.

You can get a list of the stories with brief plot descriptions on the "Fantastic Fiction" website which I like as a great resource for discovering all sorts of books by authors I enjoy.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/
  • Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im planning to watch this tonight but havent seen the previous series,do i need to have watched the previous?

No they are all stand alone Chris.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are about 20 books in the series, I think, and I have read quite a few of them. Unfortunately Stephen Tomkinson does not really fit with the picture I have in my head of what Banks is like, either in looks or personality, which is may be why I didn't enjoy the TV series and gave up after a couple of episodes.

In the books, alongside the main plot, you get a sense of his likes, for example his passion for music, and of his family and how they develop and life moves on, and his various sidekicks over time.

You can get a list of the stories with brief plot descriptions on the "Fantastic Fiction" website which I like as a great resource for discovering all sorts of books by authors I enjoy.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/

Thanks for the reply - I'll certainly check the books out. :)

As I said, I've tended to find the TV series a bit dull and plodding on the odd occasion when I've caught it before. It doesn't really have anything stand-out about it that would make me watch it. (Such as quirky characters, nice scenery, drop-dead gorgeous detective ;-):D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply - I'll certainly check the books out. :)

As I said, I've tended to find the TV series a bit dull and plodding on the odd occasion when I've caught it before. It doesn't really have anything stand-out about it that would make me watch it. (Such as quirky characters, nice scenery, drop-dead gorgeous detective ;-):D)

No problem.;-)

I rarely buy books - make great use of the local library, and if it doesn't have the one I want, it's so easy to reserve online now, and just collect when they tell you it's ready.

BIB - I don't mind if it's a drop dead gorgeous villain either! I was saying on another thread earlier how I miss Richard Armitage in black leather as Guy of Gisburne in the rubbish that was Robin Hood a few years ago. Only reason I watched.:D
  • TrishaSTrishaS Posts: 3,176
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grey wrote: »

I've read all his books ( the latest is waiting to be read) and tried to watch, but for the same reasons as above I just find ST doesnt fit the role. He's a one trick pony:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No problem.;-)

I rarely buy books - make great use of the local library, and if it doesn't have the one I want, it's so easy to reserve online now, and just collect when they tell you it's ready.

BIB - I don't mind if it's a drop dead gorgeous villain either! I was saying on another thread earlier how I miss Richard Armitage in black leather as Guy of Gisburne in the rubbish that was Robin Hood a few years ago. Only reason I watched.:D

Agree about Richard Armitage. He makes anything worth watching. :)

I should have asked, do you need to read the books in order?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree about Richard Armitage. He makes anything worth watching. :)

I should have asked, do you need to read the books in order?

I didn't, because the first few I picked up quite by chance, and each story is a different case for the police. When I got a bit more hooked, I filled in the missing ones in some vague order. I don't feel that I've missed out in any way, but it's really up to your own preference I suppose.:)

You only really need to read in order if you are bothered about details of his everyday life, such as him being divorced with grown up children before he is married with younger children, or listening to his music on an ipod before cassette tapes, for example. His current sidekick may be different too, so you may not see how those relationships develop.

Hope you enjoy if you decide to read.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't, because the first few I picked up quite by chance, and each story is a different case for the police. When I got a bit more hooked, I filled in the missing ones in some vague order. I don't feel that I've missed out in any way, but it's really up to your own preference I suppose.:)

You only really need to read in order if you are bothered about details of his everyday life, such as him being divorced with grown up children before he is married with younger children, or listening to his music on an ipod before cassette tapes, for example. His current sidekick may be different too, so you may not see how those relationships develop.

Hope you enjoy if you decide to read.

Thanks - I'll see what they've got down the library. :)
  • SmintSmint Posts: 4,694
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was saying on another thread earlier how I miss Richard Armitage in black leather as Guy of Gisburne in the rubbish that was Robin Hood a few years ago. Only reason I watched.:D

There was another reason? :o

I've read quite a few of the books and ST is nothing like how Banks is described in the books. I pictured him more like a younger Wycliffe, and definitely shorter than ST

The books are much how I expect police procedure to be, making very small steps in relation to the crime, with a few lucky breaks and a lot of legwork. The TV show tries to create a fast-paced drama which isn't really like the books

However, I will watch it as the plots are pretty decent . . . providing they don't screw those up as well . . .
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stephen Tomkinson.

I agree.... don't know how he gets the lead in long serial dramas (as they call 'em now) as there never seems any depth to his characterisation and monotonous delivery.
  • Molly HuntMolly Hunt Posts: 840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not over-bothered if the actor playing a role is nothing like my vision while reading the books. Ken Stott is nothing like my picture of John Rebus; David Morrissey looked absolutely nothing like the Tom Thorne in the books, neither did any of the other actors -one, Brigstocke had even changed sex!, but the acting was brilliant by all concerned, so they worked.

Can't sadly say the same for the portrayal of Alan Banks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Molly Hunt wrote: »
    I'm not over-bothered if the actor playing a role is nothing like my vision while reading the books. Ken Stott is nothing like my picture of John Rebus; David Morrissey looked absolutely nothing like the Tom Thorne in the books, neither did any of the other actors -one, Brigstocke had even changed sex!, but the acting was brilliant by all concerned, so they worked.

Can't sadly say the same for the portrayal of Alan Banks.

Sometimes an actor, if they're good in the part, can supercede your previous image of a character. Jason Isaacs did that for me with Jackson Brodie.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem.;-)

Agree with you, love the books not so keen on the tv series. Now Richard Armitage as Banks. mmm yes please:)