BB13 Really Was A Brilliant Series

dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
Forum Member
✭✭✭
.It's so underrated on here, it had a great cast (Caroline, Deana and Lydia in particular are pretty much the nearest Channel 5 has ever got to having Classic Housemates). The Insiders vs Ooutisders Dvivide made the B Block vs The Whisper Club Divide of Big Brother UK 9 seem weak and it had a lot going on - Benedict's preaching ad exit, Lydia's scheming, Deana beating Arron and Conor in an eviction, Shievonne's meltdown, Caroline sabotaging the Shopping List, Deana's taunting of Luke A "Golden Ticket Charlie!" and the Outsider Final Three. I honestly feel like it gets abuse for being a Channel 5 Series when it was about a thousand times better than anything BB8 onwards and easily the best Channel 5 Series.

Comments

• yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,530
    Forum Member
    dan_ wrote: »
    .It's so underrated on here, it had a great cast (Caroline, Deana and Lydia in particular are pretty much the nearest Channel 5 has ever got to having Classic Housemates). The Insiders vs Ooutisders Dvivide made the B Block vs The Whisper Club Divide of Big Brother UK 9 seem weak and it had a lot going on - Benedict's preaching ad exit, Lydia's scheming, Deana beating Arron and Conor in an eviction, Shievonne's meltdown, Caroline sabotaging the Shopping List, Deana's taunting of Luke A "Golden Ticket Charlie!" and the Outsider Final Three. I honestly feel like it gets abuse for being a Channel 5 Series when it was about a thousand times better than anything BB8 onwards and easily the best Channel 5 Series.

Aaron, Dexter, Gina, Hazel?

It was an awful series let's be honest, possibly not helped by the vote to save rather than vote to evict. Any series which allows Conor to walk out with 50k isn't anywhere near brilliant. You've also listed Caroline sabotaging the shopping list; something Harry (and even Rex) did to much better effect.

I guess it's one saving grace is the fact that BB15 was actually worse.... by quite a fair way too
  • dan_dan_ Posts: 1,950
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was an awful series let's be honest, possibly not helped by the vote to save rather than vote to evict. Any series which allows Conor to walk out with 50k isn't anywhere near brilliant. You've also listed Caroline sabotaging the shopping list; something Harry (and even Rex) did to much better effect.

I guess it's one saving grace is the fact that BB15 was actually worse.... by quite a fair way too

Aaron was awful, I liked Gina and thought she was entertaining but had too much of a nasty streak, Dexter was overrated, Hazel was good but nothing great.

I thought it was brilliant for entertainment personally, it's in my top 4 series along with Big Brother 5, Big Brother 6 and Big Brother 7.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    All the C5 series have been poor, as were the last couple of series on C4.

A great format persistently wasted.
  • Artemis1Artemis1 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes I agree and I don't like big brother messing around with the prize at all.If bb wanted to give money within a task it should be extra not taken from the winner.

I don't think the crown as worst bb ever will ever be lost by bb15 and it would be a real tragedy if big brother ends this year because if it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One of my favourites I'm afraid, except for the Conor prize business and vote to save.
    But then I was a Dexter fan from the start :blush:
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it would have been better had they not given the biggest **** of the series and in the history of BB half the prize money for pressing a button (at least Helen won her dosh on a public vote:p)

also if the mentally unstable fat Chris and Lydia had stayed for longer, they both had the potential to be classic BB bellends :D
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,530
    Forum Member
    One of my favourites I'm afraid, except for the Conor prize business and vote to save.
    But then I was a Dexter fan from the start :blush:

Dexter wasn't in BB13 :confused:
  • IrishdaveIrishdave Posts: 2,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was undoubtedly my favourite civilian series on Channel 5, action packed from start to finish. Though Conor should never have won any of the prize fund!
  • VenetianVenetian Posts: 28,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He wasn't was he? Thanks for posting that, I thought my mind had gone the way of all things for a few moments there:D.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Ch 5 has had many really good housemates, and BB13 had more than any other series. But it had an edge of nastiness that made it quite stressful to watch. Compare BB12, where every housemate got on pretty well with every other housemate most of the time, so BB had to keep stirring up enmity, with BB13, which was riven with bitchiness and tension. I always thought the Turf Wars task was an attempt by BB to build bridges, by putting people into teams with people they were not friends with, but if so, it failed completely.

I did think BB13 had a really good final week. Everyone suddenly seemed to chill out and want to have fun. Both BB12 and BB15 had really dire final weeks, the first one full of bickering and sulks and the second one just the most appalling final line-up.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,109
    Forum Member
    For me it certainly feels like the most complete cast and well fleshed-out series the Ch5 era has produced.
    Though I'm not sure if that's a huge compliment to BB13, or just taking into account the flaws of BB12, BB14 and BB15.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    Everything of bb just seems cheap and nasty now, then again they wanted it to be like TOWIE, geordie shore and made in Chelsea all rolled into one show. I love geordie shore and TOWIE to a certain extent, just don't like bb to be a clone of the shows I've mentioned, about time endemol and channel 5 used some original ideas instead of carbon copy tactics. :( >:(
  • bb2011fanbb2011fan Posts: 2,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I much prefer BB14 as a series and think its the best channel 5 have produced to date. But i still think its good. However it got tiring towards the end due to the nastiness but it was engaging with the constant battle between the insiders and outsiders. A few things annoyed me though aka vote to save,Conor out staying his welcome.conor taking away 50k and lack of fun
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry - only just picked this up.
    I was being oblique. I meant what would I know about anything, after all I loved Dexter.
    :D
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conor getting that £50k was totally worth it simply for the OTT meltdown on here.
  • PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Keviness wrote: »
    Conor getting that £50k was totally worth it simply for the OTT meltdown on here.

maybe the govenment should hand Ian Huntley a million pounds, it would be hysterical to see the the public frothing at the mouth? :D
  • k0213818k0213818 Posts: 5,916
    Forum Member
    In my eyes 13 was a great series, the casting on a whole seemed strong and I love the way how the show ended up being split between the TOWIE-esque insiders and the almost C4 era outsiders, and in particular I think the pacing of the series was quite good as well, the insiders got the early warning with the brilliant Arron boot and then with Caroline's eviction where the public stuck the proverbial two fingers up to the insiders was great as well. On top of that we had one of the best female protagonists in Deana, Becky's fall from grace and Luke S probably becoming arguably the biggest butt monkey the show has ever had.

I will share the sentiment that Conor's eviction does spoil proceedings, but I do feel that people sometimes place too much emphasis on that for their own good when deciding on their opinion of the series, almost as if they see support of 13 as an indicator of supporting Conor's behaviour. The thing was though is that a character like Conor can only get two kinds of ending to their story, the first is a humiliating downfall of Sezer levels, something which simply wasn't going to happen as he had a fan base on the outside keeping him in, and the second is what essentially happened; go out doing something so evil and scummy that no viewer would ever be able to forget or forgive him, and in my eyes stealing 50k from your best friend has to be up there in terms of BB.
  • QueenAmyQueenAmy Posts: 3,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bb13 > Bb14 > Bb15 > > > > > > > > > > > > > Bb12