Options

Apocolyptic type novels

Comments

• Options
    4smiffy4smiffy Posts: 2,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On the Beach by Neville Shute was written in 1957, but it was way ahead of it's time. It's a brilliant read, I thoroughly recommend it.
  • Options
    Toby53Toby53 Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stirling also wrote another series in which it turns out that the same event that cause all technology to cease also transported the island of Nantucket back to 1250 BC where, strangely their modern technology continues to work

Both very good series, your statement about Island in the Sea of Time series is incorrect modern technology doesn't work, they have to restart from an earlier base eg military forces start off using roman style swords. They do eventually develop steam power
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Toby53 wrote: »
    Stirling also wrote another series in which it turns out that the same event that cause all technology to cease also transported the island of Nantucket back to 1250 BC where, strangely their modern technology continues to work

Both very good series, your statement about Island in the Sea of Time series is incorrect modern technology doesn't work, they have to restart from an earlier base eg military forces start off using roman style swords. They do eventually develop steam power

Sorry about that, it's been a while since I read them
  • Options
    bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my very favourite books ever - The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. Honetly, it's just brilliant! I'd say The Road by Cormac McCarthy as well - I loved it, but I did lend it to three colleagues and none of them liked it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Sorry about that, it's been a while since I read them

ok no issues, well worth a re read though, Lord of Mountains due out early September

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lord-Mountains-A-Novel-Change/dp/0451464761/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1346429465&sr=8-1
  • Options
    Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    One of my very favourite books ever - The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. Honetly, it's just brilliant! I'd say The Road by Cormac McCarthy as well - I loved it, but I did lend it to three colleagues and none of them liked it!

I'd forgotten about the handmaids tale. Very disturbing but I'd definitely reread it.
  • Options
    the_lostprophetthe_lostprophet Posts: 4,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my very favourite books ever - The Handmaid's Tale, by Margaret Atwood. Honetly, it's just brilliant!

Yes I was going to mention this - a sinister but enthralling book.
  • Options
    stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    Swan Song by Robert Mccammon. Very bleak and dark in places but a good read.
  • Options
    InkyPinkyInkyPinky Posts: 4,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Domain by James Herbert.
  • Options
    mocha-lattemocha-latte Posts: 2,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Life As We Knew It' by Susan Pfeffer

Classed as YA But I loved it...

When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, as power, communications and food supplies start to break down, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.
    A ferociously gripping story of human courage in the face of catastrophic disaster.
  • Options
    Jennifer JayneJennifer Jayne Posts: 9,022
    Forum Member
    not sure if its been mentioned but, conrad williams - one. Is quite good.
    http://whsmith.co.uk/CatalogAndSearch/ProductDetails.aspx?productID=9780753518106
  • Options
    -Sid--Sid- Posts: 29,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just finished one - Last Light by Alex Scarrow - and I thought it was very good.

The story explores what would happen if the world's oil supply was cut off. I found it both gripping and thought-provoking. I'll definitely be reading the sequel.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    4smiffy wrote: »
    On the Beach by Neville Shute was written in 1957, but it was way ahead of it's time. It's a brilliant read, I thoroughly recommend it.

A very good book. It doesn't feel dated when reading it and its a great read.

Stephen Kings The Stand is one of my particular favourites x
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Deathlands by James Axler

About an American wasteland after a nuclear war.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Life As We Knew It' by Susan Pfeffer

Classed as YA But I loved it...

When a freak asteroid knocks the moon from its orbit, horrific tides engulf parts of the globe, and life on earth changes overnight. For 15-year-old Miranda, as power, communications and food supplies start to break down, a desperate battle for her family's survival begins.
    A ferociously gripping story of human courage in the face of catastrophic disaster.

Absolutely loved that trilogy. :)

I've been reading Sleepers by Jacqueline Druga, it's a trilogy, with parts 1 and 2 available now (for under £2 each) and the 3rd installment is out later this year I think.

I got to the end of the first book and immediately downloaded the second, so for me that's a good sign of a gripping story! (not to mention the cliffhanger ending!!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »
    I've just finished one - Last Light by Alex Scarrow - and I thought it was very good.

The story explores what would happen if the world's oil supply was cut off. I found it both gripping and thought-provoking. I'll definitely be reading the sequel.

The sequel is great!!!
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    The sequel is great!!!

I HATED the sequel! I thought it was really really silly, and frustrating. I just about got through it all, but I really really hated it with quite a passion. I love Alex Scarrow's Time Riders books, so I was disappointed not to like this one. And I didn't really like the rather preachy peak oil stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elanor wrote: »
    I HATED the sequel! I thought it was really really silly, and frustrating. I just about got through it all, but I really really hated it with quite a passion. I love Alex Scarrow's Time Riders books, so I was disappointed not to like this one. And I didn't really like the rather preachy peak oil stuff.

To be honest I ignored all the peak oil stuff.

I liked the way the the society at the dome gradually detoriated from a sanctuary to a dictatorship and thought that it was worthy of a book of its own
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member

That is an excellent book as is J G Ballard's Drowned World.
  • Options
    guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A Wrinkle in the Skin..John Christopher.

A good read for me as part of it is set here in Guernsey!
  • Options
    HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    P D James, The Children of Men.

When I was a teenager, I read Z For Zachariah by Robert C O'Brien which has always stayed with me. Just went to check and it is still in print!

And not future apocalypse as such but still very doom laden and nicely written, Stephen King's Under The Dome.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    -Sid- wrote: »

Theres a sequal -- Afterlight
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    City of ember and subsequent sequels are good. Not apocalypse as such, but more about a world where pier supply is running out (can't say more without giving it away) I was out off for ages as I'd seen the kids film based on it and hated it, but finally gave in and read theolks, they are soooo much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 424
    Forum Member
    Its already been said, but I would strongly recommend I Am Legend. I didnt like the film when I saw it, and the book is so much better! It's conscise without being simplistic, and is just a really enjoyable read.
  • Options
    trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really enjoyed Sophie Littlefield's Aftertime trilogy but Amazon.co.uk reviewers don't generally seem to agree with me.

They are geared more for a female readership though.