Options

Most shocking TV moment you've ever witnessed?

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,443
Forum Member
✭✭
Given how much- particularly nowadays- that TV producers love to shock their audiences with unexpected plot twists and shocks aplenty, what have been the moments where your jaw has hit the floor? Here are some of mine, in no particular order:

Helen Flynn's head being dunked into the chip pan- Spooks
Frank pushing Zoe in front of the subway- House of Cards
Claire revealing the name of the man who raped her live on TV- House of Cards
President Palmer being killed off literally two or three minutes into Season 5- 24
Nina being revealed as the CTU mole- 24
Chardonnay's funeral at the beginning of the second series- Footballers' Wives

Comments

• Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    May I be the first to say the Red Wedding in Game of Thrones.
  • Options
    petelypetely Posts: 2,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    South Vietnamese general shoots prisoner in the head. I watched it when it was broadcast 40-odd years ago and have never forgotten it.

BTW, it wasn't drama. It happened and was shown on british TV. I won't post a link as people who have only seen sanitised, fictional violence probably couldn't cope with the real thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I could I have forgotten that one!
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    On seeing the title of the thread my first thought was the woman having her head deep fried in Spooks, when her hand was put in I had to look away but the head dunking caused me to stop watching Spooks for a whole season and I had previously loved that show. I'm not usually squeamish but it was very out of context for that show.

I'll need to google it but also in Waking the Dead there was an episode where one of the main characters fell/was pushed off a bridge and died quite early in a season, definitely unexpected!
  • Options
    sianlovescatssianlovescats Posts: 1,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sucking pig on today’s Saturday Kitchen gave me a bit of a WTF moment! *Barf*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I could I have forgotten that one!

How could I have forgotten that one
  • Options
    EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's the one which immediately sprang to mind on reading the thread title.

A recent episode of The Walking Dead with the demise of two young girls was also very shocking.
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My son was in that sequence :)

Came home that evening wearing his prosthetic 'cut throat' and we have it in a box for prosperity :D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Damien Hirst ''tribute'' in Hannibal!!
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the wright way - ben elton
  • Options
    sheltsshelts Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got to be the deep fat fryer in Spooks
    and Ernest Bishop getting shot in Corrie (no spoilers back then)
    Lots of news items
  • Options
    Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is a real shock moment from 1991.....a fist fight broke out on an Australian daytime TV chat show during a very heated debate about Australia becoming a republic :D

http://youtu.be/G5MUM_s02r8?t=1s
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The young policewoman being picked up by a guy dressed as a female nurse and thrown out of the top window of the hospital room in Line Of Duty
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    petely wrote: »
    South Vietnamese general shoots prisoner in the head. I watched it when it was broadcast 40-odd years ago and have never forgotten it.

BTW, it wasn't drama. It happened and was shown on british TV. I won't post a link as people who have only seen sanitised, fictional violence probably couldn't cope with the real thing.

I couldn't agree more.

This was the first thing that occurred to me when I read the thread title. The most shocking thing I have ever seen, on TV or off it. I was in my teens at the time, and I've never forgotten it.
  • Options
    misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eraserhead wrote: »
    A recent episode of The Walking Dead with the demise of two young girls was also very shocking.

A few people mentioned this on my news feed when it was aired, I don't watch it but even friends I know who regularly watch quite gruesome stuff found it disturbing - can I ask what it was that made it so shocking?
  • Options
    Mairi_CameronMairi_Cameron Posts: 350
    Forum Member
    A few people mentioned this on my news feed when it was aired, I don't watch it but even friends I know who regularly watch quite gruesome stuff found it disturbing - can I ask what it was that made it so shocking?

A young girl (age 10 or 11) killed her younger sister (age 8 or 9) so that she could become a zombie (setting her free in the older girl's eyes) and the older girl was then shot in the head by their female carer as she was always going to be a danger to whoever she was with.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three moments on tv have gotten me rushing to the computer to discuss it.

1. The Red Wedding - GoT
    2. Mid season episode of season 4 "Too Far Gone" - The Walking Dead
    3. The Grove - The Walking Dead

Not so shocking but awful anway
    Channel 5 Live Benefit discussion
  • Options
    woot_whoowoot_whoo Posts: 18,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tales of the Unexpected episode, "The Flypaper" had a horrific and haunting ending.
    It starts with news reports about a missing girl's body turning up in a local pond, and the episode itself is about a young, downtrodden schoolgirl who has to catch the the bus home to her rural home. All through the journey, she is harassed and pestered by a sleazy older man. She deliberately gets off at an earlier stop than usual and the man follows her, stalking her. Luckily, an old woman spies him attempting to grab her and rescues the girl, telling the man he ought to be ashamed of himself for harassing young girls. The old woman takes the girl back to her cottage so that they can phone a taxi. The little girl is sitting drinking tea in the kitchen when the sleazy old man steps into the house, only to be embraced by the old woman as they both advance on their latest victim.

Of more modern shows, the end of Season 4 in Dexter was pretty shocking.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Chegwin in the Naked Jungle.

Having said that I seem to remember a female rock band on the word, when one of them whipped a tampon out.:o
  • Options
    james_W85james_W85 Posts: 4,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keith Chegwin in the Naked Jungle.

Having said that I seem to remember a female rock band on the word, when one of them whipped a tampon out.:o

when you say whipped out ?
  • Options
    LazySusanLazySusan Posts: 6,419
    Forum Member
    On seeing the title of the thread my first thought was the woman having her head deep fried in Spooks, when her hand was put in I had to look away but the head dunking caused me to stop watching Spooks for a whole season and I had previously loved that show. I'm not usually squeamish but it was very out of context for that show.

It stopped us watching it full stop, never watched it again after that.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm not really that shocked anymore. I think i've become desensitised.

One thing that I did find surprising to be shown on telly though was a baby male calf getting a shot in the head with a bolt gun.

It was on a River Cottage show about veal.
    It didn't bother me too much but I just didn't think they would show something like that, especially in the 8pm-9pm slot. I guess the need to get the message across though.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There have been a few rape scenes in shows which were very difficult to watch.
    Also a few scenes/episodes of Cracker were chilling. They don't really make TV that scary anymore imho.
  • Options
    ukbadgeukbadge Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    The suicide of R. Budd Dwyer
  • Options
    Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    woot_whoo wrote: »
    The Tales of the Unexpected episode, "The Flypaper" had a horrific and haunting ending.
    It starts with news reports about a missing girl's body turning up in a local pond, and the episode itself is about a young, downtrodden schoolgirl who has to catch the the bus home to her rural home. All through the journey, she is harassed and pestered by a sleazy older man. She deliberately gets off at an earlier stop than usual and the man follows her, stalking her. Luckily, an old woman spies him attempting to grab her and rescues the girl, telling the man he ought to be ashamed of himself for harassing young girls. The old woman takes the girl back to her cottage so that they can phone a taxi. The little girl is sitting drinking tea in the kitchen when the sleazy old man steps into the house, only to be embraced by the old woman as they both advance on their latest victim.

Of more modern shows, the end of Season 4 in Dexter was pretty shocking.

I haven't seen many of the things mentioned here....possibly thankfully! :o But reading this spoiler gave me the shivers. I actually wouldn't dream of watching Tales of the Unexpected these days but often did when they were first broadcast. God knows why, many were fine and quite harmless, but others were quite nightmare inducing. Never saw this episode and am not sure I want too either! :D