dancin on ice

Comments

• CP30CP30 Posts: 6,595
    Forum Member
    nancy1975 wrote:
    It was an injustice Gaynor had to dance again. Who voted for Andi Peters??!! :confused:
    Maybe all the kids voted for him - it did seem to have attracted a youngish audience. I actually think he should have left first. I'm not a great fan of Tamara but think she had slightly more potential than Andi, if she could get over the "Aren't I beautiful" bit and actually do some work.

takseem - would also have liked to have seen more or Sergei - I always fall for that Russian look and accent!
  • digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CP30 wrote:
    You never know it might spark a bit more interest in the wonderful sport of ice skating. :)
    As I allready said to someone else
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=329310&page=2&pp=25
  • nancy1975nancy1975 Posts: 19,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CP30 wrote:
    Maybe all the kids voted for him - it did seem to have attracted a youngish audience. I actually think he should have left first. I'm not a great fan of Tamara but think she had slightly more potential than Andi, if she could get over the "Aren't I beautiful" bit and actually do some work.

takseem - would also have liked to have seen more or Sergei - I always fall for that Russian look and accent!

I agree, if in the words of Craig she could have pulled her head in and 'got on with it' I think she could have been rather good. :( Shame. I suspect it was the kids, grrrr. No ADULT would have voted for him surely! He barely moved!
  • TheSoupdragonTheSoupdragon Posts: 559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pyriel wrote:
    Yep, I will also be supporting the legend that is The Barrowman. He rocks. Pure and simple. :D

Another vote for the wonderful John Barrowman and his sparkly sequins. :D Definitely the best male dancer. Anyone see Sound of Musicals at all? On before Weakest Link he was on that as well!! Had to tape that and watch the ice thing. Think another reason why it seems so drawn out is that there are so many ads doesn't have the continuity of that Strictly does as a result.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nancy1975 wrote:
    I agree, if in the words of Craig she could have pulled her head in and 'got on with it' I think she could have been rather good. :( Shame. I suspect it was the kids, grrrr. No ADULT would have voted for him surely! He barely moved!
    Andy was very wooden, his stress, lack of relaxation and fluid movement was apparent immediately, hope he loosens up a bit next time. I cant see him sticking around long term though
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    digimon900 wrote:
    Andy was very wooden, his stress, lack of relaxation and fluid movement was apparent immediately, hope he loosens up a bit next time. I cant see him sticking around long term though

No way, if there's justice. :(

I'll be backing John, when it starts getting crucial. He came on and PERFORMED. Cool guy. :cool:
  • QUICKFOXTANGOQUICKFOXTANGO Posts: 275
    Forum Member
    John Barrowman is the most accomplished male at this point. I thought Bonnie Langford excellent too. Looks as though it will fill a large hole left by the closure of SCD but, like tonight, I shall record it first and watch it later. I can thus skate thru some of the recaps etc - and also playback the results straightaway, if you get my drift.

Philip Schofield was a good host - not so certain about his blonde co-host. I would have preferred some more input from Chris Dean at times and it was really good to see these two again.

Knowing that we are to be treated to Bolero at the end of it all is really something to look forward to.

A decent show, slightly marred by the glaring rip-off of SCD's format but I reckon we just have to live with that.

Phil
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, really want to hear more from Chris in the future, but as I said, it's only the first show, they should be more relaxed into it next week....

Wasn't too keen on Holly, but we'll see. Do you know, I really warmed to Tess this series!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went out and forgot! lol. Who left?

Anyway.. Torvil & Dean ROCK SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!! And John Barrowman is hot, and kicked ass!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andi was fun and he enjoyed himself, that's why he stayed in. It was cute to watch :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    Here are my thoughts for what they are worth:-

1) The performances were too short - surely one and a half minutes like SCD.

2) Why talk to Chris and Jayne after every single performance - they were running out of different things to say this week, so what is going to happen as the weeks go by.

3) Why not talk to the professionals so we get some idea of their personalities.

4) I missed the beginning but the judges seem very dull and why have five? Presumably they are judging on different aspects of the perfomance. Would like to have them each speak briefly about each performance, not just two at random.

5) Although Bonnie looked great, to me she spent most of the time in the air! How can you get good marks for that!
    At least one of the judges commented on that. It makes the difference in difficuly between what the men have to do and the women far greater than SCD. There should have been either a ban on lift (at least in the first week or two) or a limit in the number and/or time allowed for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agreed! Only male celebrities skaters can do lifts! No one can judge a female celebrity when she is not skating and is being relieved of her skating duties/abilities for 50% of the time on ice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,652
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So who *did* leave??! I forgot to watch the results!

John was amazing. I love that guy!!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,668
    Forum Member
    Cat123 wrote:
    So who *did* leave??! I forgot to watch the results!

John was amazing. I love that guy!!!!

Tamara Beckworth left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Where's this skating show made.It looked like a studio to me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2leftfeet wrote:
    Where's this skating show made.It looked like a studio to me.

It was, because Chris Tarrant was in the audience and PS said that he'd nipped in from next door (Millionaire studio) and they were looking for him.
  • The Lady BozThe Lady Boz Posts: 2,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D a little bit of fun on a Saturday night, but have to agree with you all that John Barrowman was excellent and Bonnie too! Would have liked to have seen more of the couples in sync with each other, which, IMO, David Seaman was with his partner but like SCD, they will improve week by week . Will record it for future watching as it was a bit drawn out. Not sure about Stephen Mulhearn in 'Defrosted' but fab eyes. Has he got a famous parent, somehow he looks familiar?

Pure joy to watch T & D again, was it really 10 years ago!!!

Lady Boz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Pure joy to watch T & D again, was it really 10 years ago!!!

Lady Boz

It's 10 years since they danced together but I think 22 years since they danced to Bolero in 1984 Winter Olympics.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DOI was ok, but it just seemed to drag on a bit, and I didn't like the adverts!!! What was missing was being told what to look for - like on SCD if it is the tango that week, they show those clips of the pros doing it and what technique needs to be in it. And also each week are they just gonna keep doing different dance routines and get marked or is there different 'dances' u can do on ice? Like will be there a theme to each week, as if it is just a new dance routine each week it is gonna get v.boring!!!

As for the scoring, at least Nicky whatshisface said he wanted to be consistant and because he had made a mistake early on he had to base the rest round that - on SCD if Craig had made a mistake he would have given someone worse a better mark! I also don't think they should have that dance off at the end, we've already seen them dance - I just fast forwarded through it to get the results! (Yes thats right I got my priorities right and watched A&L and taped DOI!!

Will watch it next week to see how it is, as it was great to see Torvill and Dean again!

Nat
    xxx
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I loved the show last night, was so excited to see Torvil & Dean again after all this time (they were robbed at the olympics!!).

I understand the point about the difficulties for male celebs, but surely it requires some skill for the female celebs to BE lifted? There is no way I could ever do the last lift that Bonnie did and I know I couldn't pull off many of the other lifts half as gracefully as the celebs did (Gaynor in particular springs to mind). Just a thought!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any skating experts out there in DS land that can put me rignt??

When T & D were dancing together in comps, were they not also judged on set dances or rythyms, where they had to dance the set piece three times? Some of the T & D set dances were just as good as the main ones we all remember.

Lady Boz
  • Daffodil67Daffodil67 Posts: 1,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah ice skating respect! Loved the show last night in a hilarious cheesey way. Check my homepage and if you want to register ( closed at some times as high traffic times!) PM me. x

Im rooting for Marika and Martin as Marika has done a lot for ice dance. She was #1 in the UK when T&D made their comeback in 1994 and missed out on the Olympics. She skated in a Blackpool show for a bit and met her husband Vitaliy Baranov there and they skated for the UK in worlds a few times and also the 02 Olympics. He got an injury and they've retired now.

Pam O Connor is also a great skater, she and her ex partner (he got injured too) Jon O Docherty represented the UK a few times too, loved their Elton John routine from 02 - very smooth skaters.

Krista Cousins is married to ex British champ Steven Cousins.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any skating experts out there in DS land that can put me rignt??

When T & D were dancing together in comps, were they not also judged on set dances or rythyms, where they had to dance the set piece three times? Some of the T & D set dances were just as good as the main ones we all remember.

Lady Boz

Yeah, there was the Original Set Pattern dance, their most memorable (and possibly my all time favourite skate from them) was the Paso Doble dance in 1984.

Sadly its now just an Original Dance to a set rhythym, though this years is fun, its tango themed. European Championships on Eurosport live this week! Original Dance is Thursday afternoon, Free Dance Friday evening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobblekat wrote:
    How very true... my first thought was indeed 'WTF! Who thought of THAT costume!'

Worse than even one of Tarasova's worse nightmares (and thats saying something!)

(Tarasova - diva ice coach who dresses her skaters very bizarrely for those not into le patinage LOL)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :D Sharonkitty our resident l'experte du patinage!!

many thanks SK for the links to the skating this week, will trot off to get them set up on Sky

"Give us that zapper, Boz."