DAB with CD player - recommendations?

deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What's the best deal anyone has seen recently on a DAB radio with CD player?

I bought one of the first Goodmans models two years ago for £120 but apart from the ugly new Goodmans and Hitachi models there don't seem to be many about, especially compared to the plethora of radio-only models.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you talking about in-car of hi-fi systems here? If it hi-fi's the Samsung MM-ZJ8 is great got mine from www.qed-uk.com for around £144.
  • Cheshire RobskiCheshire Robski Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also on the lookout for a DAB/CD player, but for the car. I've recently bought a new motor that comes with a radio cassette. :confused: I mean, where can you buy cassettes these days!!

Anyway, there's space for a CD player in the dashboard so I just want a CD player but would like a DAB tuner too, don't need FM. If the CD player is MP3 compatible it would be a bonus. Any ideas??
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's a Ferguson model in Currys for £99 (from Boxing Day), with CD Player, DAB and seperate speakers, quite nice. There's the seperates-style Hitachi, and a Goodmans. There's also a Hitachi CD/Clock radio (£99), and with 'ghetto-blaster' style sets, there is a Hitachi at £79, a Matsui at £79 (also with casette) and a Philips at £99.

The Ferguson looks quite ultra-modern, and I'm not sure I like the look of the speakers, but the sound seems pretty good.
  • SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    I bought the Goodmans (DAB, CD/radio/cassette) from Comet last week for my parents Xmas present. I had a quick play around with it (as you do :) ) and it wasn't bad at all. That was £89 btw. I'd expect to see it for about £79 next week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote:
    I bought the Goodmans (DAB, CD/radio/cassette) from Comet last week for my parents Xmas present. I had a quick play around with it (as you do :) ) and it wasn't bad at all. That was £89 btw. I'd expect to see it for about £79 next week.
    The Goodmans DAB500 does the job, but I was disappointed with the analogue noise at low, (or no), volume. Remember, also, that there's no FM tuner.
    I do find the speakers a bit lacking in top-end, even with the preset EQs.
    On the wire aerial, (upstairs on the wrong side of the house), I can just about fetch in the Capital multiplex 45 miles away in Cardiff through the hills of Maesteg/Pyle, so that's not too bad for sensitivity. Cardiff FM signals from Wenallt are poor here, so the path is not a good one.

The local multiplexes are only two miles away at Kilvey Hill, so the error rates are literally zero, even with no aerial at all.

The build quality is a bit flimsy, and the CD is prone to skipping on scratched media. The remote is useful, but has only 10 presets, and I've not been able to figure out the favorites or tried the station pruning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    In-car CD/DAB: I've got the Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB53 which is just fantastic - really great DAB sound, too.

Home CD/DAB: I use the Hitachi AX68D which is pretty good. I tried the Samsung MM-ZJ8 for about a week but, despite the fact that its sound is superb (for such a system), I gave up on it cos the user interface was so appalling. Well, you pays your money and you makes your choice - for me the Hitachi's UI won.

Cheers

Nic
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    I have the new CD DAB radio from Genus (PR1), kinda designer with integrated handle.

Boasts DAB and FM, has a cool slot load CD Drive and plays MP3.

It does about 25 mins rewind pause DAB radio and has a cool remote.

Reception is excellent.

Available from Dixons website.

The radio is quite small, much smaller than regular boomboxes so can be used in kitchen without having to put toaster in cupboard

Their website is www.genusdigital.com
  • BangersBangers Posts: 3,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've decided to replay my Sony mini system with something a bit nicer...

Tomorrow I'll be going for the Acoustic Solutions SP range of hi-fi seperates. An amplifier, a DAB/FM tuner, and a CD player. They seem to get good reviews from pretty much everyone.

At £219 with a free set of speakers from Argos - gotta be good (well I hope so)!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    I bought the LG LPCBM340 CD/Radio/Cassette from Argos for £68.94 which is a big price drop........................now I know why, the reception is diabolical, don't buy it.
    The Genus looks a good buy.
    I have the BUG & also the Elan, both with great reception.
    I have the original Woodstock 52 (pre-rewind & record) & it is still brilliant, it even has an SD mmc slot.

pcblues
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pcblues wrote:
    I bought the LG LPCBM340 CD/Radio/Cassette from Argos for £68.94 which is a big price drop........................now I know why, the reception is diabolical, don't buy it.
    The Genus looks a good buy.
    I have the BUG & also the Elan, both with great reception.
    I have the original Woodstock 52 (pre-rewind & record) & it is still brilliant, it even has an SD mmc slot.

pcblues

You can buy a new telesopic aerial for your hifi. It really helped improve reception for me, I paid £9.99 at www.pure-digital.com.
  • deepfroatdeepfroat Posts: 1,727
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much was the Genus?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    About £149.00, it is supposed to be sold exclusively at Dixons & Currys but none of those stores between Dartford, Orpington & Croydon had one or had heard of it.

Why they have only let these stores sell them beats me, the superstores reckon they cannot get digital in their store because there is too much metalwork so they are really good places to show off their products!

cheers

pcblues