Most nastiest series?

2»

Comments

• Cats_EyesCats_Eyes Posts: 20,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it was a myth that Davina treated Rachel badly, at least on the main show interview? Don't remember any untoward behaviour from her, and I watched it a few motnhs ago, yet I keep hearing about it...

Also, she wasn't treated by her HMs that badly tbh... Rex just laid into her sometimes, but they were friends anyway, and the girls like Bex and Jen bitched about her in the early weeks.

Well you have just heard about it again now then.

I watched the series at the time and again about six months ago and as far as the interview goes I both heard and watched both so there was nothing mythical about it - Davina was a disgrace imo.

And as understatements goes "Rex just laid into her sometimes " takes some beating. Also " but they were friends anyway " I would suggest that was one way traffic because although I think Rachel wanted to friends I sure don't think Rex did.

You have also not noted Luke Marsden who hated Rachel without foundation and indeed did so for many years after.
  • hownwbrowncowhownwbrowncow Posts: 6,188
    Forum Member
    Cats_Eyes wrote: »

I watched the series at the time and again about six months ago and as far as the interview goes I both heard and watched both so there was nothing mythical about it - Davina was a disgrace imo.

And as understatements goes "Rex just laid into her sometimes " takes some beating. Also " but they were friends anyway " I would suggest that was one way traffic because although I think Rachel wanted to friends I sure don't think Rex did.

You have also not noted Luke Marsden who hated Rachel without foundation and indeed did so for many years after.

Rachel was bitched about a lot, but she didn't really get much nastiness to her face. The only thing that springs to mind is when Rex kept going on to her about the cake task, when she chose the other team to win.

And what did Davina do in the interview that was so bad?
  • HBICHBIC Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Recently re-watching CBB5, I actually don't think it was that much of nasty series. I know you had the race row and the treatment of Shilpa - which was awful. But even re-watching that, it felt tame compared to how it came across at the time, nine years ago. And outside of the whole Shilpa fiasco, there wasn't really much conflict at all between other housemates.

I wouldn't even say it's the nastiest CBB series (it's up there) but I personally thought CBB15 and CBB16 were more volatile. I also think CBB4's nastiness is often overlooked by the positive reception and success that the series received. The treatment of Jodie was awful and was one of the worst cases of bullying in BB imo. Traci was also treated awfully and in general there was a lot of bitching and nastiness in that house.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    HBIC wrote: »
    Recently re-watching CBB5, I actually don't think it was that much of nasty series. I know you had the race row and the treatment of Shilpa - which was awful. But even re-watching that, it felt tame compared to how it came across at the time, nine years ago. And outside of the whole Shilpa fiasco, there wasn't really much conflict at all between other housemates.

I wouldn't even say it's the nastiest CBB series (it's up there) but I personally thought CBB15 and CBB16 were more volatile. I also think CBB4's nastiness is often overlooked by the positive reception and success that the series received. The treatment of Jodie was awful and was one of the worst cases of bullying in BB imo. Traci was also treated awfully and in general there was a lot of bitching and nastiness in that house.
    I agree about CBB4.

The first week was difficult and the 'pour me a drink' row was quite heavy as was Tracy's treatment by Pete.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    Davina asked Rachel if she wanted to share her prize money with her. At the time I didn't like her winning but looking at it now, what a rubbish thing to say to a person just made winner.
    She asked the same question on BBBM with the odious Marsden in the background going on about the hundred grand (he's still never got over the fact he didn't win). She had never asked any other winner if they were planning on donating a percentage of their winnings to a charity. >:(

The production team constantly made out Rachel was boring, even going so far as to engineer a task with Rachel 'sitting on a fence' (literally).
    They never once showed her taking on several of the mean girls, she stood up for Bex when Alexandra was being nasty, she put Jen & Sylvia in their place when she pulled them up re their horrible behaviour. Things like this were never shown on the main programme..........instead some go along with the 'official line' that Rachel was boring. Rachel stood up for what she believed in.

Rex was absolutely horrible to her, he didn't just, 'lay into her sometimes'!
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    The production team constantly made out Rachel was boring, even going so far as to engineer a task with Rachel 'sitting on a fence' (literally).
    They never once showed her taking on several of the mean girls, she stood up for Bex when Alexandra was being nasty, she put Jen & Sylvia in their place when she pulled them up re their horrible behaviour. Things like this were never shown on the main programme..........instead some go along with the 'official line' that Rachel was boring. Rachel stood up for what she believed in.

What I don't understand is why they'd want to brand one of their own Housemates as boring. Even if it had worked (which it obviously didn't because she won) surely all that would say is that the casting team weren't very good and picked someone dull? Rachel is my favourite winner of all-time, surely the producers would have done better out of it if they had emphasised all the things that made her cool?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She asked the same question on BBBM with the odious Marsden in the background going on about the hundred grand (he's still never got over the fact he didn't win). She had never asked any other winner if they were planning on donating a percentage of their winnings to a charity. >:(

Well said on all counts.

Rachel is a lovely lady and thoroughly deserved her win.
    Forum Member

With regards to the supposed 'sitting on the fence task' I think you're confused. There was a time when Rachel was sitting on the divide fence and Big Brother said 'This is Big Brother, Housemates are reminded not to sit on the fence', and the HMs laughed at the irony.

And they certainly did show Rachel standing up for Rebecca.

How was Rex 'absolutely horrible'?

Looks like some people need a re-watch before they start making claims :blush:
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    With regards to the supposed 'sitting on the fence task' I think you're confused. There was a time when Rachel was sitting on the divide fence and Big Brother said 'This is Big Brother, Housemates are reminded not to sit on the fence', and the HMs laughed at the irony.

The 'I'd swap you for scrabble' night was pretty bad. The quote out of context isn't so bad - quite funny really - but in the middle of the rant he was giving as to why Rachel was somehow 'faking it' was really unpleasant. Around that period everything - everything - she was saying and doing was jumped on by himself and others.
    Another quote that I remember was when he said something to her (irony alert I can't remember what it was) and she grinningly claimed it was said jokingly. With a sneer on his face he replied 'No Rachel, that was said with real hatred.'
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What I don't understand is why they'd want to brand one of their own Housemates as boring. Even if it had worked (which it obviously didn't because she won) surely all that would say is that the casting team weren't very good and picked someone dull? Rachel is my favourite winner of all-time, surely the producers would have done better out of it if they had emphasised all the things that made her cool?
    Who knows why the production team did this - they did the same with BB4 claiming it was the most boring BB of all time. Clearly it wasn't!
    I suspect they wanted the odious Mikey to win & were hacked off when he didn't.
    Well said on all counts.

Rachel is a lovely lady and thoroughly deserved her win.
    Yes she is & she thoroughly deserved to win.........she was probably one of the last worthy winners.

Looks like some people need a re-watch before they start making claims
    :blush:
    Yes, some people do.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A mirror perhaps ?
  • moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I think it shows how dull Big Brother has become in the past few years that this thread has turned into a discussion about Rex and Rachel.At least I remember them well, which is more than I can say for many subsequent housemates.
  • HBICHBIC Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I agree about CBB4.

The first week was difficult and the 'pour me a drink' row was quite heavy as was Tracy's treatment by Pete.

I re-watched the series last summer and the treatment of Jodie and Traci by Pete was really uncomfortable to watch. In particular that kitchen scene with Jodie and the living room scene with Traci where nobody even dared to stick up for her. :o
  • george.millmangeorge.millman Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    moonlily wrote: »
    I think it shows how dull Big Brother has become in the past few years that this thread has turned into a discussion about Rex and Rachel.At least I remember them well, which is more than I can say for many subsequent housemates.

There has been a fair amount of discussion about BB13 as well, which is a more recent one.

But on the whole I agree with you. There isn't that much discussion to be had about the actual Housemates from the past two years, because bar the first two weeks of BB16 they didn't get any chance to actually carry the show by themselves. As another poster said, whilst BB15 had some really unpleasant people the main problem with it was all the confusing twists that were thrown in constantly. That could easily have been up there as one of the nastiest series, but the Housemates never knew whether they were coming or going, and ironically in their quest to produce rows the producers killed the chance for enmities to stew and develop.
  • SweetSyrupSweetSyrup Posts: 2,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are people forgetting BB16?

For me, 15 & 16 practically merge into one, I almost forgot they were two series (the Helen Wood effect).

As a whole, yes - the housemates were mostly nice. Dull, but nice. However, those few weeks with Helen/Mark/Brian Belo were ****ing brutal. So unpleasant to watch.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SweetSyrup wrote: »
    Are people forgetting BB16?

For me, 15 & 16 practically merge into one, I almost forgot they were two series (the Helen Wood effect).

As a whole, yes - the housemates were mostly nice. Dull, but nice. However, those few weeks with Helen/Mark/Brian Belo were ****ing brutal. So unpleasant to watch.
    I agree with Helen and Mark. But I would not describe Brian in such as a way - imo
  • Arthur_BArthur_B Posts: 3,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They did show Rachel standing up to Alexandra.
  • Dr ZDr Z Posts: 3,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure it was a myth that Davina treated Rachel badly, at least on the main show interview? Don't remember any untoward behaviour from her, and I watched it a few motnhs ago, yet I keep hearing about it...

Also, she wasn't treated by her HMs that badly tbh... Rex just laid into her sometimes, but they were friends anyway, and the girls like Bex and Jen bitched about her in the early weeks.

As I recall millionaire Davina put her on the spot and pretty much shamed her into giving some of her prize money to charity because she wasn't exciting enough? I found it pretty disgusting.
  • od hominemod hominem Posts: 8,593
    Forum Member
    Me too - which is why BB2 remains my favourite.

Yep, I'll salute that. Sadly, I don't think new viewers have the required attention span to make a series like that work these days.
    Forum Member
    Dr Z wrote: »
    As I recall millionaire Davina put her on the spot and pretty much shamed her into giving some of her prize money to charity because she wasn't exciting enough? I found it pretty disgusting.

That was on BBLB, I'm talking about the main show interview.