Waiting to turn into junction when light changed red

2»

Comments

• d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,524
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    How do people not know this?! It happens to me practically every time I turn right at a junction. How can people drive around without this situation occurring on a daily basis?

O/P does already know it. God knows why he/she started the thread.
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its better to treat the junction like a box junction if your trying to turn into a side road. as there may be a camera watching you and if your trapped in the middle of junction after red is shown your guilty of jumping it.
    but the original question made no sense as you can turn left fine in the uk unless they mean right or not in uk
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a01020304 wrote: »
    its better to treat the junction like a box junction if your trying to turn into a side road. as there may be a camera watching you and if your trapped in the middle of junction after red is shown your guilty of jumping it.
    but the original question made no sense as you can turn left fine in the uk unless they mean right or not in uk

No, no, no.

You are allowed to stop in Box Junctions if you are turning right and are blocked by oncoming traffic.

Rule 174: https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

For non-controlled ordinary crossroads. https://www.learnerdriving.com/ld-system/driving-lessons/crossroads.htm

Good luck in your cruising round M/C city centre otherwise ;-)
  • RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,071
    Forum Member

Rubbish! The box junction pertains to if the bit you're moving into is clear. If the right turning is clear you can wait in a box junction for the oncoming to clear.
  • scotty22scotty22 Posts: 1,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was waiting to turn left into a junction at a set of lights that were at green, I drove over the line and waited in the middle but none of the oncoming traffic would let me turn into the junction. The lights changed to red and I went then only as I felt I'd have been posing a danger to remain in the position I was in as cars would have been crossing. Pretty sure I did the right thing but can't help but think a court letter is on it's way. Anyone advise?

.... you drove when they were green who gives a shit where you stopped. Dont worry you wont be getting any letter you could wait all day in the middle of a junction if you want. Most traffic lights dont have cameras anyway I have been through loads of reds and never had a letter.
  • gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    I think you are worrying needlessly but your paranoia is understandable with all the cameras about

you need to understand how they work

if you look at the road coming up to junction there are 2 loops buried in it, these are the sensors

http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/pavement/wim/pubs/if10018/images/Fig%202.jpg

when you cross on a red it detects you crossing ithe last one and fires the camera

if you were past it and actualy in the junction then it wont fire
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wrong.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if a light is green you shouldn't proceed if you can't be sure you can pass through before the lights change to red.
    :confused: That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Either there are a lot of wums on this thread, or there are a lot of novice drivers, or there are people who really shouldn't be driving at all - which includes anyone who freely admits they persistently drive through red lights. Jeez.
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green does not mean go!

Toby is right, you shouldnt go on green if you dont think it is safe to proceed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    corf wrote: »
    Toby is right, you shouldnt go on green if you dont think it is safe to proceed.
    Well, clearly.

Judgement is better when based on fact and visual information rather than guestimates of traffic light sequences / timings.
  • MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green does not mean go!

He's not right in saying that you shouldn't move forward if your exit is blocked.

If you are turning right, you move forward and take up a position to move right - assuming there is space and you are not blocking any ped crossings etc. You then complete the turn when save to do so. You do not sit and wait behind a green light for no reason, as you are holding up the flow of traffic. Doing so would be a fail on your driving test.
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reality of modern driving is that it is sometimes impossible to obey the highway code to the letter. For example, when traffic is queuing in box junctions from another direction you have no choice but to enter and wait in queue as there is no point when the exit is ever clear.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Green does not mean go!

What he said could be interpreted in a couple of ways. If he meant anticipate the lights changing to red before you get to the stop line then that is fair enough.

If he meant don't go if you think the lights will change to red when you are half way across the junction then that is wrong. On the basis that it is difficult to know when the lights will change you would never cross the stop line, just in case.

If you are going straight on and the exit is blocked then it is advisable to sit at the stop line and wait for the exit to clear. If you crossed over and the lights changed before you cleared the junction chances are you would be blocking the side road. ie treat the junction like a box junction even if there are no yellow lines on the road.

If the only thing stopping you turn right is oncoming traffic then you can take up a position in the middle of the junction and wait for a gap. Even if that gap occurs after the lights have turned red.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    If he meant don't go if you think the lights will change to red when you are half way across the junction then that is wrong. On the basis that it is difficult to know when the lights will change you would never cross the stop line, just in case.
    That is exactly why the original statement made no logical sense to me.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

This is definitely not correct. How can you jump a red light after you have passed the stop line during green?

I have to navigate 3 right hand turn box junctions every morning. If I did as you say above, it would take me forever to get to work.
  • njpnjp Posts: 27,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mentorist wrote: »
    I have this problem most mornings on my way to work, but only because two or three cars coming the other way jump the red light! The change in lights is delayed so that those turning right have time to move but that is completely redundant when a stream of oncoming cars keeps coming after their light has changed to red and thus putting the car turning right into danger!
    Alan1981 wrote: »
    I see so many cars jumping red lights early in the morning on the school run it's scary.
    Heresy! All seasoned readers of DS threads know that only cyclists jump red lights.

It is a bit shocking that a lot of drivers in this thread don't know how to make right turns.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xela M wrote: »
    How do people not know this?! It happens to me practically every time I turn right at a junction. How can people drive around without this situation occurring on a daily basis?

Indeed, I'm amused by those people saying "that happened to me once", it happens every time you turn right in an urban area.

If you didn't move into the junction when oncoming traffic was coming, you'd be waiting at the lights all day, nobody would ever turn right!
  • Seth1Seth1 Posts: 676
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    :confused: That makes no logical sense whatsoever.

Either there are a lot of wums on this thread, or there are a lot of novice drivers, or there are people who really shouldn't be driving at all - which includes anyone who freely admits they persistently drive through red lights. Jeez.

When I was waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing, the red man turned to the green man when he stopped at the line because there was no room on the other side to proceed without blocking it. The green man then got really angry at me because I had started to cross within my right. So I just ignored him as I had probably done the right ting.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seth1 wrote: »
    When I was waiting to cross at a pedestrian crossing, the red man turned to the green man when he stopped at the line because there was no room on the other side to proceed without blocking it. The green man then got really angry at me because I had started to cross within my right. So I just ignored him as I had probably done the right ting.

If you were in the USA you might be prosecuted for Jaywalking.
    In Japan you would be ostracised.
    In North Korea you would be shot.

(your English might be better btw)