George Galloway - London Mayor.

An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
Forum Member
Does anyone know who bank rolls this guy's campaigns? Or maybe he is independently wealthy?

Comments

• Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see him winning mayor. It would be crazy if he did though.
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    I can't see him winning mayor. It would be crazy if he did though.

Me neither. He couldn't even win Celebrity Big Brother. :D

But I do wonder how he can afford to keep funding doomed campaigns.
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Allegedly, by doing a deal with Saddam Hussain ,although he alleged and won that it was for a charitable fund. Perhaps he hires him self out to do cat impersonations!
  • soma_soma_ Posts: 6,024
    Forum Member
    Does anyone know who bank rolls this guy's campaigns? Or maybe he is independently wealthy?

The same way all politicians do.

Despite all the snidey side swipes people direct at him , I've yet to see any proven evidence of illegality or wrong-doing . All I seem to see is finger pointing and finger wagging because his accusars have nothing else to offer.
  • BeenbagBeenbag Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    soma_ wrote: »

Despite all the snidey side swipes people direct at him , I've yet to see any proven evidence of illegality or wrong-doing . All I seem to see is finger pointing and finger wagging because his accusars have nothing else to offer.

If The Daily Telegraph had done thier research better, the libel case might have turned out differently.
    Nothing else to offer? When, as M.P. for Bow , he had one of the worst attendance records in Parliament. Where was he to be found when there was a crucial vote on Crossrail going through his Constituancy?
    Pretending to be a cat on BB.
  • thenetworkbabethenetworkbabe Posts: 45,618
    Forum Member
    interesting to see what he does to Labour's vote given it might be close anyway.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He was earning £65k a year from 2012 until the election as an MP.

Also presumably he's been fairly well paid (at least, compared to an ordinary person on an ordinary salary) for his TV appearances and other media work.

Most people know him from Big Brother but don't forget Galloway has been a presenter/regular contributor on a number of channels including Raj TV, Al Mayadeen, Press TV and Russia Today.

He also edited some sort of newspaper in the 90's which was bankrolled by the Pakistani government IIRC.

He's built up quite an... interesting.. media career to say the least. I'm sure he has plenty of cash saved up.
  • Clarisse76Clarisse76 Posts: 5,566
    Forum Member
    He'll either get absolutely trounced and blame everyone except himself, which will be funny, or he'll win it, which will be hilarious :D
  • Sam_Clarke1Sam_Clarke1 Posts: 3,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might cost him a bit in legal fees if he wants to sue all the Londoners that don't vote for him.

Part of me wants him to win as it would be an interesting time.....:o
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Clarisse76 wrote: »
    He'll either get absolutely trounced and blame everyone except himself, which will be funny, or he'll win it, which will be hilarious :D

It will be terrifying if he wins, given his open praise of Sadam, North Korea and the Soviet Union.

Everyone should take a few moments to listen to his faux-arabic accent when he addresses Muslims: https://youtu.be/0RrgldTOhmE One of the most cringeworthy and bizarre things I've ever heard.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Doomed?

He was an MP until recently.
  • BrokenArrowBrokenArrow Posts: 21,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, him and Sepp Blatter are real good guys.
  • Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The correct response to the possibility is surely "Oh dear god no"...? I think even hardened atheists would resort to prayer just to be on the safe side.

Does he have a different tag-line now? Or is he still going with the astoundingly hilarious 'cheeks of the same arse' comment, missing the point that he himself is the central feature?

He was indeed an MP until recently, IIRC elected on a sort of 'I will represent you because nobody else does' ticket, and then went to Parliament and tirelessly and vocally represented his constituents at every opportunity and absolutely never gave his constituents cause to regret their choice.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I recall he had his Streatham house up for sale for £1.5 million. Don't know if he did sell and where he lives now, but if he moved oop north he could've easily cleared a million profit.
    Fair and Balanced Wail link

Of course he hasn't a cat in hells chance of winning London mayor, but its a high profile platform for a couple of years, maybe leading to another by-election victory somewhere. You can't keep Gorgeous George down for long!:D
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    He was earning £65k a year from 2012 until the election as an MP.

Also presumably he's been fairly well paid (at least, compared to an ordinary person on an ordinary salary) for his TV appearances and other media work.

Most people know him from Big Brother but don't forget Galloway has been a presenter/regular contributor on a number of channels including Raj TV, Al Mayadeen, Press TV and Russia Today.

He also edited some sort of newspaper in the 90's which was bankrolled by the Pakistani government IIRC.

He's built up quite an... interesting.. media career to say the least. I'm sure he has plenty of cash saved up.

I wasn't implying any wrong doing. I am genuinely interested. I can see how he makes a living but the income from having been an MP etc is of a whole different magnitude for that needed to fund an election campaign.

The campaign to stand for political office costs hundreds of thousands. There are numerous expenses from travel and subsistence to professional fees to publishing and distributing leaflets etc. The bigger parties are funded by business, unions, having a lot of members each paying an annual membership fee., individual donors with deep pockets. So I am wondering who contributes to Respect/George Galloway's political aspirations.
    Doomed?

He was an MP until recently.

For a very brief period, having won a bi-election. But he has mostly failed to win seats he has campaigned to win. Each campaign will have cost someone a lot of money and for no return. So I am wondering who is prepared to invest again when the odds are so slim.
  • RecordPlayerRecordPlayer Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    It will be terrifying if he wins, given his open praise of Sadam, North Korea and the Soviet Union.

Everyone should take a few moments to listen to his faux-arabic accent when he addresses Muslims: https://youtu.be/0RrgldTOhmE One of the most cringeworthy and bizarre things I've ever heard.

:D at his accent.

I know a person who puts on a faux French accent when talking to French people. They probably do it thinking they'd be understood better. Lol.

I hope he doesn't become Mayor.
  • SurrenderBillSurrenderBill Posts: 19,084
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You think Boris is crazier than a Kipper swinging a pint?... You ain't seen nothing yet. I just wonder which one of them would do the purring if he met the Queen.
  • BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He has zero chance of getting in as mayor. It is just a PR thing to keep in the limelight of the media for the next few years.
  • apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    interesting to see what he does to Labour's vote given it might be close anyway.

Won't really matter as it's not first past the post.
  • jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member

Khaled Mischal of Hamas probably.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    He has zero chance of getting in as mayor. It is just a PR thing to keep in the limelight of the media for the next few years.

Pretty much this. He will milk the time between now and the result to get maximum publicity, before he launches his next media **** adventure. The bloke is an absolute w@n£er.
  • GibsonSGGibsonSG Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yea that aint gonna happen. Mans deluded if he thinks it will.
  • IWantPVRIWantPVR Posts: 8,302
    Forum Member
    Can he not go form some counter-SNP movement north of the border?
  • SpouthouseSpouthouse Posts: 1,046
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always think it's quite sad that somebody who is clearly a talented orator has such repugnant views.
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't implying any wrong doing. I am genuinely interested. I can see how he makes a living but the income from having been an MP etc is of a whole different magnitude for that needed to fund an election campaign.

The campaign to stand for political office costs hundreds of thousands. There are numerous expenses from travel and subsistence to professional fees to publishing and distributing leaflets etc.
    The bigger parties are funded by business, unions, having a lot of members each paying an annual membership fee., individual donors with deep pockets. So I am wondering who contributes to Respect/George Galloway's political aspirations.

For a very brief period, having won a bi-election. But he has mostly failed to win seats he has campaigned to win. Each campaign will have cost someone a lot of money and for no return. So I am wondering who is prepared to invest again when the odds are so slim.

Standing as Mayor for London only costs the deposit of £10k, fundamentally.

They can be as cheap as they like when it comes to leaflets and campaigning.

So there's no need for him to spend 'hundreds of thousands' at all.

If I had a spare £10k knocking about I might have even signed myself up. Hypnodisc for Mayor! Why not? :D