Anyone like lobster?

Comments

• Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its very tasty, but I do prefer crab meat.
  • Johnnys ArcadeJohnnys Arcade Posts: 4,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fatsi wrote: »
    ....how to ruin a lobster in one easy step :p:D

Not really! It really does improve the taste in my view. Just a very little bit salad cream though. Too much WOULD ruin it.:D
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "the world is your lobster"

A Daley 1976
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,904
    Forum Member
    Absolutely love it, shame it costs so much in the UK. Had it in Mexico and the U.S. for a fraction of the price of here and it was superb.
  • BarmyTightsBarmyTights Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love it, shame it costs so much in the UK. Had it in Mexico and the U.S. for a fraction of the price of here and it was superb.
    I had some this month last year at a fish restaurant in Boston during a roadtrip around the USA and it cost approximately $30.

With it, I got a side of corn on the cob, chips and some butter to put on the lobster. I had some on the sweetcorn too.

It was the best ever meal I had in 2015, the only drawback was how tough and time consuming it was breaking the damn shell open to get to the meat! :mad: Otherwise, absolutely SUPERB! :D

A waitress even gave me a bib for me to wear whilst eating the lobster as it was VERY greasy! :eek:
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    It's nice, but it does taste very similar to prawn. I suppose people mainly go for it for the eating experience(i.e. cracking the claws open and digging the flesh out, etc.).

A big Cornish Crab probably has more meat in it, but a slightly different flavour and texture to its flesh.

Scallops are probably my favourite shellfish though.
    Forum Member
    stripedcat wrote: »
    It's nice, but it does taste very similar to prawn. I suppose people mainly go for it for the eating experience(i.e. cracking the claws open and digging the flesh out, etc.).

A big Cornish Crab probably has more meat in it, but a slightly different flavour and texture to its flesh.

Really? I don't think it tastes like prawn at all. I don't eat it for the experience, infact I would never order a whole lobster as I can't be done with the shell cracking.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lobster tails are affordable now. Yes, they're frozen, but poach them in garlic butter and you'll hardly notice the difference.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love Lobster, but I feel embarrassed trying to eat it at a restaurant as I don't really know how to do it. Therefore, I never order it.
  • Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but it's so expensive. Think they're about £20 each at Billingsgate!
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I love Lobster, but I feel embarrassed trying to eat it at a restaurant as I don't really know how to do it. Therefore, I never order it.

That's why I only ever order Lobster Tails and not the whole thing.
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really like it, I've had it a couple of times, I had a fab surf and turf in the US that had a lobster tail with it. I love all seafood though, I'm yet to have something I've not liked (the same goes for meat in general actually!).
    stripedcat wrote: »

I think it's got a completely different taste to prawns. I can't imagine anyone actually buying it just for the experience of dismantling it, if given the choice I always prefer to have seafood de-shelled.
  • maddie_brundretmaddie_brundret Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    I have only tried it once and didn't enjoy it.

We had gone to The Cheshire Cheese Pub at Longnor in the Staffordshire part of the Peak District and one of our friends had lobster thermidor and asked if I would like to try it knowing I like fish, I tried a fork full and that was enough never again.
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Apparently lobster used to be peasant food - they were plentiful in coastal areas and rich people didn't want to eat them, so the fishermen sold the fish and ate the lobsters.
    Forum Member
    Apparently lobster used to be peasant food - they were plentiful in coastal areas and rich people didn't want to eat them, so the fishermen sold the fish and ate the lobsters.

Interesting. Similar to the fact that they used to pass monkfish off as scampi as no-one wanted it.
  • Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've had it three times. Once down south, once in Goa and most recently at burger and lobster at St. Paul's.

I find it so-so, the taste is nothing really special to me so I'd not order it again. I also find it difficult to eat and end up wasting the claw meat and other bits that need cracking open to get the flesh out.
  • bahbahbahbah Posts: 860
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it, and ritually every New year's eve we have it with fries.

(Agree getting the leg meat is flipping annoying
  • BarmyTightsBarmyTights Posts: 2,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bahbah wrote: »
    Love it, and ritually every New year's eve we have it with fries.

(Agree getting the leg meat is flipping annoying

Do you have butter with it too?
  • Ann_TennaAnn_Tenna Posts: 395
    Forum Member
    I like lobster, but think that it is highly overrated.

So is shrimp, to a lesser degree.

I much prefer scallops. Oh, Lordy, do I like them! :p *drool*
  • chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love scallops but they are expensive here for the big ones.
    Sometimes I'll buy a pack of small ones, fry in butter until crisp on the outside, squirt with lemon juice. Yum, I eat them straight out of the pan.
    Forum Member
    Ann_Tenna wrote: »
    I like lobster, but think that it is highly overrated.

So is shrimp, to a lesser degree.

I much prefer scallops. Oh, Lordy, do I like them! :p *drool*

See i'm the opposite. I quite like scallops but I don't really get why they are so expensive.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most crabsticks don't contain any crab at all, just minced fish with flavouring.

I bought my dad a frozen lobster for £5.99 a couple of years ago, so they aren't always expensive.
  • BeecosyBeecosy Posts: 2,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried lobster on holiday in Dorset and Cornwall locally caught but they always serve it cold.

In Chinese restaurants they serve it whole and hot.
    It's only nice if the claw and tail parts are sweet. It is often bitter.
    I prefer scallops and huge prawns.
  • Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Love Lobster. :cool:
  • MatBonoMatBono Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thread title should be changed to 'How many people have tried Lobster?' And yes I had it in a restaurant but never again. It was not the taste but the difficulty of eating it in a restaurant. I would really loved to unleash the inner caveman in me but could not. You need aninstruction manual to eat it in a sophisticated away