Music channels

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

"It has been recognised as the force behind the huge success of the Spice Girl's debut single 'Wannabe' and we are still very much that influence, playing future hits first"

Oh The Box, you really aren't I'm afraid. If I want to see new videos, I've got more chance of seeing them on CSTV or Bliss!
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Box rebrand looks great but it's only adding some new chart.

It should bring back the jukebox selections. Would love to see some of those bubble indents back too.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was trying to make the point that NOW from what i have seen is only catering for the younger generation and that people like me who was in their teens in the 70s/80s who went out and brought the first compilation back in 1983 are being overlooked by those at the top at NOW.

Why cant we have NOW 70s and 80s programmes like what Now does for the 90s. There was some great music from those decades
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Nice to see Vintage TV having a 'Watch Now' service on their website and chances to catch-up on any shows too!
    http://www.vintage.tv/tv/watch-now
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NOW Christmas and MTV Xmas start on 23rd November, but Christmas comes even earlier to VH1 with festive themed slots appearing from Monday 18th November. Just a couple each day, not 24/7 (yet). There's no listings for Bliss or Magic yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NOW Christmas and MTV Xmas start on 23rd November, but Christmas comes even earlier to VH1 with festive themed slots appearing from Monday 18th November. Just a couple each day, not 24/7 (yet). There's no listings for Bliss or Magic yet.

Great so MTV have joined the renaming of channels trend now too.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looks like I have to go to Vintage TV because they decided to turn MTV Classic to a MTV Xmas channel, Way too early.
  • suffolkbluesuffolkblue Posts: 4,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When did NOW tv start I have only just noticed it. But agreed it would be a great channel if it played 80s and 90s too.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So looks like I have to go to Vintage TV because they decided to turn MTV Classic to a MTV Xmas channel, Way too early.

Glad I don't have MTV Classic :D and another reason to AVOID all things VH1/MTV altogether
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was only about three years ago when Bliss went Xmas on Nov 1st.

That was way too early. Seemed weird hearing Shakey that morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see CSC channels now have a faded on screen graphic during adverts now.
  • east_boy_16east_boy_16 Posts: 3,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see CSC channels now have a faded on screen graphic during adverts now.

It's been this way for months, their kids channels and true entertainment do the same. Pointless IMO, never understood why Viacom do it with MTV, Nick, VH1 etc and don't understand why CSC do it either.

Mind you, OT but I'm disappointed in Chart Show TV. Too many ads, comps and talk shows with that awful Stefanie Faleo on it. Horrible graphics too! They make 4Music look good lol
  • welshboy89welshboy89 Posts: 170
    Forum Member
    Not sure if anyone else has noticed but they seem to be promoting Blissmas on Bliss no date is given yet but seen the bumpers for it saying coming soon probably 2 weeks from now as a guess.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic starts showing some Christmas themed slots from 16th November, but like VH1 it's just a few each day to start with.

There's no listings for Bliss yet but they're usually the first to switch to 100% Christmas music.
  • Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bliss are turning to Blissmas from November 14th.
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Magic starts showing some Christmas themed slots from 16th November, but like VH1 it's just a few each day to start with.

There's no listings for Bliss yet but they're usually the first to switch to 100% Christmas music.

I wonder if VH-1 are waiting for the Christmas slots to kick in to unveil the new presentation/logo etc?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    I wonder if VH-1 are waiting for the Christmas slots to kick in to unveil the new presentation/logo etc?

That's possible, as they do change the graphics and presentation at Christmas. I hope they launch the new look soon as VH1 is looking very dated, compared to all the other MTV channels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's possible, as they do change the graphics and presentation at Christmas. I hope they launch the new look soon as VH1 is looking very dated, compared to all the other MTV channels.

Question I have is .... why wait til "christmas" to unveil a "new look" this lot had no problems just changing the logos on MTV without much issue so why does VH1 have to wait so long on an upgrade - it should be updated at same time as MTV stations (if there is any bugs you work them out) - I am so bored of waiting on VH1's new look I can not be half assed with the channel now - no wonder I rather just tune into Vintage TV and they recently updated their artist/song titles but VH1 is just a joke with this lot running MTV! I ain't even going to hold out on any "new" promotion for VH1 on MTV/Viva it'll just be the same MTV ads for MTV whilst VH1 does not get much "new" to show
  • chandleochandleo Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »
    Question I have is .... why wait til "christmas" to unveil a "new look" this lot had no problems just changing the logos on MTV without much issue so why does VH1 have to wait so long on an upgrade - it should be updated at same time as MTV stations (if there is any bugs you work them out) - I am so bored of waiting on VH1's new look I can not be half assed with the channel now - no wonder I rather just tune into Vintage TV and they recently updated their artist/song titles but VH1 is just a joke with this lot running MTV! I ain't even going to hold out on any "new" promotion for VH1 on MTV/Viva it'll just be the same MTV ads for MTV whilst VH1 does not get much "new" to show

On second thoughts they could be re-using last years Christmas presentation and will flip to the new look in January to save having to make any additional effort!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chandleo wrote: »
    On second thoughts they could be re-using last years Christmas presentation and will flip to the new look in January to save having to make any additional effort!

Lets prepare for the "blue VH1" logo again this year ... still in a way defeats the whole point - MTV has had a new look more recent and VH1 is still in 2008 (so technically speaking VH1 new look will be SIX years whilst MTV gets a makeover which seems like every year ... can see where investment is really going here)

If MTV UK sees no "investment" in VH1 then ... save the hassle close it down - do not see the reason why MTV has more priority over VH1 in the UK ie MTV ads appearing on VH1 (Geordie Shore - heavily advertised) - what relevance is that to the VH1 demographic here? Oh thats right its MTV and VH1 is part of the family - come to think about when was the last time anyone seen an ad for VH1 appearing? I am going to say maybe a few years ago but not of anything recent comes to mind and again which channel(s) has got the priority? Of course MTV
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings update: October 28th - November 3rd

Channels sorted by Weekly Reach in '000s
    eg. 4,474,000 watched 4Music this week.
    1. 4Music	4,474
    2. Viva		4,162
    3. MTV		2,441
    4. Magic TV	1,100
    5. MTV Hits	1,011
    6. MTV Music	1,009
    7. The Box	868
    8. Smash Hits	834
    9. Kiss TV	831
    10. Chart Show	773
    11. VH-1	763
    12. Vintage TV	722
    13. Kerrang!	709
    14. heat	622
    15. MTV Live	594
    16. MTV Dance	520
    17. Starz	514
    18. Bliss	510
    19. MTV Base	491
    20. Scuzz	452
    21. Planet Pop	448
    22. MTV +1	447
    23. MTV Rocks	446
    24. MTV Classic	427
    25. The Vault	419
    26. NOWM	412 
    27. Capital TV	401
    28. Heart TV	344
    29. CS Dance	294
    30. Clubland TV	286
    31. BuzMuzik	275
    32. Channel AKA	257
    33. Flava	248

Now Music is performing better than Greatest Hits, which had 272,000 in its final full week on air.

Magic TV always does well and is really the Number 1 music channel, as 4Music/VIVA/MTV show little music.
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    Ratings update: October 28th - November 3rd

Channels sorted by Weekly Reach in '000s
    eg. 4,474,000 watched 4Music this week.

[code]1. 4Music 4,474
    2. Viva 4,162
    3. MTV 2,441
    4. Magic TV 1,100
    5. MTV Hits 1,011
    6. MTV Music 1,009
    7. The Box 868
    8. Smash Hits 834
    9. Kiss TV 831
    10. Chart Show 773
    11. VH-1 763
    12. Vintage TV 722
    13. Kerrang! 709

Now Music is performing better than Greatest Hits, which had 272,000 in its final full week on air.

Magic TV always does well and is really the Number 1 music channel, as 4Music/VIVA/MTV show little music.

Magic does what it sets out to do extremely well - plus it's on a multitude of platforms which must help. Always seem to be showing a female-friendly countdown of top film soundtracks or similar.

The variety on Vintage is to be commended, but it's just way too broad. It goes from 50s songs to heavy metal within the space of a couple of hours. They could do with 2 or 3 channels being a little more specific. Some of the Neil McCormick interviews are very good - the one with Bob Geldof was better than a similar one on the Beeb.

Good that there's still music channels at all really - youtube looked like it was going to kill them off completely.
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VH-1 playing those classic 90's DISCO hits those tunes you danced to including ermm Bon Jovi Always :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    VH-1 playing those classic 90's DISCO hits those tunes you danced to including ermm Bon Jovi Always :confused::confused:

Guess its a "mood" killer for a disco anthem of the 90's .... what bloomin planet are the cast/crew of that spaceship VH1 on?? :eek:

More to the point I am more confused why the "decades" have a "disco" theme to it when the anthems ain't even "disco" related! Why not just call it a party or basically "your friday night/saturday night"

I did notice that MTV Dance "programme" listing was off (top left at logo) - but they were still on its sister stations :confused:

VH1 is really getting ran into the ground lets be honest ... you just have to tune into a programme thats meant to be related to a "theme" and they still bugger it up :rolleyes: and as I know I keep moaning about but still no upgrade since MTV's was updated over a month or so its beyond pathetic - Maybe its time for some of these channels to close - as by looking tonight I seen the same song on about 4 channels within an hour (John Newman - Need You) (like the song but come on that is what is WRONG with these channels its the same songs stuck on a rota)
  • steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kezo wrote: »

VH1 is really getting ran into the ground lets be honest ... you just have to tune into a programme thats meant to be related to a "theme" and they still bugger it up :rolleyes: and as I know I keep moaning about but still no upgrade since MTV's was updated over a month or so its beyond pathetic - Maybe its time for some of these channels to close - as by looking tonight I seen the same song on about 4 channels within an hour (John Newman - Need You) (like the song but come on that is what is WRONG with these channels its the same songs stuck on a rota)

Maybe they will upgrade VH-1 and Magic after the Christmas graphics have finished.