Comments

• CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,373
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyway, she appeared to be miming to me
  • handymelonhandymelon Posts: 15,154
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved the singing and thought Emilia Jones was brilliant. She was good in Utopia on C4, too.

I knew this would be a Marmite episode as soon as the singing started, but I thought it was a really brave, different style of Who. There's always room for something new :)
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    yeah 'wake up' has been running through my head since i heard it. brilliant actress too - loved her expression as she finished that piece, the little grin, but subtle.
  • KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,277
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jellyfish7 wrote: »
    yeah 'wake up' has been running through my head since i heard it. brilliant actress too - loved her expression as she finished that piece, the little grin, but subtle.

I took it as her sticking it to the old god :p
  • jellyfish7jellyfish7 Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    I took it as her sticking it to the old god :p

Yep. agreed. An expression that simply said 'i nailed that'.. genius bit of acting. I found her very credible all through. Extremely impressive..
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    handymelon wrote: »
    I loved the singing and thought Emilia Jones was brilliant. She was good in Utopia on C4, too.

Never realised she was Alice in Utopia till seeing this post, yeah she was very good in that.
  • owlycherriesowlycherries Posts: 2,384
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't really like the singing until Merry started the "Wake up" bit. Then I was like :eek: So beautiful, I had goosebumps and tears were running down my cheeks.
    jellyfish7 wrote: »
    Yep. agreed. An expression that simply said 'i nailed that'.. genius bit of acting. I found her very credible all through. Extremely impressive..

I thought she was a great little actress! Very natural and not forced at all. Plus that voice! :eek:
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I watched the episode again earlier, on BBC3, and I still can't see why people disliked it, or didn't like the singing, or thought there was too much singing. The more I hear the music, the more I like it, and the more I see the little girl the more I think she's a wonderful singer and actress for her age.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked it. The girl's singing wasn't bad and her acting was pretty good compared to other children her age. Just watch Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone again. The acting of the cast in that is cringeworthy.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the episode but would have only voted average (because of some dodgy CGI and weak acting from the principle cast) - but the singing pushed me to vote 'good' - not just the wee girl (who was great) but the whole ensemble.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    When they arrived I thought the doctor was so irresponsible walking off leaving Clara alone knowing she doesn’t know anything and it’s her first time…

Clara should be both excited and worried; the doctor should keep her close and keep an eye on her! Naughty doctor, the singing was good tho at the end of the episode it was a bit anticlimactic. By the time we saw the monster the episode only had about 10 mins left…

tho i still liked the episode.

also why does s1-6 all have 2 parter episodes yet series 7 wont?
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are trolls about. Singing flat? No, she wasn't. There are such things as semitones. Check your ears. Miming? Of course she was. That is the way it is done and has been for as long as singing has been filmed. The one notable exception is 'Les Miserables' where the performers sang live on set.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    markuspeg wrote: »

also why does s1-6 all have 2 parter episodes yet series 7 wont?

Moffat decided he wanted a new adventure every week (partly down to Ratings dropping on the 2nd half of a 2 parter).

He's not totally againist Two parters* but rather than assign certain writers to write 2 parters (as happened previously) and have Three of them per series he left it up to chance. If a writer had come up with a story that required it be told in 2 parts they would have done so but otherwise the stories would be done as single episodes.

He also said that for years the Production crew assumed that 2 parters worked out cheaper to film (same sets, same actors etc) but in reality that wasn't the case.

*Though he did say that IHO the 2nd part of a 2 parter needed to be different in some way from Part 1 and not just more of the same. Think Pandorica Opens/Big Bang rather than Rebel Flesh/Almost People.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rewatching it I appreciated the singing more. First time around it was like WTF?
  • PunksNotDeadPunksNotDead Posts: 21,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Who isn't a musical:rolleyes:
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Who isn't a musical:rolleyes:

Which is why the majority of the episode didn't have singing in it :)
  • haphashhaphash Posts: 21,448
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are trolls about. Singing flat? No, she wasn't. There are such things as semitones. Check your ears. Miming? Of course she was. That is the way it is done and has been for as long as singing has been filmed. The one notable exception is 'Les Miserables' where the performers sang live on set.

She was flat in places so just check your ears. Obviously my hearing is more sensitive than yours.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    haphash wrote: »
    She was flat in places so just check your ears. Obviously my hearing is more sensitive than yours.

I have perfect pitch and she wasn't flat.
    We can keep this up as long as you want, you know.
  • OrriOrri Posts: 9,470
    Forum Member
    haphash wrote: »

How can you tell if someone is flat when they're singing a song you haven't heard before?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I found the singing irritating. And then there was singing in the next episode too. Why?
  • Banks246Banks246 Posts: 521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree the piece was stunning, and it made the Doctor's speech that much more powerful.

The music is so key to Doctor who, it would not be the same without it.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    For me, the singing was perfectly in keeping with the story and it didn't take up a lot of time.

I guess choral singing is probably not what many viewers are used to.

But then again you couldn't expect to sing an alien to sleep with pop or rock music. :D