Options

The Hollow Crown (BBC, Shakespeare)

Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
Forum Member
✭✭
As part of the BBC's "Shakespeare Unlocked" season, this June features the broadcast of "The Hollow Crown", adaptations of Shakespeare's second tetralogy of History Plays: Richard II, Henry IV parts 1 & 2, and Henry V.

BBC Two - The Hollow Crown

The Hollow Crown - Episode Guide

The Hollow Crown - Clips

The Hollow Crown - Trailer

Wikipedia - Richard II (the first of the four films to be shown)

The casts include...

Tom Hiddleston - Henry V

Jeremy Irons - Henry IV

Patrick Stewart - John of Gaunt

David Suchet - the Duke of York

David Morrissey - Northumberland

James Purefoy - Mowbray

...and various others.

Comments

• Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup I know - saw the trailer for Richard II the other day. It looks amazing - can't wait for these films of the Henry tetralogy! Am just in the middle of reading Henry IV part 2 and then I'll have read them all (have read Henry V before).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,062
    Forum Member
    They did this back in the 1960s and it was excellent. This looks from the clips I've seen as thought it might live up to its predecessor. Seems to be done in a traditional, no-gimmicks style, relying on good acting and Shakespeare, which is all you need. When does it start?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rita1 wrote: »
    When does it start?

I've seen it said somewhere that the first film is 30th June but not sure how right that is. I know it's sometime at the end of June though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumping this up for tonight - it's Richard II at 21:00 on BBC2. 7th July - Henry IV part 1; 14th July - Henry IV part 2; 21st July - Henry V. Looking forward to these films! :D
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So long as it doesn't get bumped for the chuffing tennis!
    :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm that's a good point. I'm a huge tennis fan but that would be quite annoying on this occasion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bumping this up for tonight - it's Richard II at 21:00 on BBC2. 7th July - Henry IV part 1; 14th July - Henry IV part 2; 21st July - Henry V. Looking forward to these films! :D

Simulcast on BBC HD as well:p:D:D

It's a long long time since I studied these at school. I wonder if any modern Politicians will come to mind when watching these new versions? Thatcher/Major/Blair/Brown/Mandelson/Cameron/Miliband for example. Be interesting to see how politics has changed over the centuries. Or will come across as just the same. Without the disembowelling and beheading of course.:):)
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    So long as it doesn't get bumped for the chuffing tennis!
    :mad:

I was a bit worried that Simon Schama's Shakespeare (excellent programme, btw) might be cancelled last night, as they were in the middle of a match at 9pm, but the tennis just continued on BBC1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was a bit worried that Simon Schama's Shakespeare (excellent programme, btw) might be cancelled last night, as they were in the middle of a match at 9pm, but the tennis just continued on BBC1.

Casualty on BBC 1 at the same time as the Hollow Crown though. So which will get bumped in the case of Wimbledon(boring:yawn:) overrun?

PS
    Any important matches today at the tennis?

PPS
    Can't find any details on a DVD/BR release. Which seems a bit odd?
  • Options
    Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Casualty on BBC 1 at the same time as the Hollow Crown though. So which will get bumped in the case of Wimbledon(boring:yawn:) overrun?

I've been looking forward to this for ages, and will be seriously miffed if it's not on tonight.

Surely it's too prestigious a production to be just postponed?

"The Men Who Made us Fat" was postponed last Thursday because of tennis, which was mildly annoying, but this is in a different league.

I don't get why the BBC doesn't seem to take these things into account. Why didn't they just schedule The Hollow Crown for after Wimbledon fortnight?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've been looking forward to this for ages, and will be seriously miffed if it's not on tonight.

Surely it's too prestigious a production to be just postponed?

"The Men Who Made us Fat" was postponed last Thursday because of tennis, which was mildly annoying, but this is in a different league.

I don't get why the BBC doesn't seem to take these things into account. Why didn't they just schedule The Hollow Crown for after Wimbledon fortnight?

BIB
    That is slightly worrying. But we will have to see. MrsBK has the tennis on in the front room - I've been exiled upstairs to watch the Prologue of Le Tour. Is it women only today at Wimby? They don't tend to have long matches do they.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matt D wrote: »
    As part of the BBC's "Shakespeare Unlocked" season, this June features the broadcast of "The Hollow Crown", adaptations of Shakespeare's second tetralogy of History Plays: Richard II, Henry IV parts 1 & 2, and Henry V.

BBC Two - The Hollow Crown

The Hollow Crown - Episode Guide

The Hollow Crown - Clips

The Hollow Crown - Trailer

Wikipedia - Richard II (the first of the four films to be shown)

The casts include...

Tom Hiddleston - Henry V

Jeremy Irons - Henry IV

Patrick Stewart - John of Gaunt

David Suchet - the Duke of York

David Morrissey - Northumberland

James Purefoy - Mowbray

...and various others.

Cheers Matt:)
    Just caught up with the various clips and traliers that are out there. This looks a very impressive production. We are talking Game of Thrones type levels here? Not wanting to be too spoilerific. I suppose for some viewers this will be a brand new experience - storywise I mean? Bit I hadn't realised it was going to be so lavish.

A few glasses of Mead will help me get into the mood tonight.
  • Options
    planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    andy murray is playing later ....i would assume they would bump casualty well i HOPE they would
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BIB
    That is slightly worrying. But we will have to see. MrsBK has the tennis on in the front room - I've been exiled upstairs to watch the Prologue of Le Tour. Is it women only today at Wimby? They don't tend to have long matches do they.

As planets said, Murray is on later and other men are playing today too. I would hope they'd show the Murray match on BBC1 rather than 2 if it runs over and bump off Casualty rather than Shakespeare.

Oh the TdF - I like that too. :D Haven't watched the prologue though - will wait for a normal stage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers Matt:)
    Just caught up with the various clips and traliers that are out there. This looks a very impressive production. We are talking Game of Thrones type levels here? Not wanting to be too spoilerific. I suppose for some viewers this will be a brand new experience - storywise I mean? Bit I hadn't realised it was going to be so lavish.

A few glasses of Mead will help me get into the mood tonight.

Yes these films are in period costumes and it does look very lavish. :) Some big name actors and directors involved as well. Unlike you BK, I didn't read any of the Shakey histories at school but I did some modules on Shakey for my degree and read Richard II and Henry V on those. Then I just decided to read both Henry IVs to complete the tetralogy.

I'm going to have to V+ Richard II though (will also have to iplayer the last two episodes of Spiral series 2) as have got my mum's birthday celebration tonight. Hopefully will watch Richard II tomorrow afternoon.

A Guardian article (from yesterday) about the series here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jun/29/the-hollow-crown-shakespeare-bbc2
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    planets wrote: »
    andy murray is playing later ....i would assume they would bump casualty well i HOPE they would
    As planets said, Murray is on later and other men are playing today too. I would hope they'd show the Murray match on BBC1 rather than 2 if it runs over and bump off Casualty rather than Shakespeare.

Oh the TdF - I like that too. :D Haven't watched the prologue though - will wait for a normal stage.

Thanks for the info guys. Let's hope the Murray match is over in straight sets.;):D:D

Wiggins sets the fastest time in the Prologue - Yeah!!!:):)

I like the prologue as it gets my mind in gear for the Tour. Don't watch any other cycling. So it helps me get up to date. The Mountain stages are the ones for me though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes these films are in period costumes and it does look very lavish. :) Some big name actors and directors involved as well. Unlike you BK, I didn't read any of the Shakey histories at school but I did some modules on Shakey for my degree and read Richard II and Henry V on those. Then I just decided to read both Henry IVs to complete the tetralogy.

I'm going to have to V+ Richard II though (will also have to iplayer the last two episodes of Spiral series 2) as have got my mum's birthday celebration tonight. Hopefully will watch Richard II tomorrow afternoon.

A Guardian article (from yesterday) about the series here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2012/jun/29/the-hollow-crown-shakespeare-bbc2

Thanks for the link TLP. :):)

I have know for a while that The Hollow Crown was being filmed and would be on our screens. But didn't realise it would be done like this. ie on location etc, and not a stage bound production.

I studied Shaky for O-Level in the Dark Ages. Never revisited the actual novels. Maybe it's time to do that?

I've found these online.
    http://www.freeclassicebooks.com/william_shakespeare.htm

But I think I prefer holding an actual book in my hand. So may have to hunt the Henry/Richard books down - we have a couple of good second hand book market stalls here. I imagine the Shakespeare will be under the counter in brown paper bags:D:D
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blimey this is incredible.Shakespeare on BBC2 on a Saturday night ? Perhaps the BBC have finally come around to thinking that the general public are not as thick as the BBC think we all are ? Seems like old times on the BBC.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blimey this is incredible.Shakespeare on BBC2 on a Saturday night ? Perhaps the BBC have finally come around to thinking that the general public are not as thick as the BBC think we all are ? Seems like old times on the BBC.

I wonder if the success of The Killing and The Bridge gave them the idea that not quite all of us are brane ded? :D
  • Options
    DenleyDenley Posts: 4,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will this be subtitled drama too? ;):D

I'm recording this tonight but will be watching Spiral. I find Shakespeare daunting (I get the gist of the language but most of it goes over my head:o) but I enjoyed Brannagh's Henry V and Ian McKellen's Richard III films so we'll see.

BK & tlp - the Tour de France is one of my highlights of the sporting year. :cool: Just catching up with the prologue highlights on ITV4 now. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Denley wrote: »
    I'm recording this tonight but will be watching Spiral. I find Shakespeare daunting (I get the gist of the language but most of it goes over my head:o) but I enjoyed Brannagh's Henry V and Ian McKellen's Richard III films so we'll see.

Yes I usually say to people that if you let the language wash over you, you tend to get the gist in the end - especially when you're watching Shakespeare in performance rather than reading the play. You can tell what's going on from the actors' body language and intonation too.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    I wonder if the success of The Killing and The Bridge gave them the idea that not quite all of us are brane ded? :D

Quite so .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denley wrote: »
    Will this be subtitled drama too? ;):D

BK & tlp - the Tour de France is one of my highlights of the sporting year. :cool: Just catching up with the prologue highlights on ITV4 now. :)

We could do with footnotes instead of subs?

Wet Nurse & Wormwood seem to stick in my brain from my school days. Can't remember why though?:o:o

Murray match is still on BBC 1 - no announcements yet. EPG hasn't changed either.

Update
    Commentators talking about roof being closed after current set has been decided.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Richard II starts on time thankfully.

I'm no Shakespeare expert, but this may be something special.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this now...

Patrick Stewart as John of Gaunt looks remarkably like Colonel Gaddaffi :o