Options

Debra - Is the flack she gets justified?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
Forum Member
I don't think she should get so much flack like she has been getting in the boardroom. Ok so she is pretty aggressive when she's bought in there, but I think that's because it's soo intense. Outside when they are doing the day to day tasks and speaking to custeomers/suppliers she seems absolutely fine.

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Really? I can kind of accept that people are nasty in the boardroom, but to be honest, I think Debra comes across as rude all the time - to customers, to fellow candidates and to SA. Yeah, I think the flack she gets is justified (based on what we see, which is of course edited).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @OP - Not really.

Last night for example, when trying to sell the rocking horse.

"Either you want it or you don't, if you don't then just leave it" - and the bloke did. And I don't blame him. I'd walk away from a sale if someone said that to me.

She's constantly rude, agressive, thinks she knows better than everybody and dosen't care what people think, which gets you so far and eventually it'll backfire on her.

Either way she won't have many freinds if she is like that in general, which I feel she might be to a degree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is justified. She's aggressive, unreasonable and prone to shout back and blame others rather than accept responsibility for her own mistakes.
  • Options
    PicklebumPicklebum Posts: 1,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debra is very misguided and very stupid as she assumes that the only way for a woman to be successful is to behave like a complete cow.
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    @OP - Not really.

Last night for example, when trying to sell the rocking horse.

"Either you want it or you don't, if you don't then just leave it" - and the bloke did. And I don't blame him. I'd walk away from a sale if someone said that to me.

Indeed. What else could he have done at that point? She broke communication with him and the only thing for him left to do was to walk away... It wasn't as if he was walking away from a bargain..:confused:
  • Options
    SochaSocha Posts: 7,995
    Forum Member
    itv sucks wrote: »
    I think it is justified. She's aggressive, unreasonable and prone to shout back and blame others rather than accept responsibility for her own mistakes.

I agree...

She refused to take responsibility for choosing the rocking horse, until Sir Alan asked them who had the guts to admit responsibility... She was quick to claim responsibility then...

The way she argued with Ben and James in the boardroom to shift blame and responsibility by doing a lot of 'and then he turned round and said', and 'then you turned round and said.'... made her look.... well, not so intelligent so to speak.

She's a bit of streetsmart in my opinion and highly ambitious and she thinks she's better than anyone else which allows her to treat others in a disrespectful way, but she lacks good judgement.

I would be surprised if Alan Sugar did not see through that... maybe he secretly admires a bit of ruthlessness?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    But then from the other side, he wasn't budging, she wanted to budge, but couldn't, and had tried everything possible to get him to budge.

Those kind of tactics can work! The company I work for sometimes also walks away from a deal if there's just no meeting on common ground possible at all. It takes balls to do that, I liked it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    okey doke looks like only me then! No I'm still standing by my point and the end negotiate was a long one - and that was the final thing she could do...way down trying everthing else out I think. Plus if any of you watch the BB2 apprentice straight after most of the rejected candidates speak fairly highly.
  • Options
    newkid30newkid30 Posts: 7,797
    Forum Member
    Amazed she's still there, such a nasty girl, I don't think she's nearly competent a potential employee to warrant putting up with that degree of unpleasantness. she is downright rude, I've dealt with people like her in business and they are a complete nightmare.

She will never learn or change if anything she will get worse. Because she really thinks she is better than everyone else, and never listens.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Much as I dislike her and her way of behaving, I think it's sad and pathetic that there are a number of Facebook pages with titles like "I F*cking Hate Debra Barr" .................

She may be unpleasant and I really can't see what's to like in the girl - because there's been no evidence of it on the show - is there really any need for that, I wonder? :o
  • Options
    CaptainSensibleCaptainSensible Posts: 5,491
    Forum Member
    I think some of the flak is justified (she just doesn't listen/steamrolls people), but not to the extent of hating her.

Hating someone who interpersonal skills leave much to be desired is a bit extreme; she's not as 'deaf' as someone like Margaret Thatcher seemed to be.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After a couple of weeks Debra was my favourite candidate. But now I can hardly stand the sight of her. Her first reaction to any kind of set back is to be rude and obnoxious. Nick was spot on when he described her as charmless. She has to be one of the most unpleasant candidates ever.
  • Options
    PufflePuffle Posts: 2,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do think she deserves some of the flak but not the hatred that seems to be pouring out. She is very, very rude and comes across as arrogant in the boardroom - she shows no remorse for any wrong doings and for speaking to people like they are something the dog dragged in. Last year Claire Young was guilty of the same BUT when SAS pulled her up on it she learnt from his words, changed her ways and was the losing candidate in the final. Debra still has the arrogance that she doesn't need to learn or change.

What I didn't understand last night was why she couldn't have made a call to the Rocking Horse guy to see if he'd accept making the horse in the different wood at the same price as the other to get the sale? We're they not allowed to talk to the suppliers after they'd secured the products?
  • Options
    ebjeebeebjeebe Posts: 7,810
    Forum Member
    I seem to be in the minority. I couldn't stand her to start with but now I seem to understand her a little more, I like her. Strange and very unusual for me as I normally cannot stand people like Debra.
  • Options
    Andy_GAndy_G Posts: 11,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ebjeebe wrote: »
    I seem to be in the minority. I couldn't stand her to start with but now I seem to understand her a little more, I like her. Strange and very unusual for me as I normally cannot stand people like Debra.

I feel the same, I've really warmed to her over the past few weeks.
    Maybe because we've seen her smile and joke about a bit more lately, I don't know.

I actually wouldn't mind her winning!
  • Options
    lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debra seems to talk AT people, rather than TO them.

I'm so looking forward to the TV shopping task, I may be completely wrong and she'll do a great job, or she'll talk like she has verbal dysentry, and be cold and rude.

Now I've got to go youtube the wheelchair and trampoline incidents. It's going to be hard to top that this season. ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I've seen of Debra, she comes across as arrogant, rude, self-centred and, at times, overly agressive. Added to which, I've also seen her, on more than one occasion, tell blatent lies in the boardroom. Whilst I appreciate that clever editing can distort someone's actual personality, the things I've heard and seen her do are still things she's said and done.

Frankly, if I had to work with her, I'd fire myself!
  • Options
    _Kazama_TTT_Kazama_TTT Posts: 1,860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Debra is just looking after herself, she is 'ruthless' because she is passionate about the job. I think if you listen to her, she sounds like someone who knows what they want and does put her point across very well, but coming off as slightly aggressive. If that's what it takes for her to fight off her competition, then that's fair. I think this is why SA hasn't fired her yet. She has spirit and determination.

I like the fact that she stands her ground and has a no nonsense approach. But I still prefer Yasmina and Kate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,239
    Forum Member
    I don't mind her. I think her communication skills are terrible - 'I turned around and...how can you turn around...' and she is way too aggressive. But she doesn't suffer fools, is very confident, ambitious and determined. I think she would be a bit of a softie amongst her friends and family too. A hidden heart of gold! (well ok, that is maybe going too far).

And I liked her impression of sirallen in the car.
  • Options
    EsqualitaEsqualita Posts: 3,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's horrendous. Common, loud and rather ignorant. Self belief is one thing-but she is just plain arrogant and cheap.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she is quite sweet. Well maybe not, But i dont think her behavior warrants any iinsults. She could be a better candidate but everyone has imperfections. I actually hope she wins, or Kate.
  • Options
    robbies_galrobbies_gal Posts: 32,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for some reason siralan likes her even though hes been advised to get rid

i think shes rude arrogant and thinks more of herself than wot she should

i hope she doesnt win
  • Options
    PaacePaace Posts: 14,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Debra could have won that task for her team last night and be hailed as a hero, with Lorraine definitely a goner on the other team, if she had the freedom to negotiate on the price. I'm sure if she was allowed to put in a call to the owner of the rocking horse he would have sanctioned the sale at £1,500.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    I liked Debra the first few weeks before I realised shes a arrogant, ignorant, aggressive, rude individual.

Would you like her in your company? I certainly wouldn't.