Options

Police to re-examine the death of Kurt Cobain

AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just heard that police are to re-examine the death of Kurt Cobain from the band Nirvana. Although at the moment it isn't a full investigation.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nirvana-star-kurt-cobains-death-3265619

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This belongs in the showbiz area
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This belongs in the showbiz area

I might be mistaken here, but I thought the guy was a musician?
  • Options
    DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You are not mistaken.;-)

I remember reading that his death wasn't classed as suspicious until an author wrote a book (can't remember author's name, nor have I read the book) and he had put two and two together and made five.

Just found it

Who Killed Kurt Cobain?: The Mysterious Death of an Icon by Hans Holzer (1 Jan 1999)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Who-Killed-Kurt-Cobain-Mysterious/dp/0806520744/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1395399537&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=who+killled+kurt+cobain
  • Options
    livingdeadgirllivingdeadgirl Posts: 624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this should be left well alone, it was 20 years ago and I can't see anything new coming to light at this stage.
  • Options
    ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I was a massive Nirvana fan back in the day, and Nirvana's albums are still in the top ten of my favourite music ever.

But Jesus, let it lie, not again. He killed himself, there is nothing mysterious about it, anyone with a passing interest in Kurt Cobain knows that he was a tragedy waiting to happen.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're not re-opening or re-examining it, just reviewing the case file anticipating questions about it around the anniversary -

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2014/03/20/kurt-cobain-death-investigation-reopened-report-says/
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well, there is threads about other singers in here, the showbiz forum. Unless they just allow talk that's to do with singers' careers in the music forum. I'm assuming that's where this thread was.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    They will re-investigate the death, and determine that he shot himself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I re-investigated his music and found it a little overrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They will re-investigate the death, and determine that he shot himself.

They're not re-investigating.
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    dmuk wrote: »

Lol :D you might be right in retrospect but at the time it felt like my headphones had let off a bomb in my student bedsit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Well, there is threads about other singers in here, the showbiz forum. Unless they just allow talk that's to do with singers' careers in the music forum. I'm assuming that's where this thread was.

Yes it was. You're probably right. It was a rare foray into the music forum and most of the threads seemed to be concerned with who's taken the crown off Beyonce, or some other pop star, as the next Queen of Pop, or who's going to be number one, or other obsessions about chart positions.:D
    So maybe this is the correct forum to actually have a proper discussion.

It does feel a bit like a children's forum, so really I don't mind my thread getting moved over here so much, as I probably feel a bit more comfortable with the general way posters communicate on here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Normally I wouldn't say that his music was overrated, generally speaking.
    But if we were to compare the music of Nirvana and Pixies, I'd say that Nirvana were overrated and Pixies were underrated.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're not re-investigating.

Same thing as re-examining.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well the article says
    They said the scene was more clearer than earlier Polaroid photos and pledged to re-examine all the evidence in the case - but stopped short of launching a full reinvestigation yet.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/nirvana-star-kurt-cobains-death-3265619#ixzz2wehH5WVj
    Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook

I think that they want to examine some details, namely these Polaroid photographs, as they may reveal something important.
    But I think 'Investigation' is used more as an official term where it is spread wider into a full investigation where all facets are looked at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well the article says

I think that they want to examine some details, namely these Polaroid photographs, as they may reveal something important.
    But I think 'Investigation' is used more as an official term where it is spread wider into a full investigation where all facets are looked at.

Again, there's not much of a difference

The re-examination will surely conclude that he died when a bullet blew his head off

A re-investigation would conclude that the bullet blew his head off when he put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, after deciding to kill himself.

Not sure what other facets there are in this case, unless they want to delve into all that conspiratorial "he was murdered" bollocks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Again, there's not much of a difference

The re-examination will surely conclude that he died when a bullet blew his head off

A re-investigation would conclude that the bullet blew his head off when he put a gun in his mouth and pulled the trigger, after deciding to kill himself.

Not sure what other facets there are in this case, unless they want to delve into all that conspiratorial "he was murdered" bollocks.

Well they are different if an examination just entails of looking at these photographs.
    An investigation is something official which is wider spanning.

The conclusion of an examination would be whether to decide to open a full investigation or not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They're not doing either. The statement from the police which followed the mis-informed report (possibly based on the new photos released) says all they're doing is reviewing the information about the case to prepare themselves for any questions they may be asked around the anniversary of the death. The case remains closed, no re-examining or re-investigating.

http://edition.cnn.com/2014/03/20/showbiz/kurt-cobain-death-probe/
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think over time that music that was game changing at least in your own life does lose impact a tad (especially if you played nearly to death at the time) but to say it was over-rated was wrong IMO. It's always makes you look cooler to say that something that's popular was over-rated but that doesn't necessarily make it so - I find Oasis much more over-rated but at the time and especially in retrospect .

I'm inclined to agree that although Courtney may not have helped matters that she didn't actually kill him and that he was probably not going to live to a ripe old age - a deeply troubled invididual with a lot of demons that he sadly couldn't overcome - it's just heartening to know that his daughter seems to be a well balanced invididual who isn't prey to the same demons as her parents.
  • Options
    The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO Nirvana's music was timeless and at times, genius. No way are they overrated.
  • Options
    katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMHO Nirvana's music was timeless and at times, genius. No way are they overrated.

It's a shame there isn't a high five smiley that I could put in that this point.