"viewers have forgiven Goody for her controversial outbursts during CBB5"

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what a load of rubbish.
    I hope her new tv series flops!
    Fortunately i've not heard anything about her for ages and i hope it staqys like that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 68,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bad Juju wrote: »
    Absolutely!

I've been saying this for years. Working class people are often represented as moronic thugs who revel in their own stupidity, that wretched programme Wife Swap was a perfect example of this attitude, I watched it a couple of times and it was like watching some twisted propaganda.

I'm sick of these programmes that invite us to a) watch the 'lower classes' ripping each other to shreds or just being generally belligerent and thick or b) nice middle class people buying houses, building their dream houses or going on holiday or something. It's like a tv version of the French Court, 'hey plebs! come and watch the wealthy have their nice lives'.

All this reality telly crap is just lazy cheap television.

good post.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    there have been some really articulate posts on this thread, really good to read them
  • BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petertard wrote: »
    Jade appeals to this thing in people that says, this woman is a total asshole, but I'm not as bad as her, and if she can get somewhere, so can I.

IMO that attitude is the problem entirely.

People see her "getting somewhere" by being a pig-ignorant person and making offensive comments about people and think that if they act in the same way they too can be "Rich and Fay-mus".
  • mirandawebmirandaweb Posts: 3,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one was disgusted by her treatment of Shilpa, it was out and out malice and bullying and showed a really nasty side to her. I'd actually had a reasonably amicable view of her prior to that series of CBB (possibly because I hadn't seen too much of her) but nobody who can be that horrible to somebody else deserves to be forgiven just because they haven't been able to be famous for a while!

If she'd spent the whole time working in an orphanage or raising money for anti-bullying charities after an apology then yes - I'd forgive what I'd seen. All I've seen is someone continually trying to get back into the public eye while never truly accepting that what she did was just plain wrong.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    isn't the term 'working class' a bit redundant now? Surely society is a bit more levelled out by now?

I may have misunderstood, but is this a particularly English thing? Can someone define for me which class is which and how you work out who is what? Not being English I really don't get it.

And yes, Jade Goody is a moron and a thug and represents no one but her own stupid self.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely agree.
    It beggars belief how pompous the media now appear to come across to me.
    They really do seem to think that they are better than us.
    I can't remember a time when there's been this level of snobbery and ignorance against the working class.

I agree with you that it's a gross insult because it just shows you what they really think of us. 'Us' being anybody else who is working class.

In the media right now I'm seeing extremes of the rich/poor divide, the level of which I haven't ever seen in my lifetime before. Not even when Thatcher was in power.
    It's mostly coming directly from the media as well, because most middle class people I meet in real life are okay.

It all seemed to really start to become evident with the popularisation of the word 'Chav'.

I agree, I also would include the penchant for referring to people who are not wealthy or attractive or popular as "losers". I see a lot of that, and it makes my blood boil.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 64
    Forum Member
    Jackassfan wrote: »
    Agreed

I have never forgotton her bullying Sophie in BB3

Oh thank goodness someone else remembers that. I was beginning to think I was the only person. Her behaviour was appalling and I couldn't believe she got away with it. She is horrible!
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not keen on Jade (just like watching an animal in a zoo really) but I have to say the perfume is lovely. It was a present and I reluctantly tried it, and I liked it!! So, she sorta did something good(y). ;)

She didn't create it.
    She's not a chemist working in some laboratory on the sly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sofakat wrote: »
    isn't the term 'working class' a bit redundant now? Surely society is a bit more levelled out by now?

I may have misunderstood, but is this a particularly English thing? Can someone define for me which class is which and how you work out who is what? Not being English I really don't get it.

And yes, Jade Goody is a moron and a thug and represents no one but her own stupid self.

No, not at all.

I often see some of the media try to present that view, and I also remember Tony Blair trying to convince everybody that everybody is middle class now.

But it's a crock of shit. It seems to be a sentiment projected by people who probably don't have a clue what working class is anyway.

In my experience the working class is as evident now as it ever was, slightly more, slightly less, who knows? It all depends on who are throwing these statistics around.

I see middle class people in the media telling me what working class is and how many people are or not. But what would they know if they don'
    t even associate with working class people anyway.

The media highlight the most extreme examples of working class stereotypes and try to tell us that it's just they who make up the working class and that we all aren't like that so we must be middle class.
    It really is bullshit propagated by the media and the government used in order for us to form a particular perception about ourselves.

If they have an inclination to harbour any prejudices against the working class then they are probably more likely to want to sweep us under the carpet and pretend that we don't exist.
    So that when they shaft us they can say "Oh it's just a very small minority" which they believe justifies any unfair treatment of them and possibly even validates it in their mind. It makes it a lot easier to point fingers at a minority and blame them for the failings of society.

You can't tell the majority of the public that they are to blame for all the problems of society, but if you can get people to believe that it's a small minority that are causing problems there's a good chance you're going to get people on your side.
    A recent example is Gordon Brown's bribe over the 10% tax ceiling. He reimbursed some people, but the poorest people still lost out.

I saw a programme recently which revealed statistics of what people earn. It claimed that 20% of people earn less than £10k a year. That's a 5th of the working population. Excuse my language but just that amount of people alone makes up a f'cking lot of people. That's just the people earning under £10k.

Look around you and you can see the reality in everyday life. Just go about your normal day and see what most people you come across do for a living.
    We're certainly not all on a Channel 4 lifestyle programmes buying £2m holiday villas on the South of France.
  • sofakatsofakat Posts: 16,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    answer my question?

How do the English define the various 'classes' that they believe exist?

What is your idea of 'working class'?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    Officially, the government use the Erikson and Goldthorpe class schema which is based on the type of job you engage in:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/methods_quality/ns_sec/history_origin_concept.asp

However, obviously a lot of class definition is socially mediated and often involves stereotyping, several theorists point now to a "death of class" due to the changing nature of capitalist economy and globalisation
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Officially, the government use the Erikson and Goldthorpe class schema which is based on the type of job you engage in:

http://www.statistics.gov.uk/methods_quality/ns_sec/history_origin_concept.asp

However, obviously a lot of class definition is socially mediated and often involves stereotyping, several theorists point now to a "death of class" due to the changing nature of capitalist economy and globalisation

If you get three sociologists debating class in Britain you will end up with four different points of view.

But I don't think money is the main determinant. Think of Pandora Maxwell, declared bankrupt and with five children, saying "luckily kind friends are paying their school fees". Which did make me think that some people just glide through life on teflon castors, insulated by their contacts, their confidence, their private education, their family name, their expectations and traditions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No wonder comments are disabled. What a repulsive thing she can be.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This whole thread should be sent to Living TV and they should take good note of what has been said here.

We dont want Jade Goody on TV anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 388
    Forum Member
    If you get three sociologists debating class in Britain you will end up with four different points of view.

Obiously, as sociology is an inherently contested discipline. I was merely pointing out the officical measure of class but pointed to the "death of class" to see why this schema may not be relevant today. I always preferred the Weberian model
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't care what class she is
    She is a stupid, ignorant, vile PIG

I'd be quite happy if zlisters like Jade, Chanelle, chantelle, Danielle, Calum etc never appeared on our screens again

Perhaps one day we'll get back to Celebrities actually having done something with their lives, or having some discernable talent, rather than the ability of opening their legs to another zlister or appearing on a "reality" show
  • millymilly Posts: 5,871
    Forum Member
    She also bullied dirk and made him cry as well:mad:..If i was to say what i really feel about her,i'd be banned.How anyone would want her new perfume,book,an a new tv show, is beyond me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milly wrote: »
    She also bullied dirk and made him cry as well:mad:..If i was to say what i really feel about her,i'd be banned.How anyone would want her new perfume,book,an a new tv show, is beyond me.
    She also shouted at poor old Ken on her second night in the house, then continued on to screech at him the next day..no wonder he left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ****ing vile fat moonpig that she is, i really wish someone would knock the **** out of her for good measure.

Have i forgiven her for her bullying and racist behaviour that she showed towards Shilpa??..**** no!!! and i dont appreciate some muppet that works for a crap tv channel telling me that i have forgiven her.

The mind boggles as to why this fat moonpig ever became successful...
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another reason to avoid the barrel-scraping pit that is LivingTV.

Goody is an unpleasant individual in terms of looks, personality and character. She should not be welcomed onto television ever again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jade's agent has obviously been planning this relaunch for months, and one has to admire the attention to detail, time and energy he has put into it.

This is make-or-break year for Jade. If she doesn't pull this relaunch off, I don't think anyone will give her a third chance.

I hope it fizzles out totally. There are far nicer, more talented people who could be given tv time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,704
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jade's agent has obviously been planning this relaunch for months, and one has to admire the attention to detail, time and energy he has put into it.

This is make-or-break year for Jade. If she doesn't pull this relaunch off, I don't think anyone will give her a third chance.

I hope it fizzles out totally. There are far nicer, more talented people who could be given tv time.
    I really don't believe the public will give her a second chance at all.
    She blew it big time and the ditzy, dumb funny Jade the public fell for was all an act, we saw what she was really like in CBB.

Also her ego was huge when she went back into the BB house as a 'celeb' before all the agro with Shilpa. She was so full of herself and she kept saying how well her book and perfume sold, how magazines sold more copies with her picture on the front, and she was the 25th most influential celebrity in the world!! she took herself so seriously and wasn't down to earth anymore, she really believed she was a huge celebrity which is why she thought the Shilpa thing would blow over and she would get away with it all.
    I can't see her being able to fool the public again, and if this thread is anything to go by she has no hope.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think she will though. It has a feeling of inevitability about it.

For whatever reason, a lot of people who are addicted to these trashy celebrity gossip magazines actually want particular people in them to be big famous celebrities.

Doesn't matter what these pseudo-celebrities are like as people, the fans of these magazines appear to look beyond that and just want them to stay famous so that they can continue watching the soap opera of their lives unfold in front of them. It appears to be pure blind loyalty built up over time by constant exposure to these magazines. It's almost like the celebrities in them are fictional characters off a soap. It doesn't matter if these celebrities are nice people or horrible people. They are just media constructs in which many people have placed a huge emotional investment.

These magazines probably brainwash a lot of people and people will possibly find it hard to suddenly see the celebrities in them as real people and judge them as though they are real people.

So it doesn't matter how bad these celebrities are as people, they to many people are probably half cartoon character, half person, so if they do anything horrible or act in a terrible way, it probably isn't really seen as real.
    Fans who read the magazines will have invested their emotions into these caricature celebrities, so they aren't going to want their celebrity to end. It would be a bit like cutting a drug supply off from a junkie. Remember how affected many people appeared to be when 'Take That' split up? It's going to be like that kind of emotional investment which fans of these magazines are going to have in some of these celebrities of the likes of the Goodys and Katonas.

Many of them will want them to continue to be famous no matter what. They've invested too much time and emotion into them for it to be all taken away and the dream to end.
    That would mean that they'd wasted too much time following their exploits in the first place.
    They're going to want to continue seeing them as icons because somewhere in the back of their mind it possibly gives them hope that the dream can happen to them too.