Options

For the cooks out there. Recipe you'd be happy to dish up once every week?

124»

Comments

• Options
    bahbahbahbah Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Piazza wrote: »
    Do you have a good recipe? Love aubergine curries but usually just make up my own recipe and would love to find a good one.

It's my mamma's recipe (my mum's not Italian but it made it seem more rustic ;) )

Punjabi aubergine curry recipe!

Ok 8 baby aubergine
    Tsp each of salt, masala, chilli powder mixed together in tablespoon of oil - call it spice mix
    1 onion sliced
    1" chopped ginger
    Clove garlic
    1-2 smallish fresh tomatoes chopped (or 1 plum tomato from tin). You don't want sweeten the curry.
    1 tsp each salt, masala, turmeric powder.
    Several green chillies chopped (as much or as little as you like)
    Chopped potatoes (roughly inch square cube).

Method.
    Cut through r aubs BUT only to top of the capped stems so they don't cut off into pieces but like a peeled banana! Or an open flower.
    Rub spice mix into the aubergine flesh.

Fry onion in some oil until soft and golden
    Add ginger, garlic, chillies, salt, masala, turmeric, tomatoes. Just a quick flash with tomatoes. Add dash of water to stop drying out.
    Add aubs, cook for 5 mins.

Add potatoes and cover. Watch and stir so it doesn't catch but you don't want to mash up the aubs, try to keep their form. Add dash of water if sticking.
    Cool until the aubergine and potatoes are tender (maybe 15 mins?)

Done!
  • Options
    Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    Does anyone here cook using a slow cooker/crockpot, or a 'crackpot', as I refer to my slow cooker as being?

If so, do I have a chicken recipe for you. ;-)

Meanwhile...

Hobo Hamburgers

Tear off squares of tinfoil.

Put a seasoned* hamburger patty, carrots, onions, diced or sliced potatoes, salt and pepper on each one.

Fold the sides in and roll the edges on the top together.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 and your whole meal is there, save for the warmed fresh buns/rolls you'll serve the burgers on.

You can add pretty much whatever you like to it, mushrooms, peppers, etc.

* Don't forget to add Montreal Steak seasoning or generic steak seasoning to the hamburger mixture. It makes all the difference. If you're doing this, I suggest eliminating the salt from the mixture.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    Does anyone here cook using a slow cooker/crockpot, or a 'crackpot', as I refer to my slow cooker as being?

If so, do I have a chicken recipe for you. ;-)

Meanwhile...

Hobo Hamburgers

Tear off squares of tinfoil.

Put a seasoned* hamburger patty, carrots, onions, diced or sliced potatoes, salt and pepper on each one.

Fold the sides in and roll the edges on the top together.

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 and your whole meal is there, save for the warmed fresh buns/rolls you'll serve the burgers on.

You can add pretty much whatever you like to it, mushrooms, peppers, etc.

* Don't forget to add Montreal Steak seasoning or generic steak seasoning to the hamburger mixture. It makes all the difference. If you're doing this, I suggest eliminating the salt from the mixture.
    Where's the chicken recipe?
  • Options
    PiazzaPiazza Posts: 733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bahbah wrote: »
    It's my mamma's recipe (my mum's not Italian but it made it seem more rustic ;) )

Punjabi aubergine curry recipe!

Ok 8 baby aubergine
    Tsp each of salt, masala, chilli powder mixed together in tablespoon of oil - call it spice mix
    1 onion sliced
    1" chopped ginger
    Clove garlic
    1-2 smallish fresh tomatoes chopped (or 1 plum tomato from tin). You don't want sweeten the curry.
    1 tsp each salt, masala, turmeric powder.
    Several green chillies chopped (as much or as little as you like)
    Chopped potatoes (roughly inch square cube).

Method.
    Cut through r aubs BUT only to top of the capped stems so they don't cut off into pieces but like a peeled banana! Or an open flower.
    Rub spice mix into the aubergine flesh.

Fry onion in some oil until soft and golden
    Add ginger, garlic, chillies, salt, masala, turmeric, tomatoes. Just a quick flash with tomatoes. Add dash of water to stop drying out.
    Add aubs, cook for 5 mins.

Add potatoes and cover. Watch and stir so it doesn't catch but you don't want to mash up the aubs, try to keep their form. Add dash of water if sticking.
    Cool until the aubergine and potatoes are tender (maybe 15 mins?)

Done!

Thanks for typing it out, it looks delicious! I will certainly try it. :)
  • Options
    Sebastian1992Sebastian1992 Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I couldn't tell you the exact recipe for this curry, but roughly speaking, I make a curry powder using coriander seeds, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, tumeric, all spice berries, anise seeds and fenugreek seeds.

This gets fried with some oil to create a paste, and then my pre-seasoned mutton/chicken gets fried in this mixture.

I remove the mutton/chicken, and fry off some onion, garlic and ginger paste, in tomato puree. Meat gets added back, along with some stock, and coconut milk. I normally give a squeeze of lemon/lime juice too, and eventually I added some diced potatoes.

That generally gets served with rice and peas, but I add spring onion and coconut milk to my rice too.
  • Options
    Jay_A7XJay_A7X Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    I'd quite happily eat lentil/Quorn bolognese every week. It's my favourite meal.
  • Options
    AsarualimAsarualim Posts: 3,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Curry. End of thread.

I cook a curry almost every week, but rarely the same one each week. It's usually either a Thai green, or yellow curry (with a bit of peanut buitter added too) or various Indian curries and occassionly a Chinese style curry, all made from scratch with my own pastes. You can't go wrong with a curry.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American chicken salad
    I love this but my husband like it occasionally
    serves 4
    12 oz (350 g) cooked chicken diced
    4 sticks celery, sliced diagonally
    4 spring onions, finely sliced
    1 1/4 cup (1/2 pint) 300 ml mayonnaise
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    4 oz (100 g) well flavoured Cheddar cheese, grated
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    a few plain potato crisps (potato chips), crumbled
    a little paprika
    method
    1. Heat the oven to 425°F (220°C) gas mark 7.

2. Put the chicken, celery, spring onions, mayonnaise and lemon juice into a bowl, together with 3 oz (75 g) grated cheese. Season and mix together, then turn the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish.

3. Top with remaining cheese, crisps and a dusting of paprika.

4. Cook in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, until hot but not boiling. Don't cook any longer, otherwise the sauce will separate.

Serve straight away.
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    American chicken salad
    serves 4
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    a little paprika
    method

2. Put the chicken, celery, spring onions, mayonnaise and lemon juice into a bowl, together with 3 oz (75 g) grated cheese. Season and mix together, then turn the mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish.

4. Cook in the oven for about 12-15 minutes, until hot but not boiling. Don't cook any longer, otherwise the sauce will separate.

Serve straight away.
    Sounds nice but that's a lot of mayonnaise. Not sure that would work with yogurt or creme fraiche though.
    But then it serves 4 so maybe not too fattening🙌
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chopsim wrote: »
    Sounds nice but that's a lot of mayonnaise. Not sure that would work with yogurt or creme fraiche though.
    But then it serves 4 so maybe not too fattening🙌

I imagine the yoghurt would split and also melted cheese and hot yoghurt doesn't sound appealing but then again neither does mayo and cheese ☺
  • Options
    LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American chicken salad
    serves 4
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    a little paprika
    method

Serve straight away.

Salad? :confused: This is more of a bake, surely.

Personally I don't like the combination of chicken and cheese, although this may have its roots in an erroneous assumption in a French motorway restaurant :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Personally I don't like the combination of chicken and cheese, although this may have its roots in an erroneous assumption in a French motorway restaurant :)

I wouldn't have named it salad either but it's not my invention nor my naming but I know it's flipping tasty!
  • Options
    maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Other than the topping those are the ingredients for a cold chicken salad. I would call it "chicken salad casserole " but whatever works.