Steamers

brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
Forum Member
✭✭
I am a bad cook. One example of this is that I tend to boil all my vegetables. I do it because it's easy. I usually peel and boil potatoes, and then add sprouts and/or broccoli and/or broad beans and/or peas to the same pan later. I cut the potatoes so they take 12-16 minutes, the exact size depending on how long I need for the meat. I am not someone who wants to spend 20 minutes or more cooking. Who has time for that?

I am wondering if I should steam my vegetables instead. I don't want to make shelf room for a dedicated steamer, so I am thinking about an insert. My first question is, are those rose-like stainless steel ones really safe in non-stick saucepans? They claim to be, and I can see the feet will be fine, but it seems like with the ones that open like a flower, the petals will touch the sides of the pan and could scratch. I expect my non-stick to last a long time (because they are mostly used for boiling).

Assuming that is OK, I am trying to figure out logistics. It doesn't look like I can boil potatoes in the bottom of a pan and steam vegetables on top; the steamer insets don't seem to be designed for that. I don't want to use two pans. From what I've read, it's possible to steam potatoes too, but it can take as long as half an hour. I am thinking maybe if I cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces I can get their steam-time down to 12 minutes?

So, how about you? Do you even steam? Do you have a steamer that you never use? If you do use it, is it the insert type? Any insights or observations?

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a microwave steamer (from Asda I think), in which I cook all my vegetables in one go. It depends how many you're cooking for, but it should hold enough for two people. It takes a few trial runs depending on how you prefer them, but I usually put the potatoes in first, carrots shortly afterwards, then follow with sprouts and broccoli after that. It usually takes about 12 minutes in total. When finished, I simply remove the inner basket containing the vegetables, which fits nicely into the rim of the central drainer in the sink. You can use the water to make gravy from granules.
    I cut the potatoes into chunks, but I never peel them (the peel is where most of the goodness is).
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would never cook any vegetables in with potatoes. All the starch will go into them.
    I never boil veg ( apart from spuds ) I always steam them.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I use a microwave with a basic microwaveable bowl
  • missyaliciamissyalicia Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used an insert for years. It was absolutely fine. You get different diameters to fit your pot. Now I have the silver 3 tiered pots from Asda. Quite small but good enough for £10.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    I would never cook any vegetables in with potatoes. All the starch will go into them.
    I never boil veg ( apart from spuds ) I always steam them.
    I can't think by what process starch would be able to infiltrate vegetables, especially when they're being steamed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I can't think by what process starch would be able to infiltrate vegetables, especially when they're being steamed.

Read my post properly.
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Current state of play is that I bought a cheap steamer inset, for £3 from Asda, as a learning step. It does seem less likely to damage saucepans than I had thought. So far it's only been used for rice (under) and peas (over). It takes quite a bit longer to cook the peas so I'm having to relearn that.
  • katiso41katiso41 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the 3 tiered Asda steamer too. I like to boil my potatoes so I do them in the water in the bottom tier and steam the veg above at the same time. I only use one tier on top and throw in a selection of vegetables. This works for me. Everything is ready at the same time and saves on the gas and washing up I definitely think that steamed veg tastes better than boiled
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mine is one of the insets that opens like a flower, no tiers. There isn't enough room under it for potatoes, really, but there is for rice. I have managed to steam potatoes by cutting them small, but the time it took seemed to vary a lot. The first time was 12-16 minutes and the third was 20+ minutes. I had to give up and microwave my plate after. I've not used it since.

For me it is more washing up because I have to wash the inset as well as the saucepan.
    Forum Member
    I know the OP didn't want a dedicated steamer but for anyone interested ALDI are selling one for £8.99 IIRC. I saw it is the weekly booklet.

ETA: https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/66322/0

Another alternative is the cheap Chinese wooden ones you put in/over a wok.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ Thanks for the suggestion. Currently I've pretty much given up on steams and gone back to boiling everything in a single saucepan. Boiling seems like the most reliable and consistent way to cook potatoes, and then it's easy to chuck everything else in with them. Maybe I'll be able to find a steamer inset with really long legs that can go on top.
    Forum Member
    That one from ALDI looks like the bottom can be a stand alone sauce pan.

If you have a microwave then why not use that to cook your veg?
    A microwaveable bowl + lid with a little water turns it into a steamer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ^^ I do, sometimes.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    That one from ALDI looks like the bottom can be a stand alone sauce pan.

If you have a microwave then why not use that to cook your veg?
    A microwaveable bowl + lid with a little water turns it into a steamer.

I have the type of steamer that is in Aldi and it is good for cooking the potatoes in the bottom and then put the veg in the higher ones. I really do not like microwave cooked veg except peas - they seem to have a strange outer layer on them especially cauliflower. My pressure cooker is the best for veg - 2 mins at the most.
  • Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,924
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    I have the type of steamer that is in Aldi and it is good for cooking the potatoes in the bottom and then put the veg in the higher ones. I really do not like microwave cooked veg except peas - they seem to have a strange outer layer on them especially cauliflower. My pressure cooker is the best for veg - 2 mins at the most.

Always wanted one but I'm scared it would blow up!
    Forum Member
    I have a two-tier bamboo steamer which fits onto most saucepans.
    Woman at work told me they are unhygienic tho :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    Mine is relatively difficult to wash. Maybe that's what she means?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    I have a two-tier bamboo steamer which fits onto most saucepans.

if you are only using it for veg then how dirty can it get and surely the steam would kill any nasties.
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't think by what process starch would be able to infiltrate vegetables

I agree - I have never heard of this before.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    Mine is relatively difficult to wash. Maybe that's what she means?
    LostFool wrote: »
    if you are only using it for veg then how dirty can it get and surely the steam would kill any nasties.

Exactly. Perhaps she meant it can get mouldy if you leave it unused for a while?
    Mine is in nearly daily use so no time for that to happen + I dry it in the residual heat of the oven usually.
  • Simon_MoreSimon_More Posts: 709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I always use the water in the bottom steamer pan to make gravy. Once the veg is cooked I then add the made up gravy mix. (We use a powder made in to a paste)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menk wrote: »
    I agree - I have never heard of this before.

Surely if you boil potatoes the water becomes starchy. Then if you put your other veg in that water, does it not suck in the starchy water?
  • MenkMenk Posts: 13,831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Surely if you boil potatoes the water becomes starchy. Then if you put your other veg in that water, does it not suck in the starchy water?

Yes - the water becomes starchy.

No - the other veg doesn't suck in the starch.