Options

Government told to rase speed limits

AdsAds Posts: 37,062
Forum Member
see - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=428642&in_page_id=1770

I wouldn't hold out for the Government doing the right thing, they are disgracefully anti car, and anti public transport!

Comments

• Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is 'raise' and this did come from the Daily Mail...

They will never get round to it...to much hastle to change the signs from 70 too 80:rolleyes: Think how much of OUR money it will cost:eek: They couldn't possible spend that:p
    "This archaic 70mph limit has been with us for over 40 years and is well past its sell-by date,' said ABD policy adviser Nigel Humphries.

Just because it is 'old' doesnt mean it no longer works....
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a good idea, but they would have to improve junctions, but by 2012 they sed all road signs would not be in miles
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote:
    It is 'raise' and this did come from the Daily Mail...

They will never get round to it...to much hastle to change the signs from 70 too 80:rolleyes: Think how much of OUR money it will cost:eek: They couldn't possible spend that:p

Just because it is 'old' doesnt mean it no longer works....

When was the last time you saw a speed limit sign with 70 on it? This is the reason why there is a special sign that signifies "National Speed Limit" applies.

I assume that you aren't actually old enough to drive / don't drive because you wouldn't have made this comment otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    UNcabled wrote:
    When was the last time you saw a speed limit sign with 70 on it? This is the reason why there is a special sign that signifies "National Speed Limit" applies.

I assume that you aren't actually old enough to drive / don't drive because you wouldn't have made this comment otherwise.

He's 15.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When was the last time you saw a speed limit sign with 70 on it?

Emmmm...i last saw about 10 (Both sides of motorway) on a 2.5 mile section of motorway 1 week ago.

You are right...im only 15 so can't drive, but don't go telling me im seeing things...cause im not that blind yet:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He's 15.

With OUR money! no less

I hear they're reforming the Young Conservatives.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UNcabled wrote:

But NSL doesn't apply to special roads.
    Motorways (a form of special road) don't have an NSL, but a 70 mph limit. In England the "chopsticks" start of m-way restrictions sign covers the speed limit change (and the reverse applys to the end of m-way signs); but in Scotland technicalities in the way the law is written mean 70 signs are on all motorway enterances.
    Also non-motorway special roads don't have an NSL so need a defined speed limit, cases of signed 70 mph limits can be found on the A720 and A1 Expressway in Edinburgh.
  • Options
    kevkev Posts: 21,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UNcabled wrote:

Unless your in Scotland where motorways are signed with 70 limits (I'm not sure if they have the concept of NSL signs at all)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote:
    Emmmm...i last saw about 10 (Both sides of motorway) on a 2.5 mile section of motorway 1 week ago.

You are right...im only 15 so can't drive, but don't go telling me im seeing things...cause im not that blind yet:eek:

I think you're seeing things, it's a motorway.

If there are restrictions on speed, you may see a red circle around a number 60 or lower on a white background, but once the restriction is lifted, the sign is a white circle with a black diagonal stripe through it. Since there is no road in the UK with a speed limit higher than 70, there is no point in making a "70" sign.

Edit:
    Oh right. I see you do things "differently" in Scotland. I've got no reason to go, and I remember that Glen drives round up there, so that's another reason to avoid it.

I also don't remember seeing any rules for Scotland in my Highway Code either.

Oh god, I'm really tumbling in now..

National, as in England. I see, I see, I see...

What was Gorgon saying today?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With OUR money! no less

Excuse me!:eek: I was talking collectively:mad:

70mph is marked on the motorways, when you are coming onto them and along them when it is a long strtch of road.
  • Options
    Vite.dfeemtoonVite.dfeemtoon Posts: 5,397
    Forum Member
    What do people think the limit should be changed to, particularly on motorways? I always drive around 80-ish on the outside lane if I can, and even then there's a basket case in a BMW flashing his lights for me to get out the way.

If the limit was 80, wouldn't people go 90 or 100? That's scary!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CoolboyA wrote:
    Excuse me!:eek: I was talking collectively:mad:

70mph is marked on the motorways, when you are coming onto them and along them when it is a long strtch of road.

Not where I live, Jimmy.
  • Options
    freetoview33freetoview33 Posts: 2,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they should germany's roads run much better
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UNcabled wrote:
    I also don't remember seeing any rules for Scotland in my Highway Code either.
    It's quite simple really, you see a 70 roundel, it means a 70 mph limit.
    In England it's a 70 mph limit (not NSL) but the blue sign defines that.
    Here's what you will see as you join a Scottish motorway. The blue signs still mean no stopping, no pedestrians, no L-drivers etc., just not 70 mph so that is signed seperatly.
    National, as in England. I see, I see, I see...
    No, it's NOT National Speed Limit, they apply to all purpose roads, not special roads.
    You can find non-m-way special roads in England, they also have signed speed limits even if they are the same as the NSL would be.
    For example, go to the A558 in Runcorn an you will find it is signed as 60 mph, even the single carriageway part.
  • Options
    ForestChavForestChav Posts: 35,127
    Forum Member
    UNcabled wrote:
    With OUR money! no less

I hear they're reforming the Young Conservatives.
    Who cares if he's 15 or not. IMO he makes a good point.

Signing things NSL is far better. The SE could well do with changing their signing laws so they don't need to sign M-ways 70. In England all they need to do is say "oh well, from x/x/0x the national speed limit will be raised from 60/70 to 70/80" and that's it, because we sign NSL like this (/) not numeric values.

Think on every on-slip on every M-way exit in Scotland they will need to rip down the 70 signs and replace them with 80 signs. How many signs is that, and how much does it cost? If they were to redefine it from 70 to NSL, and then say "well NSL is xx mph" then they could change it in future.

Incidentally, how is the special road section of A1 east of Edinburgh (ie Haddington to Dunbar) signed, speed limit wise?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glen wrote:
    It's quite simple really, you see a 70 roundel, it means a 70 mph limit.
    In England it's a 70 mph limit (not NSL) but the blue sign defines that.
    Here's what you will see as you join a Scottish motorway. The blue signs still mean no stopping, no pedestrians, no L-drivers etc., just not 70 mph so that is signed seperatly.

No, it's NOT National Speed Limit, they apply to all purpose roads, not special roads.
    You can find non-m-way special roads in England, they also have signed speed limits even if they are the same as the NSL would be.
    For example, go to the A558 in Runcorn an you will find it is signed as 60 mph, even the single carriageway part.

The number of special roads in this case is trifling. This will not have a huge impact on the "cost" of changing the speed limits on M-ways one bit, since the original article in the Mail was about increasing Mway speeds to 80mph. Special roads will have to be considered differently, and most will probably be decided to keep the same speed limit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForestChav wrote:
    Who cares if he's 15 or not. IMO he makes a good point.

I didn't realise at the time he was talking about Scottish money.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Scots have done things differently, then they can have their own discussion about changing their road signs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UNcabled wrote:
    I didn't realise at the time he was talking about Scottish money.

As far as I'm concerned, if the Scots have done things differently, then they can have their own discussion about changing their road signs.
    FFS, he has
    (which iirc is near the end of the M9)
    in his profile which displays to the left of his post.

If they ARE planning on changing the signs, it would make better sense for Scotland to adopt a "National Speed Limit" system. As the signage will need altering anyway, then it makes sense. Would bring the countries more into line (although as I hinted on another thread, the differences between Scotland and England, legally, in the education system, etc etc are substantial enough that it *could* be a different country without really much effort.)

Anyway, why is his opinion devalued because he happens to be younger?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right. The Scots can do what the **** they want to. They've clearly already decided to deviate from the English system of marking speed limits, so if they decide to "adopt" any new speed limit as decided by the UK ****ing Government, then they should be prepared to pay the price.

Otherwise, they can stay as they are and not spend any money on replacing their ****ing speed limit signs.

Simple enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right. The Scots can do what the **** they want to. They've clearly already decided to deviate from the English system of marking speed limits, so if they decide to "adopt" any new speed limit as decided by the UK ****ing Government, then they should be prepared to pay the price.

Otherwise, they can stay as they are and not spend any money on replacing their ****ing speed limit signs.

No need to get so touchy...Scotland like being seperate from England (As do the rest of the UK). We are not all the same country if you haven't already noticed.

Im off to bed as i have to get up for work at 0730. Night.

CoolboyA:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UNcabled wrote:

Simple enough.
    Not really.

There's not really a standard way of marking the limits- in England we prefer to use the NSL signs and then separately define what NSL is. That's fine, if you come to change NSL, because then the changes are only paperwork and publicity. In Scotland, they choose to sign each limit explicitly with no concept of NSL. Whilst in some cases that is better (you can see immediately what the speed limit actually is) in others (changing the signs) it is not.

But let's face it, how often is NSL changed? If they are going to have to alter the signage then they might as well alter to a concept of NSL rather than explicitly signing were the limit to be changed again.

Also, there is no "speed limit" for a motorway and any other special road as it is not a right of way. The only difference between England and Scotland is that in England, the 70 limit is subsumed within the start of the motorway restrictions and is considered a part of them, in Scotland it is not (again, they could, and probably should change this legally so they can do away with the roundels). In effect, once you see the chopsticks that means the whole lot - 70 limit, no stopping, no L-drivers, no motorcycles under 50cc (or whatever it is) etc etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UNcabled wrote:

Simple enough.
    Riiight...

So becuase one set of laws is very slightly different from the other it is a deviation from the "norm", even though they were never the same in the first place?
    It is a pretty minor difference in legislation, both Scotland and England have a motorway speed limit of 70 mph, just that in English law that is defined in the meaning of the chopsticks sign, in Scotland it is required to be signed seperately.

If the Scottish Exec. wanted to change the motorway speed limit to 100 mph tomorrow, they could do that as long as they changed all the signs. They don't have to follow the UK goverenment's legislation for England.
  • Options
    Vic MackeyVic Mackey Posts: 4,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What do people think the limit should be changed to, particularly on motorways? I always drive around 80-ish on the outside lane if I can, and even then there's a basket case in a BMW flashing his lights for me to get out the way.

If the limit was 80, wouldn't people go 90 or 100? That's scary!

Saw some research on this that said average motorway speeds would only increase by 4mph if they upped the limit to 80, as everyone drives 80 already.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So is the report saying cars burn less fuel at 78mph than at 70? I thought most cars were more economical at around 55mph and actually used up to 30% more fuel at 70.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's about time they raised the speed limit for us 'press-on' drivers in a hurry.