Options

What's your favourite ballroom dance style?

2»

Comments

• Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Ellie_ wrote: »
    Ballroom: Tango, hands down. Quickstep too, and a good foxtrot is lovely but I personally find it pretty difficult!

Latin: Very tough to decide... I like all of them and go through phases what I like the best. I do love how the samba looks and the music it's danced to is the most infectious imo. I love paso doble as well... I like the different feeling it has to the other latin dances which are more fun/flirtatious.

I also love watching argentine tango and would love to learn how to do it but I feel like I need to find myself a hot man first. ;-)

While I totally agree a hot man is a desirable accessory to take to an Argentine Tango dance class, it isn't strictly necessary. I gather that it is the norm to attend ballroom dance classes as a couple but in my experience the custom is not so prevalent in AT.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ellie_ wrote: »

I also love watching argentine tango and would love to learn how to do it but I feel like I need to find myself a hot man first. ;-)

Go for it. You will find loads of us hot men at Argentine tango classes and milongas. And you don't even have to talk to or listen to us or even buy us a drink. In classes couples rotate after every dance and in milogas (social dances) couples rotate after every tanda (a group of three or four songs).

But it is addictive. I was inspired by Vincent & Flavia on SCD and now dance AT three times a week.
  • Options
    Jennifer_FJennifer_F Posts: 4,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dekaf wrote: »
    I love them all, apart from the Rumba (if that is classed as ballroom). I think the music for the dance is really important, and also the the outfits they wear. Overall, I think the Quick Step is my favourite, especially when the man has a suit on, with the long jacket, and the music is 20's/30's/40's. I also really like the Paso, with Spanish'ish music, and the American Smooth (Fred and Ginger style).

Rumba is classed as a Latin American dance, and to pick up on another comment, I think for all Ballroom dances it should be mandatory for the man to wear a tailsuit. I really dislike this growing trend on SCD to dress the men in what amounts to jeans and T shirt or jumper. Dress men in tails with the lady in a Ballroom dress and you have instant glamour.Surely this is one of the reasons that a lot of people watch the show...to see some glamour.I'm not sure why the BBC are doing this, its a) a cut budget or b) they think it will appeal to younger people. In some of the dances, it looks as though they have just come in off the street, put on some dance shoes and have gone to practice.
  • Options
    Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Quickstep is my favourite Ballroom dance, followed by Tango.

Jive is my favourite Latin American dance, followed by Samba.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jennifer_F wrote: »
    Rumba is classed as a Latin American dance, and to pick up on another comment, I think for all Ballroom dances it should be mandatory for the man to wear a tailsuit. I really dislike this growing trend on SCD to dress the men in what amounts to jeans and T shirt or jumper. Dress men in tails with the lady in a Ballroom dress and you have instant glamour.Surely this is one of the reasons that a lot of people watch the show...to see some glamour. I'm not sure why the BBC are doing this, its a) a cut budget or b) they think it will appeal to younger people. In some of the dances, it looks as though they have just come in off the street, put on some dance shoes and have gone to practice.

Not sure about tails. Black tie is sufficient and will look the part and is relevant to many people when thinking of a wedding or office party.

Jake looked pretty good in his tango.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNaLLFnpCdA

Though I draw the line at Jake's ready tied bow tie particularly with a butterfly collar. I always undo my bow tie at the end of a wedding or dance as one in the eye to those who come with ready-tied bows :cool:

Oh I haven't worn jeans and/or a T-shirt since the 1970s ...
  • Options
    socialdancersocialdancer Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Quickstep, both to watch and to dance. Not enough traditional quickstep (or traditional anything else) on SCD these days though.
  • Options
    An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Rumba is classed as a Latin American dance, and to pick up on another comment, I think for all Ballroom dances it should be mandatory for the man to wear a tailsuit. I really dislike this growing trend on SCD to dress the men in what amounts to jeans and T shirt or jumper. Dress men in tails with the lady in a Ballroom dress and you have instant glamour.Surely this is one of the reasons that a lot of people watch the show...to see some glamour.I'm not sure why the BBC are doing this, its a) a cut budget or b) they think it will appeal to younger people. In some of the dances, it looks as though they have just come in off the street, put on some dance shoes and have gone to practice.

You would think wouldn't you? :)

*** sigh ****
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well they had Mark Benton in tails last year ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXYwAmC1qIE