Doc Martin (Part 16 — Spoilers)

Comments

• dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    A few noteworthy bits and pieces from S6 E2, at least in my view. Yes, I just watched it again.

1. Is that Doyden (Pentire) Castle in the background when Morwenna rides her bicycle to the cemetery?

2. A nice domestic moment for Martin: "How was your day?" Of course, he ruins it a moment later when Louisa asks how they got on without her around and he says, "Fine" in that voice.

3. Caroline is back. It feels good to have a character from S1 & 2 return. Later in the episode Dennis will refer to Jim Sim, another blast from the past. This is good.

4. Announcer's voice: "This is Radio Portwenn. Serving...Portwenn". :)

5. It's sweet that we see Morwenna sad and missing her grandad. I'm glad we already are getting to know her better.

6. Morwenna calls Louisa "Mrs. Ellingham" in this episode, but in S5 she called her Louisa.

7. I think someone said Louisa tells Pippa that Martin will attend the concert before she's asked him, but that conversation takes place the same morning that Martin meets Ruth in the street and asks her to babysit because Louisa's got something she wants him to attend. So this has already been discussed and planned.

8. Another domestic moment comes briefly as Martin and Louisa arrive home after the concert. They're talking about asparagus and shopping. I like little moments like that. They aren't bickering or being overly lovey. They're just being a couple.

9. Martin takes Louisa's arm as they get away from Penhale. Did I mention that before? Probably. Love it.

10. Martin loves Mike's OCD and tidiness. "Tidy house, tidy mind."

11. I can't explain why, but my favorite line might just be Martin's, "Take the cat".

12. I think Dennis is about 2 inches taller than Martin. Unusual seeing scenes in which Martin isn't the tallest person.

13. Martin knows enough about wine to put the white in the fridge and leave the red out.

14. Until things start to go south, it seems that Martin has actually done Louisa a favor by inviting Dennis and Karen to dinner. He just needs to work on his small talk and need to always express the absolute truth.

15. This line from Dennis to DM is fascinating: "Do you find it a problem having a good time, letting your guard down, having a bit of fun?" I wonder if this will be significant later. Especially "letting your guard down".

16. I have to say, oh, my goodness, Louisa has some bad moments in this episode. After Dennis and Karen leave, she blames Martin because he invited them. When he says he did it for her, she's still angry and blaming him. Bad, bad Louisa. She's the one who used the words rude, drunks, and moron. Tsk. Might be her worst moment ever.

17. Her second worst moment follows shortly. At the "new house" Louisa shouts at Dennis, "You're rude, you're arrogant, and you're drunk!" Minutes later, when Martin says something about Dennis and Karen being drunk or hungover all the time, Louisa says, "Sorry". So it's okay for her to say, but not him?

These two need counseling. Big time. Both of them. But I love them. :D

#17 - I don't think she is apologizing for Martin. I thought she was then I watched it again and I think it's a sincere apology about his fall.

It is so last century for someone to be irritated that a person at a party doesn't drink. There is nothing to apolgize for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I meant to mention something else. Medical adviser Dr. Martin Scurr said in an article about S6 that they've decided these days to avoid really serious illnesses such as cancer, as it's too depressing. And then in this episode we have a case of Parkinson's, an incredibly serious and debilitating disease that can destroy quality of life and drive family members to the edge. Sorry, we had a case of Parkinson's in my family years ago and currently have a family friend who suffers from this horrendous disease. Yes, I guess there are treatments out there now that ease the symptoms but eventually it will get you. Quite depressing, despite what that other "Doc Martin" says. And despite what our Doc says to Dennis about treatments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I still think it was cool that Morwenna's Grandad was "Q" from all the old James Bond films....too bad he's dead.
    Actually, "Q" was played, most notably, by Desmond Llewelyn -- although Peter Vaughan has some serious acting credits! (They do look quite similar, though)

No idea about Bond, but when I saw that S5 episode I knew I knew Grandad. Turns out he was in a couple of episodes of my all-time favorite show, "The Avengers". He was fairly young in those shows, but I still knew him.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of you have a Google Alert set up for Doc Martin news, have you noticed that this forum is regularly appearing in the alerts?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shop Girl wrote: »
    From Biffpup:

A few noteworthy bits and pieces from S6 E2, at least in my view. Yes, I just watched it again.

5. It's sweet that we see Morwenna sad and missing her grandad. I'm glad we already are getting to know her better.
    After sussing out where Morwenna's house was, a few months ago I realized that it wasn't the little white one story building (I now think that is actually a garage or large shed), but the big 3 story house that is white on 3 sides and red on the back. This episode confirm that (just in case anyone but me cares :rolleyes:)

6. Morwenna calls Louisa "Mrs. Ellingham" in this episode, but in S5 she called her Louisa.
    A LOT of people called her Mrs. Ellingham in this episode. I wondered if there was a purpose to it?

11. I can't explain why, but my favorite line might just be Martin's, "Take the cat".
    I loved that line too - many LOL moments in this episode.

13. Martin knows enough about wine to put the white in the fridge and leave the red out.
    Did you notice they now have a full sized fridge in the kitchen?

5. Shop Girl, you know I care about this stuff. Not sure why, but I do. I wondered myself in the preview of E3 if this wouldn't make a change to your locations. Do you think they switched to a different house in S6? I think you had it nailed for S5.

6. I guess they just wanted to keep reminding us they are finally married and that Louisa took the traditional route and took his name.

13.. Yes! They're able to go back to a full-sized fridge in the pantry because the dishwasher is back in place instead of the Dibbs mini-fridge. Or something.

Shop Girl, did you see my recent post about the kitchen table? Is it a different one or did they just paint the original one gray?
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, "Q" was played, most notably, by Desmond Llewelyn -- although Peter Vaughan has some serious acting credits! (They do look quite similar, though)

I stand corrected.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of you have a Google Alert set up for Doc Martin news, have you noticed that this forum is regularly appearing in the alerts?

That has happened before (and freaked me out) and then it stopped happening. I didn't realize it has started again. I should check my e-mail, I guess. It's kind of freaky, isn't it?

If I post my dogs' names with Martin Clunes repeatedly here, will the doggies turn up in a google alert?

Emma Bunny Martin Clunes Emma Bunny Martin Clunes.

Btw, I have noticed that when googling topics we discuss here in the hopes of finding more information, usually the first thing google presents is...us.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    #17 - I don't think she is apologizing for Martin. I thought she was then I watched it again and I think it's a sincere apology about his fall.

It is so last century for someone to be irritated that a person at a party doesn't drink. There is nothing to apolgize for.

Oh, good, and thanks, dcdmfan. I'm happy to take this off my list. I'll keep your observation in mind when I watch it again. And again. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, good, and thanks, dcdmfan. I'm happy to take this off my list. I'll keep your observation in mind when I watch it again. And again. :)

It's almost like she changes gears while she says it. At least that is what I saw.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    Philippa was in the non-wedding episode. At the beginning of the episode they show an exterior shot of the church and she is in the foreground sweeping the walk.

WAS SHE!!? I have watched this series MANY times, and didn't pick that one up. Way to go, eagle-eye!
    Forum Member
    NewPark wrote: »
    speaking of snippets -- what does anybody make of Joe Penhale's referencing of "What's love got to do with it, got to do with it." I looked up the lyrics, they're sort of relevant.

He might be saying (or being made to say) that being "in love" doesn't have a lot to do with making a successful, long-term partnership. Or not?
    7. I notice that Penhale’s speech which includes the Tina Turner quote: “what’s love got to do, got to do with it?” gets interrupted so that the question is left an open one. This fits with earlier things we have been saying on the forum about Penhale interrupting the “I will always…” at the castle, and that somehow making a statement about the kind of relationship/commitment M&L have.

Yes Newpark, I totally think that was on purpose!
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I think I have the medical mystery solved. I thought he was examining the guy's danglers...he may have been...but what he was talking about is farting. It probably is normal to fart 10 to 20 times a day...and of course doing so would relieve discomfort. The guy thought he was too gassy. Leave it to these guys to bring up such a subject.
    Mona's listing of the multiple times that the medical situations have repeated themselves is actually of more concern to me, as it suggests that they are running out of gas in terms of the basic plot device of medical mystery.

Ha!! Haa! Ha! Guy-with-farting-problem is a new one! I'm not so sure they are "running out of gas."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the Tina Turner song is significant, what is the significance of this one by Anita Ward? Heard through the radio at Bert's restaurant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URAqnM1PP5E

Ding a ling a ling :D:D:D
    Forum Member
    I thoroughly enjoyed last night's episode - it felt homely and had regained it's easy pace and charm again, as the scene was set for some new and fascinating relationships/storylines.

I agree, Manny's character has huge potential. I wonder if I spotted early signs that the Doc might relate to Manny's similar traits? Only musing you understand, but might we even see the Doc begin to develop a like minded rapport with Mike? Liking order and who knows, perhaps sharing a hobby, such as lining up model aeroplane parts together, that kind of thing! :D Tentatively leading to him forming his first genuine friendship with someone aside from Louise and his Aunt? Ohh I'd love that! Or maybe I'm getting carried away now. :)

The development of a friendship relationship for the Doc with another man was on my wishlist for S6, so if that's what Mike Pruddy is shaping up to be (the thought occurred) I'm really happy. Of course he could also be there just to create interference between Martin and Louisa or as a medical case that the Doc and Aunt Ruth have to sort out, or as a love interest for Morwenna, but so far I really like the introduction of this new character. I like it that I don't know where they're going with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    If the Tina Turner song is significant, what is the significance of this one by Anita Ward? Heard through the radio at Bert's restaurant?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URAqnM1PP5E

Ding a ling a ling :D:D:D

I wondered about that. It's such a strange song. At first I thought it was someone's ringtone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The development of a friendship relationship for the Doc with another man was on my wishlist for S6, so if that's what Mike Pruddy is shaping up to be (the thought occurred) I'm really happy. Of course he could also be there just to create interference between Martin and Louisa or as a medical case that the Doc and Aunt Ruth have to sort out, or as a love interest for Morwenna, but so far I really like the introduction of this new character. I like it that I don't know where they're going with it.

I think this is why every real fan keeps wanting Roger Fenn to return.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree. I think we are in a much different place that series 5. I'm hearing the bickering, and it's disappointing that it has become their dominant diction so soon, but there is a whole subtext of intimacy which I'm also hearing and which I didn't hear in S5. They argue, but they argue like husband and wife.

I agree that they argue like husband and wife. Yes, that sense of intimacy--always there over and over, because not in every scene but in enough scenes they have some agreement and trying to please each other. In traditional DM fashion, there is always a way it goes wrong (e.g. the clock and 2 week anniversary thing.) But mostly it is there because one or the other pays just a little less attention to being right than they used to. I noticed that right away as the episode played out.

I found it interesting that we learn it is 2 weeks later. Much of the discussion here so far doesn't seem to take into account that while the honeymoon night might be memorable, it wasn't a normal one at all. Then the clear signal at the end of Ep.1 back in the surgery, that plain old life was recommencing (patient emergency, JH to look in on, etc.) No extended honeymoon. And Ep. 2 picks up after the wedding is a bit of a distant memory and real life continues to happen.

Even if Doc and Louisa did something in the intervening 4 months since S5, to address their chalk and cheese-ness, as some have pointed out, they wouldn't magically in that time change completely, as some others have mentioned. It wouldn't be realistic. Can we learn to accept Doc and Louisa as they are, evolving slowly, rather than expecting them to have had a heart and brain transplant?

Based on these first two episodes, I find myself really interested in where this ride is going. Because like Biffpup, I do think it will be good. But who knows?:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wondered about that. It's such a strange song. At first I thought it was someone's ringtone.

This is an awful song...think it was just put in as an example of the quality of "Radio Port Wenn.....serving Port Wenn"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skimmer11 wrote: »
    I found Ruth's response to Martin's request - minding James while he and Louisa attend the school concert - rather telling.
    Ruth answered minding babies was not her forte. I think the subtext might have been- you got yourself in this mess, dear nephew, now buck up and deal.

It's clear from series 5 and the first episode in series 6 Ruth does not approve of his marriage to Louisa nor his choice to remain a village GP. I think she believes Martin has too many unresolved emotional issues to make a go at marriage, and would have been happier in the long run returning to surgery.

I'm possibly reading too much in what was less than a one minute encounter between the two, but that's what makes watching DM fun!

Didn't you find both instances of Ruth's advice a bit of foreshadowing..

First she mention that some people have incredibly high standards themselves and may hold other people to those standards...if they are always being criticized it's off putting.

Then she speaks to Penhale and says some people feel inadequate and to compensate always act big and important. Sometimes they have to forget about themselves and totally put their attention on the other person.

I don't really know how those things relate specifically to LGE and DM. But they seemed like words of wisdom. Life can get pretty grim if you are always being criticized. Poor Martin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    Don't forget though, that it was Ruth who sent Mike to them to babysit. I didn't catch it on the first viewing, but just as they are deciding that Martin will have to stay home, Mike walks in and says that Ruth sent him because they needed a babysitter.

A moment of remorse on Ruth's part? Still, I don't think she's approving of Martin's choices. Ruth may have a point, especially after Louisa's off the handle response to Martin's efforts at being sociable etc. But the deed is done, for better or worse, and lets see where this ride leads.

I watched both S6E1-2 back to back, and there's a different feel to each episode, possibly due to the writing. Ben Bolt's vision of the characters tends to the discordant and dysfunctional, as seen in Louisa's behavior in E2. Don't get me wrong, there were some really good bits in this episode (Martin being Martin, Morwenna grieving for grandad, Mike and James Henry, Ruth flogging her book) but can't say I cared for the shades of series 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 128
    Forum Member
    From Biffpup:

After sussing out where Morwenna's house was, a few months ago I realized that it wasn't the little white one story building (I now think that is actually a garage or large shed), but the big 3 story house that is white on 3 sides and red on the back. This episode confirm that (just in case anyone but me cares :rolleyes:)

A LOT of people called her Mrs. Ellingham in this episode. I wondered if there was a purpose to it?

I loved that line too - many LOL moments in this episode.

Did you notice they now have a full sized fridge in the kitchen?

Lol moments? Don't forget "This isn't a zoo!" to the patient in his underpants.

And possibly the frequent reference to "Mrs Ellingham" is to remind viewers there has been a change in status. But it was a little jarring as if we, the viewers, are too clueless to remember they are married. As if...:)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did anyone else notice all the messes in the house? We know that Louisa can be a bit messy and this could be part of the tension in the house. We saw glimpses of the messes throughout the episode - in the pantry off the kitchen, in the front of the living room, in the bedroom.

Both Martin and Louisa were really trying during the wedding, reception, honeymoon. Even during the trek through the woods, it was just them (and then them against the world). Now they are back to real life, full time jobs and a baby. It would take some time to find the equilibrium for any couple, much less this one! And with all the people in and out of their house all day long - the villagers treat it as a 24/7 public space.

I think Martin's line to the pantless patient, "This isn't a zoo!" was important. Because he was wrong, it IS a zoo!

LG knows that DM is a fussy, tidy man. We know from S5 that she is very messy; he had to clean up all after her in their bathroom. He can't constantly tidy up after her messes when he works hard everyday. One just wonders if LG thinks about DM at all in any considerate manner, and this is another example of dmdcfan's comment that she is not introspective at all, on how her untidiness affects him.

The softest touch of her I saw in E2 was, actually, when DM was examining her in his surgery after her forehead knock on the glass door. He notices her dandruff and at first she is put out. But, then, with him standing over her, we could see her retreat into being taken care of, almost like a child, as we saw when he towered over her as they stood by the Castle, and he explained how to help control it.

DM must be squeaky clean under those clothes. The overweight baby sitter and LG were lectured on cleaning themselves, all the areas, rinsing their hair well, etc.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skimmer11 wrote: »
    A moment of remorse on Ruth's part? Still, I don't think she's approving of Martin's choices. Ruth may have a point, especially after Louisa's off the handle response to Martin's efforts at being sociable etc. But the deed is done, for better or worse, and lets see where this ride leads.

I watched both S6E1-2 back to back, and there's a different feel to each episode, possibly due to the writing. Ben Bolt's vision of the characters tends to the discordant and dysfunctional, as seen in Louisa's behavior in E2. Don't get me wrong, there were some really good bits in this episode (Martin being Martin, Morwenna grieving for grandad, Mike and James Henry, Ruth flogging her book) but can't say I cared for the shades of series 5.

As far as we know, AR is a single spinster type woman, who never experienced love, focused solely on her career, and is just as out of touch with her emotions as DM was (before E1)/is (from S2, again).

One wonders if she doesn't like DM changing as she never changed, she never experienced love, never had a child. She is the DM who DM would have been if he had stayed a surgeon in London.

Might AR be jealous a bit of DM breaking out and TRYING to find love, TRYING to establish a family, TRYING to change, TRYING to rediscover hidden emotions?

Remember, AR is herself not the most well adjusted person around when it comes to emotions, love and change. For her to judge DM so much one wonders if his life is not perhaps pushing a button as it was a life she never got to experience herself.

Which is perhaps why she needs to have a secret admirer, perhaps to open up her emotions, although off the top of my head, I think she'll be very cynical and wary, at least at first.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

5. Shop Girl, you know I care about this stuff. Not sure why, but I do. I wondered myself in the preview of E3 if this wouldn't make a change to your locations. Do you think they switched to a different house in S6? I think you had it nailed for S5.

13.. Yes! They're able to go back to a full-sized fridge in the pantry because the dishwasher is back in place instead of the Dibbs mini-fridge. Or something.

Shop Girl, did you see my recent post about the kitchen table? Is it a different one or did they just paint the original one gray?

5. No - I think it was always the large house. A few months ago I was looking at that scene in the backyard and started to suspect that it was the large house. I do suspect that one story building that I thought was his house is actually a garage.

13. But the full sized fridge isn't in the pantry - it's right in the kitchen. I had always just assumed those shelves in the kitchen with the cupboard below was a built-in, but looking back, it is actually a piece of furniture. In previous series it was right up against the wall on the right (the wall by the pantry). I was looking at some video from S5 and it had been pulled away from the corner a few feet (moved to the left). For S6, it looks like they pulled it over to the left even more and now the fridge is there to the right of it.

I did take a look at the table and it appears to be a new one. Looking at previous series it looks like there have been a couple of different tables - minor differences in the legs. There are quite a few changes in the house. A nice upholstered chair in the front corner of the living room (by the french doors) and a few new tables - gone is that heavy chest that used to be near the front door. And that drop down desk in the living room is also new. I also noticed new pictures in the waiting room - one on the wall at the base of the stairs and one on the wall next to the front door - all of the changes seem to have a feminine touch.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what does anybody make of Joe Penhale's referencing of "What's love got to do with it, got to do with it." I looked up the lyrics, they're sort of relevant.

He might be saying (or being made to say) that being "in love" doesn't have a lot to do with making a successful, long-term partnership. Or not?

Newpark,
    I am not sure but I think this song is a denial that love has anything to do with her feelings because she doesn't want to get her heart broken. When in fact that's exactly what she's feeling but doesn't want to admit it.

It may seem to you
    That I'm acting confused
    When you're close to me
    If I tend to look dazed
    I've read it someplace
    I've got cause to be

There's a name for it
    There's a phrase that fits
    But whatever the reason
    You do it for me

I've been taking on a new direction
    But I have to say