Have soaps lost their moral compass?

Trance 2016Trance 2016 Posts: 130
Forum Member
With murderers, frequent affairs and the justice system failing to bring many criminals to a just consequence, have soaps lost their way due to having to grab ratings.

Has it always been this way? Have villians always got away with so many bad deeds.

Any examples of this from your soaps and their characters?

Comments

• 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EE certainly has. Tony Soprano refused to live in Albert Square as it was too rough.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    0...0 wrote: »
    EE certainly has. Tony Soprano refused to live in Albert Square as it was too rough.

Hannibal Lecter, John Doe, Keyser Soze and Garland 'The Marietta Mangler' Greene took one look at the Philth wheezing and stumbling around and moved to somewhere less intimidating - the slums of Caracas.
  • valdvald Posts: 46,057
    Forum Member
    I've lost count of how many criminals, who have got away with major crimes, are living in Albert Square. It helps that the police are either incompetent or crooked.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still make sure that we know at every possible opportunity that alcohol and cheating and both at the same time are bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hannibal Lecter, John Doe, Keyser Soze and Garland 'The Marietta Mangler' Greene took one look at the Philth wheezing and stumbling around and moved to somewhere less intimidating - the slums of Caracas.

I hope they all had a heart to heart with him over Peggy first.
  • Menime123Menime123 Posts: 1,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, they haven't. Secrets always come out in soaps and the truth will always prevail. Characters knowing the truth is ultimately what fans want to see and a confession is what let's a soap keep its moral compass - and a moral compass is something quite different to a legal comeuppance.
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They should eat him.

Although Hannibal will certainly not be consuming that bloody rotten liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti! :cool:
  • Aaron_SilverAaron_Silver Posts: 32,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

:D:D Off subject but it's nice to see you back ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They should eat him.

Although Hannibal will certainly not be consuming that bloody rotten liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti! :cool:

Well it's already been flambed. :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D:D Off subject but it's nice to see you back ;-)

Ta m'dear. Good to see you too. :)
  • Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Menime123 wrote: »
    No, they haven't. Secrets always come out in soaps and the truth will always prevail. Characters knowing the truth is ultimately what fans want to see and a confession is what let's a soap keep its moral compass - and a moral compass is something quite different to a legal comeuppance.

Don't include me in your alternative world where the legal system has no relevance.
  • arr95arr95 Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie - Tracy Barlow, despite having murdered 3 people , is allowed to walk free and has a boyfriend, a business, a good home and a doting daughter
  • lobeydosserlobeydosser Posts: 3,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arr95 wrote: »
    Corrie - Tracy Barlow, despite having murdered 3 people , is allowed to walk free and has a boyfriend, a business, a good home and a doting daughter

Not as bad as a murder, obviously, but at the moment on Neighbours 4 teens are involved in theft of money and so far retribution has not found them!
  • Trance 2016Trance 2016 Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Is there a thing as a legal compapss and a moral compass? What is the difference with that in soap terms?
    Forum Member
    Any takers?

I know yesterday was an exciting but sad time for many fans so I have bumped the thread again.
  • Shazla09Shazla09 Posts: 29,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're holding too many compasses and following convoluted pathways
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    arr95 wrote: »

But she's not happy, is she? The Soap Gods find many different ways to punish characters. And, technically, she didn't murder three people.
  • Irma BuntIrma Bunt Posts: 1,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With murderers, frequent affairs and the justice system failing to bring many criminals to a just consequence, have soaps lost their way due to having to grab ratings.

Has it always been this way? Have villians always got away with so many bad deeds.

Any examples of this from your soaps and their characters?

Are adulterers villains?
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irma Bunt wrote: »
    Are adulterers villains?

When they start trying to kill people just to keep their affair secret, then yes :D
    Forum Member
    But she's not happy, is she? The Soap Gods find many different ways to punish characters. And, technically, she didn't murder three people.

She KILLED Kal Nazir and Maddie Heath accidentally and indirectly but she is still accountable.

She planned and MURDERED Charlie Stubbs.

She has even impulsively, attempted to murder Carla Conner until she was interupted.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all those that took the time to give my thread a chance.
  • phildunk1986phildunk1986 Posts: 1,658
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale is certainly a village you would certainly not want to visit what with all the crime.

How many people has Cain Dingle kidnapped and tortured? There was Aaron's Dad Gordon and Rakesh.

Who else?

Then there is families like the Bartons, Sugdens, Whites and Dingles committing crimes and getting away it sometimes.

Robert Sugden got away with his part in Katie's death.
  • TeifiboiTeifiboi Posts: 14,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A moral compass is useless without a moral framework.
  • arr95arr95 Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yes fair enough - she is responsible for Kal and Maddie's deaths but she did not technically murder them. She has only murdered Charlie Stubbs- but she has tried to ruin people's lives - Carla, Becky etc

As for whether she is happy- I would say you are right- she's not entirely- she is widely disliked across the street, acknowledged as having started the Victoria court fire, plus she has her own health issues with her kidney problems etc
    Forum Member
    Emmerdale is certainly a village you would certainly not want to visit what with all the crime.

How many people has Cain Dingle kidnapped and tortured? There was Aaron's Dad Gordon and Rakesh.

Who else?

Then there is families like the Bartons, Sugdens, Whites and Dingles committing crimes and getting away it sometimes.

Robert Sugden got away with his part in Katie's death.

Didn't he, Jimmy King and Robert Sugden kidnap someone?
    I suspect Doctor Jermaine Bailey is next.
    Tom King.
    Sadie King.
    Rakesh Kotecha.
    Robert Sugden.
    Gordan Livesy.

I bet they're more!