Options

Does anyone else hate their hair?

Comments

• Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Rachael. wrote: »
    I was bad enough getting a couple of inches off lol. Having short hair is great for drying etc but its a pain when it comes to being in a rush and not being able to tie it up.

Yup, birds nest most days lol
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was annoying that's why I got it cut, I wanted a style that was not high maintenance, one where I could just wash, comb and then leave it but nope even my short one was :(

That's because you didn't have any layers put in.
    Your hair sounds similar to mine in texture. I have just had mine cut (to chin length),it's layered and I don't have to blow dry it. I just scrunch it with my fingers (no hairdryer) and it falls into place. I don't even need mousse.
    It's just long enough to put into a little pony tale when it's very hot, just to keep it off my neck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to add, if you do grow your hair down a few inches then this style should be easy to achieve and maintain, assuming you have the right cut.
  • Options
    ImperfectPearlsImperfectPearls Posts: 1,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of just scrunching it to achieve beachy waves try drying it with a diffuser. Then you can just curl the odd bit with some straighteners. I done this yesterday using the Bleach London salt spray and elnett hair spray. It has left me with soft loose curls that are still in now. I find if I just rough dry my hair then curl it all it usually drops out really quickly but drying with a diffuser has been much better.

Do you tend to use products on your hair all the time? I really think they make a difference. If I straighten my hair and leave it it would go all puffy and bleurghh but using a serum on the ends to smooth it and then some hairspray to finish is a lot better and protects it from the humidity.

Also another thing that can make a difference is the shampoo and conditioner you use. A lot of cheap ones that lather up a lot can be bad because they contain detergent.

What is the dream style you would like to have?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DaisyBill wrote: »
    Your hair sounds similar to mine in texture. I have just had mine cut (to chin length),it's layered and I don't have to blow dry it. I just scrunch it with my fingers (no hairdryer) and it falls into place. I don't even need mousse.
    It's just long enough to put into a little pony tale when it's very hot, just to keep it off my neck.

The short style I was going for didn't have layers
    Instead of just scrunching it to achieve beachy waves try drying it with a diffuser. Then you can just curl the odd bit with some straighteners. I done this yesterday using the Bleach London salt spray and elnett hair spray. It has left me with soft loose curls that are still in now. I find if I just rough dry my hair then curl it all it usually drops out really quickly but drying with a diffuser has been much better.

Do you tend to use products on your hair all the time? I really think they make a difference. If I straighten my hair and leave it it would go all puffy and bleurghh but using a serum on the ends to smooth it and then some hairspray to finish is a lot better and protects it from the humidity.

Also another thing that can make a difference is the shampoo and conditioner you use. A lot of cheap ones that lather up a lot can be bad because they contain detergent.

What is the dream style you would like to have?

I tend to just wash and leave it, as I don't want the hassle every time I wash it

That's why I don't have a style in mind, I just want to get it to a length where things can be done with it if I fancy it or it can just be left
  • Options
    RednellRednell Posts: 2,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I seem to remember growing hair from short can be a pain in the neck as you have to keep on top of it to make sure it doesn't go out of control.

I do sympathise - my hair is very thick and curly -I once had it right down my back, and it was a nightmare, but it was my own fault because I didn't look after it. I got it chopped off because I was fed up of it, and also I was around machinery so from a safety point of view it had to go. Had it cut to roughly my collarbone and my goodness the difference in weight! :o It was so thick that when I went swimming, if i'd been underwater and emerged for air, it would physically pull my head back.

I have to get it thinned out every six weeks and trimmed, but it taught me just how much maintenance my hair realistically needs. I straighten it and add a few dabs of oil to keep it in place, otherwise it sucks up every molecule of water within 5 miles and puffs up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Rednell wrote: »
    I seem to remember growing hair from short can be a pain in the neck as you have to keep on top of it to make sure it doesn't go out of control.

I do sympathise - my hair is very thick and curly -I once had it right down my back, and it was a nightmare, but it was my own fault because I didn't look after it. I got it chopped off because I was fed up of it, and also I was around machinery so from a safety point of view it had to go. Had it cut to roughly my collarbone and my goodness the difference in weight! :o It was so thick that when I went swimming, if i'd been underwater and emerged for air, it would physically pull my head back.

I have to get it thinned out every six weeks and trimmed, but it taught me just how much maintenance my hair realistically needs. I straighten it and add a few dabs of oil to keep it in place, otherwise it sucks up every molecule of water within 5 miles and puffs up.

Having high maintenance hair sucks

My OH keeps asking why it's tied up so much, well thats the reason
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 376
    Forum Member

I have long hair, its the longest its been in a while now, but its wavy, layers dont really make a difference to my hair because it is so wavy, I do tend to get a few cut in, but there isnt much of a difference at all, you would notice them if my hair was straightened which it rarely is, but it doesnt make my hair much easier to manage. I use a conditioner called this one, its from superdrug, very similar to frizz ease but much cheaper and they do a cheap 99p conditioner that always works well with my hair. I have fine hair but lots of it and it knots easily. I have highlights as well, but I only get it cut when its getting coloured which varies from 6 weeks to 12 weeks depending on whether I get it done in a salon or at a local college.

I rarely use a hairdryer, occasionally if Im at the gym but thats it. Im not into using lots of product on my hair, cant remember the last time I used hairspray or mousse. I forgot my conditioner the other night and thought, disaster, but I use a solid shampoo with shea butter and it was actually fine.

My mum has poker straight hair and Ive always envied it, but considering how long my hair is, its not so bad to manage, its just about finding the right shampoo/conditioner combination I think. My hair has been more or less long for a long time so Ive not had to deal with the growing out stages and even though I only get my hair trimmed every 3 months or so if thats the longest I leave it, hairdressers have said its in decent condition.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a cows lick but I just shave it now

My head
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone else hate their hair?
    I do, no matter what I/my OH does it looks like shit, tried the beach babe/surfer type style tonight and I'm so disappointed

I would just love to have some:p
  • Options
    Cocoa CadiddlesCocoa Cadiddles Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    You could try to use a more 'natural' shampoo dear xx
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    I used to hate my hair so much so that I would brush the curls out but as I have got older I have learnt to embrace my ringlets. Everyone used to tell me how people spend a fortune and hours getting hair like mine when all I have to do is wash it and leave it to dry.
  • Options
    Rachael.Rachael. Posts: 2,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elliecat wrote: »
    I used to hate my hair so much so that I would brush the curls out but as I have got older I have learnt to embrace my ringlets. Everyone used to tell me how people spend a fortune and hours getting hair like mine when all I have to do is wash it and leave it to dry.
    I would love to have natural curly hair. As a small child I had ringlets but the older I got they sort of disappeared. My daughter has beautiful ringlets I hope she doesn't grow out of them.
  • Options
    tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is beach babe or surfer hair?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    What is beach babe or surfer hair?

It's a long natural tousled sort of style
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a long natural tousled sort of style

Really, thats mine. Helped by the fact that I always look windblown (no air con in the car have to drive with the windows open, quite exciting on the motorway)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes think that the colour if your hair affects the look of it - the beach/surfer look IMO is suited much better to lighter/blonde hair. Maybe a few highlights/balayage would help achieve the look. http://lilyjackson.com.au/ombre-hair-colour/ - some examples :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    orangebird wrote: »
    I sometimes think that the colour if your hair affects the look of it - the beach/surfer look IMO is suited much better to lighter/blonde hair. Maybe a few highlights/balayage would help achieve the look. http://lilyjackson.com.au/ombre-hair-colour/ - some examples :)

Yes, I have strawberry blond/dark blonde hair, (or 'ginger c*nt, as one of my oh so pleasant clients called me). I do love a messy look and to achieve it I wash my hair in soap every so often which makes it quite stiff and thick. I have very baby fine hair but lots of it. I have never found anything which can give it any volume but the soap works. I use spray in de tangler. I also dont brush it every day, it tends to fall into place after washing it. I cut it myself and cut layers into it.

I never knew I had a 'style'. Wow.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiacat wrote: »
    Yes, I have strawberry blond/dark blonde hair, (or 'ginger c*nt, as one of my oh so pleasant clients called me). I do love a messy look and to achieve it I wash my hair in soap every so often which makes it quite stiff and thick. I have very baby fine hair but lots of it. I have never found anything which can give it any volume but the soap works. I use spray in de tangler. I also dont brush it every day, it tends to fall into place after washing it. I cut it myself and cut layers into it.

I never knew I had a 'style'. Wow.

Have you tried Batiste Dry Shampoo spray? It does help in between washes but it really does add some volume too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Batiste Dry Shampoo spray? It does help in between washes but it really does add some volume too.

Well I wash it every day anyway so I dont have an 'in between washes' but I can imagine that it does increase volume.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Don't really fancy lightening it

I did at one point want to go blonde but I got talked out of it by people, I don't think I would really suit it, I have quite darkish blue eyes and dark brows/lashes

Guess I'll just have to stick with tying it up lol :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I did at one point want to go blonde but I got talked out of it by people, I don't think I would really suit it, I have quite darkish blue eyes and dark brows/lashes

I have blue/green eyes (they appear to change but I dont know why), black eyebrows and lashes. My hair is the colour of runny honey, but in the summer when it goes in the sun, it lightens so I have some very light blond bits at the moment. As far as I know I dont look odd!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The balayage is just a few lighter colours around the front/crown - my hair has got a lot darker as I've got older, I'm blue eyed with dark brown hair and quite pale skin. The Alexa Chung picture is a good representation of a easy balayage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The balayage is just a few lighter colours around the front/crown - my hair has got a lot darker as I've got older, I'm blue eyed with dark brown hair and quite pale skin. The Alexa Chung picture is a good representation of a easy balayage.

I prefer fully dark hair, I'm actually wanting to go darker than I am atm
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer fully dark hair, I'm actually wanting to go darker than I am atm

Fair play. But block colour and textured styles don't really work. Hope you find a style you're happy with :)