Options

HTC One X - first impressions

Comments

• Options
    daclickdaclick Posts: 3,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paulbrock wrote: »
    It's shit for this, same as every phone out there. Just buy the DVD. (pet hate ;) )

I dont think ill get a dvd for some of the gigs i go too. Ive heard the experia S is quite good for video recording (and audio)
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    a quad core processor and a better screen - Isnt that enough?

Honestly? For me, no. If the only difference between the S2 and the S3 (or One X, or even the *shudder* New(tm) iphone ;) ) is a bit better screen and a bit faster processor, I'll hold off upgrading. Not worth signing a new contract for.

That's not a fault of HTC of course, its where the market is ending up right now. Give a me a flexible screen or a MUCH better battery with the same size and weight and I'm in.
  • Options
    ACUACU Posts: 9,104
    Forum Member
    paulbrock wrote: »
    Honestly? For me, no. If the only difference between the S2 and the S3 (or One X, or even the *shudder* New(tm) iphone ;) ) is a bit better screen and a bit faster processor, I'll hold off upgrading. Not worth signing a new contract for.

That's not a fault of HTC of course, its where the market is ending up right now. Give a me a flexible screen or a MUCH better battery with the same size and weight and I'm in.

I am not in contract, and currently have a Desire HD, so for me upgrading to either S3 or One X will be a significant jump forward. I can understand what your saying, going from the S2 or Nexus, there probably wont be that much of a jump.

I better battery is a bit of a no-brainer to be honest. The flexible screens, I am not so sure about. At the moment I cant see them being more than a gimmick. What real life use would a flexible screen be a must have or at the very least a neat feature?
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ACU wrote: »
    What real life use would a flexible screen be a must have or at the very least a neat feature?

I'm thinking more when its a generation or two down the line, when you can have a big(ger) screen without sacrificing portability. Maybe even the evolution of something like the Padfone, where the screen can be either phone sized or tablet sized.
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't seen any news on the HTC One X yet, but reports suggest HTC One S is easily chippable. Are both phones made of the same material?

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-ceramic-surface-on-the-htc-one-s-might-have-a-problem-get-chipped-easily/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Haven't seen any news on the HTC One X yet, but reports suggest HTC One S is easily chippable. Are both phones made of the same material?

http://blog.gsmarena.com/the-ceramic-surface-on-the-htc-one-s-might-have-a-problem-get-chipped-easily/

The X is plastic, not aluminium
  • Options
    John MalkovichJohn Malkovich Posts: 344
    Forum Member
    I heard today that the loudspeaker on the One X is terrible.

As someone who often listens to music through the loudspeaker, I was wondering if someone could verify this?

I have an iPhone 4 and Galaxy S2 and the loudspeaker quality on both phones is outstanding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36
    Forum Member
    The earpiece speaker is kinda crap. A bit distorted on mine.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard today that the loudspeaker on the One X is terrible.

As someone who often listens to music through the loudspeaker, I was wondering if someone could verify this?

I have an iPhone 4 and Galaxy S2 and the loudspeaker quality on both phones is outstanding.

I can't speak for the One, but HTC speakers in general seem to be absolutely awful. The one in my Desire HD is soooo crap.

It's the thing I hate most about the phone, the lack of ability to have it on speaker when at home to save holding the phone to your ear when you want your hands free. It's quite quiet and difficult to hear.

That is one area where iphones generally win, they do have good speakers.
  • Options
    MaxCherryMaxCherry Posts: 9,013
    Forum Member
    wilt wrote: »
    Android is fairly good at managing resource usage by background apps and shutting them down if the RAM is needed.

The only thing you're doing by shutting an app down when you don't need to use those resources via a task manager is wasting time when you need to open the app again, as it needs to start from 'cold'.

God knows why HTC have included a task manager.

They added this when I did the OTA upgrade for Sense (3.5 I think it was)

The benefit is it allows you to kill off any newly installed apps which are causing problems.

It came in handy when I installed 3 new games and one of them was causing popup notifications constantly on my screen for different websites/apps. It helped me pinpoint exactly which app was causing the issue.

Ordered my One X yesterday via T-Mobile. Just waiting for stock :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    I can't speak for the One, but HTC speakers in general seem to be absolutely awful. The one in my Desire HD is soooo crap.

It's the thing I hate most about the phone, the lack of ability to have it on speaker when at home to save holding the phone to your ear when you want your hands free. It's quite quiet and difficult to hear.

That is one area where iphones generally win, they do have good speakers.

Whilst I agree that the loudspeaker on the DHD is poor, you can have it on loundspeaker. You either put the phone facedown on a flat surface which automatically activates it, or activate it yourself.

My old N95 had fantastic speakers they were so loud and clear, but thats because there was one on each side of the phone meaning the sound was stereo.
    The one on the DHD seems to be in where the camera lens is
  • Options
    lambylamby Posts: 3,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The major downfalls are:

1) No external memory.
    2) Battery is sealed so you cant take spares with you.
  • Options
    fletchemfletchem Posts: 2,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lamby wrote: »
    The major downfalls are:

1) No external memory.

26gb is enough for me. I think I removed my memory card from my desire once. never had to resort to a spare battery before, but I can see how it will annoy some people.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When your used to 8gb of memory on the iPhone 32gb will be like infinity to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    lamby wrote: »
    The major downfalls are:

1) No external memory.

Another downside of not being able to remove the pattery is for if the phone crashes and is unresponsive.
    My sister has an android tablet - when it crashes you have to wait for the battery to drain 100% because its a sealed unit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MaxCherry wrote: »
    Another downside of not being able to remove the pattery is for if the phone crashes and is unresponsive.
    My sister has an android tablet - when it crashes you have to wait for the battery to drain 100% because its a sealed unit.

According to a post in the XDA forums a (reasonably) long press of the power button will force a reboot on the One X.
  • Options
    reclusive46reclusive46 Posts: 584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fletchem wrote: »
    According to a post in the XDA forums a (reasonably) long press of the power button will force a reboot on the One X.

Indeed. Most phones have a reset like this. Like on the iPhone holding home and off button for 10 seconds.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    My One X froze the other day and I just held the power button for a while, I think I also held the volume up button as the first attempt at power only didn't seem to work but perhaps it wasn't long enough. It was weird to not be able to battery pull though.
  • Options
    neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame about the sealed battery, why on earth have they done that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    Shame about the sealed battery, why on earth have they done that.

To make the phone slimmer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TurtleDJC wrote: »
    My One X froze the other day and I just held the power button for a while, I think I also held the volume up button as the first attempt at power only didn't seem to work but perhaps it wasn't long enough. It was weird to not be able to battery pull though.

Power + volume down for one second takes a screen grab
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Had the Desire for 2 years and can upgrade from next week. So should I go for this or wait for the Galaxy 3, which will probably be even more expensive? Main uses for me are camera and internet.:confused::confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    fletchem wrote: »
    Power + volume down for one second takes a screen grab

Thanks for that! I had an app on desire for that but needed phone to be rooted. Didn't want to root One X just yet so I'm glad that it can be done without.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    Had the Desire for 2 years and can upgrade from next week. So should I go for this or wait for the Galaxy 3, which will probably be even more expensive? Main uses for me are camera and internet.:confused::confused:

Really hard to advise here as the S3 is still a bit of an unknown quantity. I think it may have a larger camera sensor, but the lens and software will make a big difference.

Internet is very slick on the One X, but there is nothing to say that that S3 will be even better.

I am guessing that Samsung is currently tearing the One X apart to see how it can improve over it... but only time will tell.

If you have more patience than me, you will wait for the S3 to be launched and then check all the one-to-one comparisons that will no doubt follow shortly afterwards.