Options

Atlantis - Series 1 Discussion/Spoilers/Speculation

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Which is simply because they don't do anything with it. I honestly don't understand what the point of that plot thread is because they haven't used it. If they suddenly start to make it in issue later on then that's terrible writing.

I agree, with him starting the series from being in a submerged vehicle therefore must know a bit about diving thus would have some knowledge of first aid would be essential but so far he has been quite thick about injuries. Would hate to got where he did his first aid training. Too many holes :( must have map skill ie looking for his dad, mathematical knowledge would be considerable, some knowledge of oceanography. But we have this guy who never uses these skills. The writers have not thought this through at all.
  • Options
    solenoidsolenoid Posts: 15,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The writers have not thought this through at all.
    It's amazing how eaily people forget that the sum of the squares of the two sides, at right angles, equals the square of the hypotenuse.
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On for now. If the ratings start falling he will be doing the omelette challenge shirtless. :p

I just finished watching it. Ratings must have been good, so the shirt stayed on. They have to get him on SCD, he'd spend more time shirtless there than in Atlantis. He was hungry :D He said he had been living on a diet of broccoli and chicken for seven months during the shooting, which may explain some bland acting choices :D And there's still one week of shooting to go. It's his first big role.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    I just finished watching it. Ratings must have been good, so the shirt stayed on. They have to get him on SCD, he'd spend more time shirtless there than in Atlantis. He was hungry :D He said he had been living on a diet of broccoli and chicken for seven months during the shooting, which may explain some bland acting choices :D And there's still one week of shooting to go. It's his first big role.

And probably his last. :D
  • Options
    Ed SizzersEd Sizzers Posts: 2,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And probably his last. :D
    You beat me to it!:p That said, in an industry where Danny Dyer has been working for ten years, anything's possible!

Sadly, I'm gonna have to miss Jack's dulcet tones... sorry, tone tonight cos the footie's on BBC3. I might watch later on catch-up, but only if a minor miracle occurs and Ariadne gets more to do this week than need rescuing and gazing at Jason in her usual doe-eyed manner. I'm also hoping to win the lottery later.

I wonder which has the longer odds?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not entirely his fault IMO, he got very little to do in terms of developing the character. I think even more experienced actor would struggle to do anything with the nothing he has to work with.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's not entirely his fault IMO, he got very little to do in terms of developing the character. I think even more experienced actor would struggle to do anything with the nothing he has to work with.

I'm sorry but that's not true. An actor with more personality and charisma would have added more character to the part. Even on Saturday Kitchen this morning he was rather meh and lacked any charisma. He reminds me of Lee Mead. Pretty packaging but not much else going on once you unwrap the packaging.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ed Sizzers wrote: »
    You beat me to it!:p That said, in an industry where Danny Dyer has been working for ten years, anything's possible!

Sadly, I'm gonna have to miss Jack's dulcet tones... sorry, tone tonight cos the footie's on BBC3. I might watch later on catch-up, but only if a minor miracle occurs and Ariadne gets more to do this week than need rescuing and gazing at Jason in her usual doe-eyed manner. I'm also hoping to win the lottery later.

Mono tone. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Jason supposed to be a charismatic superhero? He killed Minotaur by an accident and apart from having something that made the satyrs fear him there's nothing that special about him. Only being from a different time, knowing things normal for us, makes him special for his friends. It is expected for a lead character to be charismatic, but this is called Atlantis and not Jason. He's a normal guy thrown into a world of myths. I think at the moment he still did not find his place in that world, but he may grow into it. Maybe that will be his development.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The BBC will usually commission a 2nd series before seeing how they fare. Programs like Atlantis take a lot of planning and preparation and so they will go with gut feeling (or saving face, e.g. "We've hyped this up and splashed loads of money on it so we better pretend it's good!"). Initial viewing figures will have helped them take the plunge as well. But many a rubbish show has got a 2nd season this way and many good programs have only been saved after poor 1st seasons as well. It remains to be seen which way Atlantis goes but Jack Donnelly better hope the Wizard of Oz gives him some charisma and personality this Xmas or it could be more of the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    It is expected for a lead character to be charismatic, but this is called Atlantis and not Jason. He's a normal guy thrown into a world of myths. I think at the moment he still did not find his place in that world, but he may grow into it. Maybe that will be his development.

The problem with this is that he is the lead, a person we have to engage with to feel his pain, his relief, his fear, etc. At the moment all I feel is drowsiness when he is on screen. Also for a program called Atlantis, the world we have been given is just as dull and just as unrealised. It might as well be called Minos or Sparta or Rhodes or Peckham for all the difference it makes. There has been nothing so far that makes Atlantis mythical or mysterious.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is Jason supposed to be a charismatic superhero? He killed Minotaur by an accident and apart from having something that made the satyrs fear him there's nothing that special about him. Only being from a different time, knowing things normal for us, makes him special for his friends. It is expected for a lead character to be charismatic, but this is called Atlantis and not Jason. He's a normal guy thrown into a world of myths. I think at the moment he still did not find his place in that world, but he may grow into it. Maybe that will be his development.

Perhaps he should have been called Kevin
  • Options
    Shawn_LunnShawn_Lunn Posts: 9,353
    Forum Member
    I feel sorry a little for Jack but even I have to admit his acting is a tad wooden in parts. He does need to up his game there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Perhaps he should have been called Kevin

lol :D
  • Options
    LowriLowri Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw a couple of minutes of Jack on Saturday kitchen and I'll admit he didn't look very charasmatic! I don't have a massive problem with his performance in Atlantis though, sure there are better actors but I really don't understand the almost universal criticism of his acting.
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still enjoying the series, just the one big weak link so far for me has been Hercules, the actor seems really miscast, putting on that awful voice and trying so very hard to be funny but failing miserably.

Have to say last week however the character has grown on me a bit now, there does seem to have been a bit of character development since Medusa arrived on the scene (i,e. he's now thinking of other people a bit more). So maybe he'll get less annoying as the series goes on.

Also wish they'd hurry up the overall story arc a bit more, we've had a few lines of 'doesn't he know who he is' etc etc, but they don't seem to be moving this on or even giving any little clues instead just focusing on the story of the week.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were on the run would you really enter a locked room on the say-so of a stranger?

Otherwise, I'm rather enjoying this, the pace is very good, revealing little clues to the plot slowly.
    I even quite like the beetle as the light relief.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The kings son looks llike Dominic West.
  • Options
    chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brilliant episode, could've really done without beetle storyline though, guessing it was supposed to be comedy relief but found it more annoying than anything!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So tonight not only white lies, but false hopes as well

Jason: No, we will bring Ariadne to you.
    Therus: You would really do that for me?
    Jason: No, I will do it for Ariadne.
    Therus: Damn!

The stories are quite anticlimactic. There's always a moment when it's not about what, but how and that's not good enough for me.
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well that was definitely the best episode so far although still very flat in places. At least it drove the story a bit.

Ariadne finally had something to do. She shows promise at least with the idea she now distinctly knows Pasiphae is her enemy and there could be an interesting story around her wanting to protect Atlantis via politics and subterfuge. Whether they do anything with it though...

Although the show did fall into the old Merlin trap where they tended to have it so that if one of their main females played a major role, the other all but disappeared for the week. Ariadne and Medusa have fallen into that pattern and that's disappointing.

I think the 'romance' with Jason is really flimsy because there was absolutely no build up at all and that makes it hard to care about. On the bright side the scenes when he was awkwardly dealing with her was the first time I thought Jason had shown any decent hint of personality so that's a plus!

I still just don't really care about Hercules or Pythagoras. They're just....there...

And what on Earth is going on with Alexander Siddig? He just looks bored most of the time. Now we find out there's a potentially interesting backstory to his character and yes, teasing us works but only if we aren't already desperate for something interesting to happen! Just tell us!

Pasiphae is a very 2D villain. Apparently she wants power because she wants....power! It's a very lazy, rather amateur and shallow way of writing a villain. As a good writer would tell you, every villain is the hero in their own story. Why does she want power? Does she feel she deserves it? Does she feel like she'd make the city greater and do a better job? Just having 'power' as her motive isn't great.

They need to get far better at weaving these things into the story because so far it's nearly all surface and that makes it hard to engage.

Alas next week looks like we're back to the 'story of the week' plot which would be a disappointment. I hope at least it drives the character arcs forward somehow.
  • Options
    Scorpio2Scorpio2 Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    The beetle stole this episode.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found the ending slightly anticlimatic because there was no final confrontation (apart from Jason vs Therus), she struggled to get out of the city and then just went back like nothing had happened.

Thought this was the best episode so far, the plot was fairly complex and touched on several plot arcs, I genuinely didn't know how the episode was going to end up unlike episodes like the bull, baby and minotaur when it was obvious that someway or another everything would be fine!
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best one so far, I thought. Hercules is still annoying in every scene he's in though
  • Options
    clarendelclarendel Posts: 247
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    Well that was definitely the best episode so far although still very flat in places. At least it drove the story a bit.

Ariadne finally had something to do. She shows promise at least with the idea she now distinctly knows Pasiphae is her enemy and there could be an interesting story around her wanting to protect Atlantis via politics and subterfuge. Whether they do anything with it though...

Although the show did fall into the old Merlin trap where they tended to have it so that if one of their main females played a major role, the other all but disappeared for the week. Ariadne and Medusa have fallen into that pattern and that's disappointing.

I think the 'romance' with Jason is really flimsy because there was absolutely no build up at all and that makes it hard to care about. On the bright side the scenes when he was awkwardly dealing with her was the first time I thought Jason had shown any decent hint of personality so that's a plus!

I still just don't really care about Hercules or Pythagoras. They're just....there...

And what on Earth is going on with Alexander Siddig? He just looks bored most of the time. Now we find out there's a potentially interesting backstory to his character and yes, teasing us works but only if we aren't already desperate for something interesting to happen! Just tell us!

Pasiphae is a very 2D villain. Apparently she wants power because she wants....power! It's a very lazy, rather amateur and shallow way of writing a villain. As a good writer would tell you, every villain is the hero in their own story. Why does she want power? Does she feel she deserves it? Does she feel like she'd make the city greater and do a better job? Just having 'power' as her motive isn't great.

They need to get far better at weaving these things into the story because so far it's nearly all surface and that makes it hard to engage.

Alas next week looks like we're back to the 'story of the week' plot which would be a disappointment. I hope at least it drives the character arcs forward somehow.

I agree that this was a good episode. I too find the Jason/Ariadne "romance" hard to believe. They barely spoke a couple of words to each other before this episode.

What did make me chuckle was the way Jason & Co managed to evade a troop full of soldiers by just running a few yards and they did not exactly scour the woods to find them.