What's the easiest way to get a job quickly?

SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've been applying for office jobs for the last few months but generally assume I'm being passed over in favour of people with more experience. I really want to get some paid employment soon, is there an easy way to do this. I have good basic education, computer skills etc.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been applying for office jobs for the last few months but generally assume I'm being passed over in favour of people with more experience. I really want to get some paid employment soon, is there an easy way to do this. I have good basic education, computer skills etc.

Don't limit your job search or applications to office work. Any work experience is better than none and a job in a shop (as an example) has a number of transferable skills.

Be positive when applying for jobs. Send in speculative applications in places like shops etc.

For office work, consider doing voluntary work in an office for a charity. For example the Citizens Advice Bureau.

:)
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your run of the mill then nowadays there are plenty better to choose from that's a fact. :cool:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Like most things we search for it is likely to be those who search methodically that will find the object of the search.

Plan carefully whatyou want work you want to do,
    write a good cv
    send letters to lots of prospective employers.
    search where others havent though to look.
    I posted on here a few days ago that 'Preloved' have lots of
    jobs adverts. I was suprised! Have a Look;);)

you could try here too
    Totaljobs.com
    www.totaljobs.com/

and here
    Monster.co.uk
    www.monster.co.uk/UK_Jobs

possibly here
    www.british-itjobs.co.uk/
  • scottie2121scottie2121 Posts: 11,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I needed a job quickly I contacted every job agency in the area and asked Togo in and talk about what may be available and I was open to both permanent and temp positions. I took my cv with me and made sure they had a copy.

I treated my job search as a project and was very proactive.

After a week I started in a temporary job which led to a permanent position. That was four years ago and I'm still with the company I was placed with by the agency.

I always think it helps to show your face at agencies rather than just applying to them online.

Good luck with your job search.
  • JulzeiJulzei Posts: 4,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voluntary work if you're prepared to work for nothing for a while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I needed a job quickly I contacted every job agency in the area and asked Togo in and talk about what may be available and I was open to both permanent and temp positions. I took my cv with me and made sure they had a copy.

I treated my job search as a project and was very proactive.

After a week I started in a temporary job which led to a permanent position. That was four years ago and I'm still with the company I was placed with by the agency.

I always think it helps to show your face at agencies rather than just applying to them online.

Good luck with your job search.
    Here are a few leads go to preloved and scroll through the list at the bottom of the list click on employment the list below are both jobe wanted and available (sorry they don't have two lists) worth a look though.

Sales and Marketing
    Management and Executive
    Professional
    Accounting
    Secretarial
    Office and Clerical
    Media and Arts
    Engineering and Science
    Building and Construction
    Agricultural
    Education
    Public Appointments
    Hospital and Medical
    Social and Community
    Driving and Dispatch
    Garage Work
    Retail
    Hotel and Catering
    Home Work
    Modeling, Health and Beauty
    Domestic and Cleaning
    Part Time
    Vacation Work
    Au Pair
    Voluntary Work
    Customer Service
    Administration
    Computing and IT
    Other
    Travel and Tourism
    HR and Recruitment
    Property

• AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old are you? If you are under 25 you could do an apprenticeship which will lead to full-time work.

http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Messrs Cameron and Duncan Smith should be able to give you all the answers. You may have to go through Ms Esther McVey first though.
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm currently doing some voluntary work for a charity. I've been out of work 5 years so obviously that makes it more difficult.
  • maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5 years?? Crikey ... And haven't you had any interviews or calls back? Have they given feedback? Is your cv any good? Why do you think you aren't getting anywhere?
  • SirMickTravisSirMickTravis Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maxsi wrote: »
    5 years?? Crikey ... And haven't you had any interviews or calls back? Have they given feedback? Is your cv any good? Why do you think you aren't getting anywhere?

I haven't been applying for jobs all the time. I have been applying for roles on totaljobs lately, but haven't had any feedback.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Getting a job is not easy. If having a job is your number one priority then you need to spend several hours a day on it and apply for absolutely everything that you can do or might possibly do, even if the salary or job spec are not exactly what you are looking for. I had to change jobs at the end of 2011 and it was extremely stressful as I thought I wouldn't get anything and finally was offered a role just when it was looking bleak.
  • CitySlickerCitySlicker Posts: 10,414
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Part of the possible problem lies in the title of the thread - easiest and quickly are really two different things. You can do easiest and that will take time. You can do quickest and that will take effort. If you want a job quickly you must put in the effort.

In your position if you don't have much experience I think you might want to try agencies. Get some temporary work under your belt to at least show you are capable of doing the job, then try and develop niche skills which is often quite easy with agency work - for instance you may have opportunities to develop taking meeting minutes, payroll and so on. This will give you the advantage above the rest for the employers who want those type of skills.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Almost every office job I look at is in finance, pensions or sales, which I've managed to have no experience of in 30 years of office work (nor any interest in).

With the civil service still chucking people out I can't seen that changing much.