10 Cloverfield Lane.......

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
Did anybody else watch this, and really really enjoy the first 1 hour and 40 minutes or so of the film, only for that ending to completely and utterly ruin what was a perfectly decent film?

I've never known a film so dramatically change genre the way that 10 Cloverfield did.

Comments

• KekebearKekebear Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I saw it at the movies, it feels like it was out ages ago! I felt the ending was so disjointed to the beginning of the film, like it was two different scriptwriters or even scripts just jammed together.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kekebear wrote: »
    I saw it at the movies, it feels like it was out ages ago! I felt the ending was so disjointed to the beginning of the film, like it was two different scriptwriters or even scripts just jammed together.

But surely that would only be true if the first Cloverfield film didn't exist?

Given that this is set in the same universe as the first film, why would the ending be considered disjointed?

Sure, it was different to what had gone before, but I don't really see why that's an issue - different should not automatically equal bad.

For me it was a reminder that there are 'things' out there walking around, and they are still killing people.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anybody else watch this, and really really enjoy the first 1 hour and 40 minutes or so of the film, only for that ending to completely and utterly ruin what was a perfectly decent film?

I've never known a film so dramatically change genre the way that 10 Cloverfield did.

Yep, absolutely agree there. Very good film indeed and John Goodman was fantastic in it, but then "that" ending. It's almost like they thought "shit! we need to tie this in with Cloverfield .. we totally forgot !".
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    I liked the whole thing, beginning to end. You know I'm sure there was a major pointer to where it was heading. Um, now where was it... oh yes, it was in the bleedin' title!

Interesting factoid, it was directed by a former YouTube film critic.
  • Gemma_HardingGemma_Harding Posts: 692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard that this film was based on a script that had lay in development hell of scripts that are great but undeveloped. that script was centred on the shenanigans in the bunker. My feelings are that the link to Cloverfield was added to it. I agree that the film was brilliant, but seemed to lose something when it got to the very last act.
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it.
    I think the ending made perfect sense because throughout the film the premise was based on whether the excuses of the John Goodman character for why they needed to stay in the shelter were true or not.

It's true that the original script had nothing to do with the film Cloverfield. But I think they did a decent job of weaving that story into the Cloverfield universe. I suppose it might disappoint some people depending on whether they regard it as a proper sequel or not.
    I think it's easier for people who aren't too concerned about whether it's set in the Cloverfield universe or not and would have been equally content if the aliens were in no way connected to the film Cloverfield.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But surely that would only be true if the first Cloverfield film didn't exist?

Given that this is set in the same universe as the first film, why would the ending be considered disjointed?

Sure, it was different to what had gone before, but I don't really see why that's an issue - different should not automatically equal bad.

For me it was a reminder that there are 'things' out there walking around, and they are still killing people.

yup this is correct

film wasnt disjointed in any way shape or form.
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked the ending and I think would have been more frustrated if she had come out and everything had been fine and normal. I've seen other films like that (i.e. where they thought something was going on topside and it wasn't) and it always left me feeling a little anti-climatic.

Hence I respect that they showed the Earth taking a pounding and that her escape was just one part of the hellish journey that she would be embarking on.
  • Irishguy123Irishguy123 Posts: 14,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much share your thoughts OP, terrific film until the final ten minutes. What a contrast to the excellence that had preceded it!