Options

How different will life be in 20 years?

Comments

• Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to Moores law the power of microprocessors doubles every 2 years. To put that into context the iPhone is more powerful than the computer system that put the first man on the moon. The idea that we would have personal computers small enough to put in your pocket in 40 odd years would have been incomprehensible to people then. I guess that means where computer technology will be in 20 years is similarily difficult to foresee and will give us capabilities that aren't even on our radar at the moment.

Exciting but a bit scary. I agree with the poster who has suggested that our reliance on technology leaves us exposed to a cyber attack in the future which could have a devastating impact.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Danny_Girl wrote: »
    According to Moores law the power of microprocessors doubles every 2 years. To put that into context the iPhone is more powerful than the computer system that put the first man on the moon. The idea that we would have personal computers small enough to put in your pocket in 40 odd years would have been incomprehensible to people then. I guess that means where computer technology will be in 20 years is similarily difficult to foresee and will give us capabilities that aren't even on our radar at the moment.

Exciting but a bit scary. I agree with the poster who has suggested that our reliance on technology leaves us exposed to a cyber attack in the future which could have a devastating impact.

How close are we to teleporters?

I know they are trying to teleport small items across a room but is the technology far off or is it pure science fiction that humans will ever teleport?
  • Options
    greengrangreengran Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We' ll be on rationed power, only 3 hours a day as the wind farms and solar power won't generate enough power to keep the country running. The use of electric power tools and other small electrical equipment will be banned in the home as the power has to be saved for the Hospitals
    In the South , London will stretch all the way to the South Coast and the East Coast due to the amount of houses being built there.nobody will own their own property anymore, it will all belong to the Government, having been compulsory purchased to make sure no one but Government Ministers and their cronies have money and power.
    I'm quite glad I won't be around to see this once great Country slowly sink beneath the waves.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember 1999, & the 'Millennium Bug' fears?

Not really the same thing as a cyber attack...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Before we predict super computers with warp speed processing in our phones and iPads, we need to drastically improve the battery technology-like BIG TIME. Even now there are rumblings from the public about battery life, if we start making the cpu 4x, 8x, 16x faster with UHD playback, with current tech the battery will need to be the size of a house brick to get more than 10mins useage out of it. CPU's that throttle back to a lower spec to save power can help and we already have to some extent (my laptop has it and that's a few years old now), but it fundamentally is a drop in the ocean compared to what is really needed.
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    transporters and replicators would be good
    like in star trek .

As replicators would cure the world hunger problem.

and transporters would help the environment.

but governments would not like it
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Not quite. By then people had long been introduced to such devices via science fiction, and whilst restricted to sci fi at that time, the concept itself wouldn't have been completely alien to people 40 years ago. If you told them then that in 40 years time we'd have similar devices in real life they'd comprehend just fine. Their heads wouldn't explode or accuse you of witchcraft.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    Before we predict super computers with warp speed processing in our phones and iPads, we need to drastically improve the battery technology-like BIG TIME.
    Coming ... here's one stage
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/science/super-batteries-charge-in-two-minutes-and-last-20-years/article/409388
  • Options
    BigNipperBigNipper Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I don't know but I doubt white dog poo will resurface :(
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    - Scotland will be independent after voting Yes in a second referendum
    - Catalonia & Quebec will also be independent
    - UK, France & Germany will have left the EU
    - Prince Charles will be King Charles
    - BBC will be privatized and showing ads
    - Cold War II between the China & America over oil etc
    - CDs & DVDs become extinct

Or if you want a real idea, here's a site:
    http://www.futuretimeline.net/21stcentury/2030-2039.htm

The article in that link is a pretty good read.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There'll be stuff shown on TV & film which wouldn't be allowed today.

Yeah, that pretty obvious. The people of the '30s would have been shocked at some of the stuff that's shown on TV these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People's will finally have learn't when and where to use apostrophe's
    (fat chance :p)

I'm guessing that was intentional?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    People like driving.......people like being in control......even today people hate the idea (in the UK at least) of cars that change gear for them....automatic + cruise control = woa no way say 80% of the public.
    So, driverless cars....not convinced it will be successful this side of the pond, America is a different matter however.

I am not anti electric car, but I am anti battery power, in its current form. Battery power is just not good enough yet. 100mile range is not good enough, and that's in ideal conditions, on a rolling road where they don't have hills, and doesn't take account of battery life degrading with age.

Trouble with 4g mobile, aside from how good your signal is impacting on your data speed, assuming everyone eventually gets 4g coverage (this is not s given), it will likely still have data caps and higher payments attached to its useage. Fibre broadband on the other hand will likely soon(ish) lose its premium cost and simply replace standard broadband (although the plan clearly states that 2% of existing plain broadband enabled areas will never get fibre broadband). But the point is, the landline is not just for phone, but rather home internet and providing home wifi complete with low cost, high useage capability.

The trouble is though, people aren't always fully awake and aren't able to make decisions properly. Maybe driverless only cars isn't such a good thing, but allowing a driverless car to take over while you have a nap because of not being fit to drive at that time is a good thing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember 1999, & the 'Millennium Bug' fears?

That was different. The fear was that the computers would malfunction because of the computer date might go to 0000.
  • Options
    juliancarswelljuliancarswell Posts: 8,896
    Forum Member
    London will be a smouldering radioactive heap, we will live by bartering, and other than knowing it was most likely islamic terror, we wont know who to blame.😞

Alternately, life will be carrying on much as it does now.😊
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that was intentional?
    n'o :D
    (you missed the other two?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    It won't be any different to what it's like now :p
  • Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    It won't be any different to what it's like now :p

life different now than it was 20 years ago so why don't you think it'd be any different 20 years from now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    n'o :D
    (you missed the other two?)

I saw the people's one, but missed the learn't one. I just looked at the beginning and the end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    I saw the people's one, but missed the learn't one. I just looked at the beginning and the end.
    A'h :p
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ....telephone exchanges are now part of The Natiional Trust ........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was my post. I feel I should add,
    And I am not going to sugar coat this....
    If UK was to be victim of massive cyber attack, the kind of thing to cause mass chaos banks cease working, lights go out, loss of all telecoms, we would likely find ourselves in war with the people who did it. If such an attack was wider reaching, eg effecting all of Europe, maybe the U.S. as well, the retaliation would be greater still-the NATO thing comes into play. If country like China or Russia (Mr......Putin......), were to be to blame it would land us in a world war.
  • Options
    duckyluckyduckylucky Posts: 13,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    life different now than it was 20 years ago so why don't you think it'd be any different 20 years from now

Its not all that differnt . Phones are better , communication is easier , cars are more advanced . Some thing have advanced but daily life is very similar to 20 years ago
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duckylucky wrote: »
    Its not all that differnt . Phones are better , communication is easier , cars are more advanced . Some thing have advanced but daily life is very similar to 20 years ago

in 1994 I had never had a mobile phone, the PC's were slow and there were none in my school, entertainment was still mainly CD/DVD and four tv channels and a video recorder.

So I think it has changed don't you think?
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My abacus was more powerful than the Apollo 11 Moonshot computer :-)

We would cope with a massive outage as we did in the 3-Day Week.

Or in the Second World War when there was only something like one phone per hundred people (How on earth did they manage to organise D-Day?)