VIDEO - Kids React to Gay Marriage (funny, heartwarming, interesting!)

Comments

• steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1Mickey wrote: »
    I didn't say they were cherry picked for this video specifically but they were cherry picked and if the attitudes were not in favour the video would never have been made public. The reason it was put out is so naïve people can fall for the daft idea that 12/13 kids are in favour of same sex marriage and by the looks of this thread its worked.

Genuinely confused here...why is that so hard to believe? :confused:
  • 1Mickey1Mickey Posts: 10,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Genuinely confused here...why is that so hard to believe? :confused:

I'm amazed someone would actually ask that.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm amazed that someone on DS would avoid answering a question...
  • FrightfulBoarFrightfulBoar Posts: 885
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's not really confused, people use that smiley only when they're trying to pretend they're confused. It should be renamed "faux confusion"

My brother in law, from a very liberal household, is 13 and he, along with his friends, thinks gays are hilarious. If the truth were known, that's probably as far as non-indoctrinated kids go with that sort of thing.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason it was put out is so naïve people can fall for the daft idea that 12/13 kids are in favour of same sex marriage and by the looks of this thread its worked.

The 12/13 year olds that I know have certainly been raised to believe that equality is a good thing. It's only kids who are fed bigoted nonsense by their parents who would say otherwise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FMKK wrote: »
    I'm amazed that someone on DS would avoid answering a question...

I'm not avoiding it. Its just shocking that people fall for that.

In answer to the question, children normally have differing opinions.
    I left school 18 years ago, my youngest sibling left 10 years later and some of my sisters kids are still at school. Most of my friends also have young kids and one thing thats still the same is the word Gay being used as an insult or as way of saying something's rubbish.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 12/13 year olds that I know have certainly been raised to believe that equality is a good thing. It's only kids who are fed bigoted nonsense by their parents who would say otherwise.

Oh the hypocrisy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh the hypocrisy.

What hypocrisy, exactly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not avoiding it. Its just shocking that people fall for that.

In answer to the question, children normally have differing opinions.
    I left school 18 years ago, my youngest sibling left 10 years later and some of my sisters kids are still at school. Most of my friends also have young kids and one thing thats still the same is the word Gay being used as an insult or as way of saying something's rubbish.

They're just using it as another word in that context though, that doesn't mean they actually have a problem with gay people. Prejudice is learned, not innate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're just using it as another word in that context though, that doesn't mean they actually have a problem with gay people. Prejudice is learned, not innate.

Both points of view are learned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What hypocrisy, exactly?

Maybe because you come across as so very intolerant of views other than your own...

Equality - fine to indoctrinate children that this is the best way

Everything else - bigoted rubbish

That equality is "best" is only an opinion, while it might be public opinion it's not inherently "right".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What hypocrisy, exactly?

I'm sure you can figure out how to use a dictionary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe because you come across as so very intolerant of views other than your own...

Equality - fine to indoctrinate children that this is the best way

Everything else - bigoted rubbish

That equality is "best" is only an opinion, while it might be public opinion it's not inherently "right".

Oh my, how predictable.

Yes, I'm intolerant of bigots. I've absolutely no problem saying that and no problem in saying that, in fact, it is inherently right to be a good, decent person rather than someone who thinks it's ok to repress people for no good reason.

The good reason bit being key there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you can figure out how to use a dictionary.

Avoiding the question? I am surprised.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Both points of view are learned.

The difference is that the other "point of view" is one that says to be tolerant of others and not try to get involved in their personal lives. I'd rather that than the alternative which you seem to be in favour of.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh my, how predictable.

Yes, I'm intolerant of bigots. I've absolutely no problem saying that and no problem in saying that, in fact, it is inherently right to be a good, decent person rather than someone who thinks it's ok to repress people for no good reason.

The good reason bit being key there.

Well I'm tolerant of bigots, it's their choice to believe what they want and I respect freedom of belief.

I suppose that's the difference between a real liberal and a plastic, for attention, liberal.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I'm tolerant of bigots, it's their choice to believe what they want and I respect freedom of belief.

People can believe what they want. It's when those beliefs turn into actively trying to prevent the freedoms and happiness of others that we have a problem.

There is no good reason to be opposed to gay marriage. None whatsoever. Nobody is disadvantaged by allowing gay people to marry.

There is plenty good reason to fight against people who actively seek to deny marriage to gay people. Lots of people are disadvantaged by not allowing gay people to marry.

That is the difference.

I suppose that's the difference between a real liberal and a plastic, for attention, liberal.

Comedy gold, right there.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There's a difference between respecting someone's right to an opinion and respecting the opinion itself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The difference is that the other "point of view" is one that says to be tolerant of others and not try to get involved in their personal lives. I'd rather that than the alternative which you seem to be in favour of.

Intolerance is more common on your side of the fence nowadays.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Comedy gold, right there.

People often say that when they've got no actual opinion.

Tell us why you don't agree. Unless you do.
    There's a difference between respecting someone's right to an opinion and respecting the opinion itself.

Thanks for letting me know that there's a difference between two different things.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My opinion on your little analysis of liberals is that you were doing exactly what you've just criticised me for doing, but hey ho, what's new eh?

I'll repost my main thoughts though, seeing as you missed them.

People can believe what they want. It's when those beliefs turn into actively trying to prevent the freedoms and happiness of others that we have a problem.

There is no good reason to be opposed to gay marriage. None whatsoever. Nobody is disadvantaged by allowing gay people to marry.

There is plenty good reason to fight against people who actively seek to deny marriage to gay people. Lots of people are disadvantaged by not allowing gay people to marry.

That is the difference.

Thanks for letting me know that there's a difference between two different things.

To be fair, you do seem to be struggling.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Really? That's your debating style? I'm off in that case, I prefer interacting with people who are open to an actual proper debate rather than petty jibes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't say they were cherry picked for this video specifically but they were cherry picked and if the attitudes were not in favour the video would never have been made public. The reason it was put out is so naïve people can fall for the daft idea that 12/13 kids are in favour of same sex marriage and by the looks of this thread its worked.

But didn't the video just prove that in one case, 12/13 kids are in favour of it? :p
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anachrony wrote: »
    ... Is a perfect example of how a xenophobe bigot views Others.
    dee123 wrote: »
    Meh. You're American. You probably still believe your own hype. Your heyday is decades over.

You are the gift that keeps on giving, dee123. Way to prove Anachrony wrong.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    But didn't the video just prove that in one case, 12/13 kids are in favour of it? :p

At best it shows that kids who volunteer for that kind of promotional campaign are more accepting of the latest trends regarding opinion. At worst it shows kids are a very good means for manipulating adults.