Options

Protest in Westminster

InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
Forum Member
✭✭
Protest earlier in Westminster. May still be going on. Douglas Carswell was caught up in it. One protestor attempted to block him from leaving the area whilst the others seemed to be pushing a camera man around. Two fingers up at cameras. You get the idea.

Videos:
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612623825960960
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612799147745280
https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612903414038530

If I felt these protestors genuinely represented widespread sentiment against the government I'd be paying attention but sadly it always comes across as an organised mob. Out of the lot of them DG is one of the more decent ones. Whatever happened to a peaceful protest like we had with Iraq? Why do they always end up having a go at the police? I just feel it doesn't do the valid reasons for protesting the cuts etc any good at all.

Comments

• Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    Protest earlier in Westminster. May still be going on. Douglas Carswell was caught up in it. One protestor attempted to block him from leaving the area whilst the others seemed to be pushing a camera man around. Two fingers up at cameras. You get the idea.

Videos:
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612623825960960
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612799147745280
    https://twitter.com/MrHarryCole/status/603612903414038530

If I felt these protestors genuinely represented widespread sentiment against the government I'd be paying attention but sadly it always comes across as an organised mob. Out of the lot of them DG is one of the more decent ones. Whatever happened to a peaceful protest like we had with Iraq? Why do they always end up having a go at the police? I just feel it doesn't do the valid reasons for protesting the cuts etc any good at all.

Perhaps they should invade the floor of the Commons like the Countryside Alliance did. You get the idea.

(Btw - Nick Robinson just said on BBC News that the demo has been peaceful - has that changed?).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A bunch of yobs with no regard for democracy.
  • Options
    GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    The Tories really need to crack down on left wing extremists, they are a real threat to democracy.
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tories really need to crack down on left wing extremists, they are a real threat to democracy.

Free speech is a 'real threat to democracy'?
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »

Bit harsh on Cameron & Co.

Only a bit, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Free speech is a 'real threat to democracy'?

What does the harassment and intimidation of an MP have to do with free speech?
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Au contraire.

Every time these anti-democracy ar*****es are seen on TV, the Tory vote strengthens.

More please.
  • Options
    divingbboydivingbboy Posts: 14,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David Tee wrote: »
    Au contraire.

Every time these anti-democracy ar*****es are seen on TV, the Tory vote strengthens.

More please.

^ This. The rent-a-mob don't to any favours for the left.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Calm down, Ed Milliband is no longer leader of the opposition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Au contraire.

More please.

Why is this protest anti-democratic?

Lovely turn of phrase, by the way.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »

Absolute majority rule on 36.9% of the vote only (or about 25% of the electorate) - Is that no regard for democracy as well?

The 2015 General Election was free, but not necessarily fair
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolute majority rule on 36.9% of the vote only (or about 25% of the electorate) - Is that no regard for democracy as well?

The 2015 General Election was free, but not necessarily fair

I agree completely.

Under a fair system we would have a Tory-UKIP coalition with Farage as deputy PM, I'm sure that would appease the protesters.
  • Options
    allaortaallaorta Posts: 19,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Au contraire.

More please.

Has Carswell defected again? :o
  • Options
    mal2poolmal2pool Posts: 5,690
    Forum Member
    i hope the queen didnt agree to all their policies, making the poor poorer with more benefit cuts and austerity.....she should say something
  • Options
    JDBabyJDBaby Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Bit harsh on Cameron & Co.

Only a bit, though.

You read my mind :)
  • Options
    MartinPMartinP Posts: 31,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Half term week isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 147
    Forum Member
    mal2pool wrote: »
    i hope the queen didnt agree to all their policies, making the poor poorer with more benefit cuts and austerity.....she should say something

She cannot come down on either side, she is supposed to read what is put down (after having tempered the language sometimes) and open parliament.
  • Options
    Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    they should have bungled IDS into a van never to be seen again,tormentor of the poor
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    MartinP wrote: »
    Half term week isn't it?

Art school anarchists? :D

I used to work just off Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow and the only "protest" (it was about 6 people waving placards, maybe three or four times) was there. Each time it was students from the local art school. Less of a protest and more of an ironic living art piece really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    they should have bungled IDS into a van never to be seen again,tormentor of the poor

V for Vendetta just got put on the national list of banned books.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Art school anarchists? :D

I used to work just off Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow and the only "protest" (it was about 6 people waving placards, maybe three or four times) was there. Each time it was students from the local art school. Less of a protest and more of an ironic living art piece really.

What an utter disgrace! Maybe they should have been doing something more useful like making millions for themselves in The City by LIBOR rigging......
  • Options
    Pat_SmithPat_Smith Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I felt these protestors genuinely represented widespread sentiment against the government I'd be paying attention but sadly it always comes across as an organised mob.

Did you see the coverage? Some of them were just grinning from ear to ear. This wasn't a protest, it was a Student Union day out.

EDIT:
    MartinP wrote: »
    Half term week isn't it?

Of course, explains it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What an utter disgrace! Maybe they should have been doing something more useful like making millions for themselves in The City by LIBOR rigging......

Oh I was on their side. Nothing wrong with a peaceful protest. Just noting that they seemed to be the most enthusiastic protestors that I'd seen.
  • Options
    David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is this protest anti-democratic?

Lovely turn of phrase, by the way.

1) Because they're protesting against the very thing this country has recently voted for.

2) Ta very much. I looked at your turn of phrase about hunting and reined it in 100%.
  • Options
    JerrybobJerrybob Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good to see Douglas Carswell getting lots of support on social media. Apparently he was stood at a bus stop when he was surrounded by the baying mob.

https://twitter.com/zacgoldsmith/status/603634005515337728

https://twitter.com/sajidjavid/status/603624516506488834

Naming and shaming time on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/thomasevansukip/status/603642993929752579