Nicole Scherzinger attends Pride of Britain awards, doesn't know who Malala is

_elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
Forum Member
✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2454351/Nicole-Scherzinger-struggles-answer-question-courageous-Pakistani-schoolgirl-Malala-Yousafzai.html

This to me perfectly highlights how fake and self-serving a lot of the celebrities we're meant to admire can be. A lot of comments on the DM site defend Nicole but I find it pretty sad that she's happy to attend an award ceremony that's meant to be about celebrating the bravery of everyday people and all she's able to do is give the usual stock answers of how humbled she feels to be there - anything beyond that is a challenge to her.

I'm sure she wasn't the only celebrity there who didn't know about Malala's story but it does just highlight how much of a publicity opportunity this awards ceremony has become. :(

Comments

• CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they work very hard and don't have time to listen to the news? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scherzinger or whatever her name is has always been a fake gold digger in my eyes, no talent nobody, can't we have Tracy Ullman back from the US instead??
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major own goal by Nicole :o
  • Alien_SaxonAlien_Saxon Posts: 1,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Major own goal by Nicole :o

Not really, I'm surprised this bint can even walk in a straight line.

These celebs live in their own fantasy world where their bums are kissed on an hourly basis and it's the only world they really know.
  • LW09LW09 Posts: 3,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just throwing it out there but I knew a girl got shot but I didn't know her name, nor could I tell you any details of it. I watch the news most days too, so it clearly hasn't been allover the news as the article states.

Who in this thread could honestly give the expected answer in Nicole's position, even if knowing a bit but not much?
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think having a go at her for simply not knowing of this story is ridiculous, to be quite frank. Seems this is the new outrage for people to jump on.

So, she didn't know. She didn't treat Malala with any disrespect, she responded in the best way she could have.
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »
    Just throwing it out there but I knew a girl got shot but I didn't know her name, nor could I tell you any details of it. I watch the news most days too, so it clearly hasn't been allover the news as the article states.

Who in this thread could honestly give the expected answer in Nicole's position, even if knowing a bit but not much?

You honestly have never heard Malala's name? I don't even watch the news but I do keep up my basic knowledge of what's going on in the world by visiting news sites etc, and I've seen Malala's name mentioned plenty. She's a hugely inspirational young woman and I'd expect anyone who took an interest in the news to know who she is.

And if you watched the video, you'd see the interviewer does give some background on who she is before asking the question and Nicole still isn't able to answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think having a go at her for simply not knowing of this story is ridiculous, to be quite frank. Seems this is the new outrage for people to jump on.

So, she didn't know. She didn't treat Malala with any disrespect, she responded in the best way she could have.

If she was asked the question completely out of context I'd get what you were saying, but she's at an awards ceremony where Malala is one of the main recipients, and it's hardly an obscure news story. Is it too much to expect a celebrity to have the vaguest idea of why they're there? :confused:
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    If she was asked the question completely out of context I'd get what you were saying, but she's at an awards ceremony where Malala is one of the main recipients, and it's hardly an obscure news story. Is it too much to expect a celebrity to have the vaguest idea of why they're there? :confused:

I actually agree with that, attending that particular ceremony without knowledge of those being honoured isn't great.

My point is that I get the feeling a lot of people are jumping on the outrage train purely because somebody didn't know the story. You yourself stuck the knife into a poster on here just a post back because they didn't know the girl's name. They weren't commenting at the ceremony, so what was your point there?

Yes, it's a highly inspirational story, and I think it's fantastic that Malala's bravery is being recognised ... but I don't think it's fair to slam someone for simply not having full knowledge of it.

I myself only actually learnt her name recently, but I knew of the event itself beforehand. That certainly doesn't make my respect for her and what she went through any less than that of anyone else.

And as for the people out there who might not know anything of this, and there will be people who don't know, that doesn't make them selfish, vapid morons.

But, in terms of Nicole attending this particularly ceremony, yes, she should have known more than she did. But, this is another case of the outrage machine making something bigger than it should be in my opinion.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's the big deal..so she didn't know this girls name.. Not everyone does
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scherzinger or whatever her name is has always been a fake gold digger in my eyes, no talent nobody, can't we have Tracy Ullman back from the US instead??

How is she a gold digger? She has a successful career of her own and I'm sure plenty of money she has earned herself
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LW09 wrote: »

I really beg to differ. In fact l have heard it so many times l switched off. No disrespect intended.
  • sidsgirlsidsgirl Posts: 4,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You would have expected Nicole to have done a bit of homework wouldn't you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually agree with that, attending that particular ceremony without knowledge of those being honoured isn't great.

My point is that I get the feeling a lot of people are jumping on the outrage train purely because somebody didn't know the story. You yourself stuck the knife into a poster on here just a post back because they didn't know the girl's name. They weren't commenting at the ceremony, so what was your point there?

Yes, it's a highly inspirational story, and I think it's fantastic that Malala's bravery is being recognised ... but I don't think it's fair to slam someone for simply not having full knowledge of it.

I myself only actually learnt her name recently, but I knew of the event itself beforehand. That certainly doesn't make my respect for her and what she went through any less than that of anyone else.

And as for the people out there who might not know anything of this, and there will be people who don't know, that doesn't make them selfish, vapid morons.

But, in terms of Nicole attending this particularly ceremony, yes, she should have known more than she did. But, this is another case of the outrage machine making something bigger than it should be in my opinion.

It wasn't my intention to stick the knife in but I am genuinely surprised that someone who watches the news most days doesn't know Malala's name as I've heard it mentioned a lot. Apologies if it came across in any other way.

Maybe it's not a big deal that Nicole doesn't know her name or story, it's just kind of sad IMO that she was happy to accept the invite to this type of event but didn't do anything to prepare for it. As I said in my original post, I'm sure she wasn't the only celebrity guilty of it.
  • Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member

BIB....That's pretty much the same for me, I knew of this girl and what had happened to her but I didn't know her name until the POB awards.
  • ncl*girlncl*girl Posts: 507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad this story's came out....no one seems to have mentioned the fact that the Pride of Britain awards have clearly become a celebrity publicity opportunity for 'showing they care' about the 'little people'

I mean was it really necessary at the start of the show to have a load of celebrities parading down the red carpet signing autographs, posing for pictures with screaming teenagers?!? forgetting what the awards are about much....
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess it's not just about British people since she, I took an educated guess at who she was, has only been here a year then.
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's the big deal..so she didn't know this girls name.. Not everyone does

Yes, I agree, no need to dump on people because the name Malala means nothing to them. I've heard of her and I'm like...so what?
  • big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have known her name either, but regardless Nicole cones across pretty thick and shallow in this interview. Just the standard stock answers, and why does it take her like ten years to respond to that very basic first question?!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ncl*girl wrote: »
    I'm glad this story's came out....no one seems to have mentioned the fact that the Pride of Britain awards have clearly become a celebrity publicity opportunity for 'showing they care' about the 'little people'

I mean was it really necessary at the start of the show to have a load of celebrities parading down the red carpet signing autographs, posing for pictures with screaming teenagers?!? forgetting what the awards are about much....

I do agree with you.. It's supposed to be about the extraordinary things and ordinary person has done..I switched over at the start because annoys me ..the evening shouldn't be about those celebs attending and all about those they are rewarding
  • Susie_WilcoxSusie_Wilcox Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do agree with you.. It's supposed to be about the extraordinary things and ordinary person has done..I switched over at the start because annoys me ..the evening shouldn't be about those celebs attending and all about those they are rewarding

Yet year after year it seems to be about what Carol Vorderman is wearing....:mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yet year after year it seems to be about what Carol Vorderman is wearing....:mad:

The daily Mirror had page after page of what women where wearing and how good or bad they looked.. I honestly don't care what celeb is wearing what. It's shouldn't be about them ..full stop
  • intoxicationintoxication Posts: 7,059
    Forum Member
    It's the equivalent of going to a job interview and being unable to answer the question "what do you know about the company?" Going to an award show celebrating people's bravery, I would expect people to know the reasons why they are there and if they didn't, that would seem like their reasons being there Are disingenuous if you ask me.
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the equivalent of going to a job interview and being unable to answer the question "what do you know about the company?" Going to an award show celebrating people's bravery, I would expect people to know the reasons why they are there and if they didn't, that would seem like their reasons being there Are disingenuous if you ask me.

Completely agree.

I'm afraid I refuse to watch The Pride of Britain awards. As others have said - the brave recipients of the awards are surplus to requirements - it's Vorderman's cleavage that seems to take centre stage. It's ghastly, the whole thing. It shouldn't be about celebrity egos - but it is.
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2454351/Nicole-Scherzinger-struggles-answer-question-courageous-Pakistani-schoolgirl-Malala-Yousafzai.html

This to me perfectly highlights how fake and self-serving a lot of the celebrities we're meant to admire can be. A lot of comments on the DM site defend Nicole but I find it pretty sad that she's happy to attend an award ceremony that's meant to be about celebrating the bravery of everyday people and all she's able to do is give the usual stock answers of how humbled she feels to be there - anything beyond that is a challenge to her.

I'm sure she wasn't the only celebrity there who didn't know about Malala's story but it does just highlight how much of a publicity opportunity this awards ceremony has become. :(

I didn't watch it for the above reasons. Last time I caught a bit of the PoB awards (2 yrs or so ago), it was filled with the screeching randoms who feature in the DM sidebar of shame. It really is just another excuse for z/celebs to act like they give a sh*it and buy themselves a bit of goodwill.

And yes, for the record, I do think Nicole should have known who Malala is and her backstory, but then I imagine she wouldn't have been the only one attending who is clueless about anything that doesn't directly affect her. She just happened to be the one who was put on the spot.