Dara O'Briain's Science Club, BBC2&HD, 9pm Tues

Comments

• mountymounty Posts: 19,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so could anyone hear the high frequencies through their telly?
  • chris000012002chris000012002 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    No couldn't hear 10K and above.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know if a TV speaker is capable of reproducing those high frequencies or even if they're gated out of the transmission, but it seemed to work well enough in the audience to be a good enough demonstration of the point.

Isn't it the same phenomenon those 'mosquito' things use to stop gangs of hoodies congregating outside shops and what have you? And weren't they banned as they may in fact damage your hearing even if you can't perceive the sound?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just caught up with the latest one, on music. I loved the bit where Bach made James May's brain light up, but Jedward did nothing! Very nice little programmes.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad Dara is back on TV next week for stargazing
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Don't forget the last Sky at night Patrick Moore recorded goes out this Sunday as well.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    A good final episode. Hope it gets another series.

For the frequency test I got to 10,000 through the tv and 13,000 though my amp with headphones and sound cranked up.

I also correctly guessed the human and computer generated music. It was sneaky to use that style of music as the Prof said baroque/harpsichord style music does have a lot of rules and restrictions.

For anyone interested in the development of music then Howard Goodall did a good series on it.
    Howard Goodall's How Music Works - Available on Youtube.
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I though ti was quite a good program - I never watch Top Gear etc but James May made some good points.
    But which music sample was computer generated? It wasn't actually clearly stated, the first or the second?
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rroses wrote: »
    I though ti was quite a good program - I never watch Top Gear etc but James May made some good points.
    But which music sample was computer generated? It wasn't actually clearly stated, the first or the second?
    Yes, I noticed that. I think you can make your own mind up.;)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    A good final episode. Hope it gets another series.

A new series starting right now!

Good to have it back. The first series did a good job at pitching the level just about right - not too Blue Peter but not too Open University.
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've seen this, enjoying it so far, I think it's set at the right level (I'm an undergrad studying a science).
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm willing to like this but I find the audience standing around like they didn't mean to be there and politely appauding when a video insert is played a bit awkward and a distraction.

Are they necessary? Why not let them sit down?
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mmmm...Helen Czerski....
  • albion-mad-nickalbion-mad-nick Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Certainly better than Bang Goes The Theory...
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    Mmmm...Helen Czerski....

Yeah, she's nice, I like her.
  • DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to see they've dropped the pointless appearance by a random comedian friend of dara.
  • JeffG1JeffG1 Posts: 15,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    I'm willing to like this but I find the audience standing around like they didn't mean to be there and politely appauding when a video insert is played a bit awkward and a distraction.

Are they necessary? Why not let them sit down?
    From the brief views of Top Gear I've seen, perhaps they are copying that format.
  • fayebeatlefayebeatle Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First time I've seen this, enjoying it so far, I think it's set at the right level (I'm an undergrad studying a science).
    I'm a dolt but I like this as it doesn't treat me like one. I thought the little science news section brushed over the black hole gas cloud, it's major stuff( possible why the earth is where it is in the Milky Way etc...)
    Still not sure about the audience participation. Seems just too top gear, I guessed all 3 drinks tasted identical. Doh!
  • andy_d77andy_d77 Posts: 682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    some of the material last night has already been used on QI - I even think DoB was in one of the QI episodes. Not enough science content for me needed a bit more detail in parts, but I don't think its aimed at me but a broader audience.

glad too they dropped the 'here's my mate off the telly' segment too, not sure if DoB sees himself as a presenter or comedian, I sometimes get the idea he wishes he hadn't done things like MTW even though its successful, I feel that he's much happier [and perhaps feels is more worthy] to be presenting the science based tv he does.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Mmmm...Helen Czerski....

Let's hope she does not receive the amount of hate that Mary Ann Ochota had on Time Team. It seems woman are not supposed to be good looking and clever, some men appear to feel threatened.
    Forum Member
    No, you just seem to have an obsession about it. Nearly all presenters will have people who like them and those who don't. It doesn't matter if they're young, old, male or female.

There are plenty of male presenters who are criticised. I don't see you in those threads standing up for them.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy_d77 wrote: »
    some of the material last night has already been used on QI - I even think DoB was in one of the QI episodes. Not enough science content for me needed a bit more detail in parts, but I don't think its aimed at me but a broader audience.
    I think just about everything on last night's programme has been covered somewhere else recently, the messing your brain up with electricity experiment was done by Michael Mosley; demonstrating that taste perceived depends on colour by Stefan Gates and others (although he went one better by confusing winos, I mean wine connoisseurs, with red food colouring in white wine); the hollow face looking as if it is convex; false perspective rooms; even the revelation that many more people than you would think tick all the boxes for psychopathy.
  • Marmite BabyMarmite Baby Posts: 3,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really enjoyed the programme despite it covering much of what I've seen on other programmes. Helen Czerski is rather nice. :cool:
  • RrosesRroses Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah...Helen........another fan here......

Agree, we don't need the token comedian involved.
    Forum Member
    atg wrote: »
    I think just about everything on last night's programme has been covered somewhere else recently, the messing your brain up with electricity experiment was done by Michael Mosley; demonstrating that taste perceived depends on colour by Stefan Gates and others (although he went one better by confusing winos, I mean wine connoisseurs, with red food colouring in white wine); the hollow face looking as if it is convex; false perspective rooms; even the revelation that many more people than you would think tick all the boxes for psychopathy.
    Yes, the food colouring was better in the E Numbers programme as it was funnier to see wine buffs being fooled.
    They also did a bit of the MSG headache/sickness myth.

Also agree about the face. I don't see why Dara had to go through the process. QI got a one of Einstein.