Cucumber

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
Forum Member
Oh c'mon, is this going to be it? Just gays talking about cock? Is this the most we have to offer the world?

I know it is only 15 minutes in but c'mon!

Comments

• Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cant help feeling this is just reenforcing stereotypes....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    cant help feeling this is just reenforcing stereotypes....

I know. Apparently we spend all day on Grindr and staring at guy's crotches. This passed for the 90s but not now.
  • Dr. LinusDr. Linus Posts: 6,445
    Forum Member
    It's angering me so much that "normal" gay men like myself are so under-represented on telly (it's basically just Russell Tovey) and this golden opportunity is going completely the other way and confirming that we're all a bunch of pervs.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It's angering me so much that "normal" gay men like myself are so under-represented on telly (it's basically just Russell Tovey) and this golden opportunity is going completely the other way and confirming that we're all a bunch of pervs.

thats nothing. there are no 'normal' transexuals on tv at all....
    Forum Member

True. That scene where the man is crying over his essay but what is the gay guy doing? Dancing to Kylie and ignoring them all. Like gays give up on life when disco is playing. This is like something from the 1990s.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member

How offensive that you refer to yourself as normal and other gay men as abnormal. Id suggest it's you with the problem.
    Forum Member
    How offensive that you refer to yourself as normal and other gay men as abnormal. Id suggest it's you with the problem.

Hence why I put it in quotations - you know EXACTLY what I mean about the kind of gay men depicted by telly, and I'm far from the first person to make that criticism.

The fact is that most gay people are not camp, they are not any more obsessed with sex than straight people, they do not cheat all the time and fancy every young man they meet, and they do not pursue strangers obsessively in the hope of sex.

But this show, and most of television, likes to suggest that ALL gay men do these things and have little else of interest in their lives.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Hence why I put it in quotations - you know EXACTLY what I mean about the kind of gay men depicted by telly, and I'm far from the first person to make that criticism.

The fact is that most gay people are not camp, they are not any more obsessed with sex than straight people, they do not cheat all the time and fancy every young man they meet, and they do not pursue strangers obsessively in the hope of sex.

But this show, and most of television, likes to suggest that ALL gay men do these things and have little else of interest in their lives.

The title of the show is about sex. What were you expecting?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon_Carke wrote: »
    True. That scene where the man is crying over his essay but what is the gay guy doing? Dancing to Kylie and ignoring them all. Like gays give up on life when disco is playing. This is like something from the 1990s.

I agree. It feels 20 years out of date. I'm gay but cannot relate to this programme at all.

Does that make me boring, or just normal?
    Forum Member
    The title of the show is about sex. What were you expecting?

Possibly more than 30 seconds without a mention of sex.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this ending is proper bleak.....
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    I agree. It feels 20 years out of date. I'm gay but cannot relate to this programme at all.

Just makes you a well rounded normal gay.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No-one makes TV shows about normal people, if they did no-one would watch. There's no logical reason why the characters in a gay show should be held to a higher standard than the characters in a non-gay show.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this ending is proper bleak.....

They all contract incurable stds from unprotected sleeping around?
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,568
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They all contract incurable stds from unprotected sleeping around?

Except Henry - he's a virgin ;-)
  • lealeedslealeeds Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont relate to it at all but still find it entertaining.
    Eastenders and Corrie are no more relevant
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Only funny part in the episode
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member

He wasn't ignoring the messages, he was oblivious to them. Different thing.

And there's nothing wrong with a bit of Kylie whoever you are.
  • Mark-AnthonyMark-Anthony Posts: 572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anybody know what the song was at the start if banana? Was a tune!
  • LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
    Forum Member
    Anybody know what the song was at the start if banana? Was a tune!

It was Suffering You, Suffering Me by Slow Club.
  • Cestrian18Cestrian18 Posts: 6,857
    Forum Member
    Well unlike you lot we enjoyed it in our house, It was well scripted with some funny one liners with some pathos too- It was like a continuation of Queer as Folk and that can only be a good thing.
  • Dr.FeverDr.Fever Posts: 459
    Forum Member
    I wanted to like this, I loved QAF and thought/hoped this would be as good ...but I found it boring.
    Long OTT monologues with a very thin storyline. I gave up watching Banana half way through it, but I will give Cucumber one more try next week to see if an actual story develops.
  • henry_hopehenry_hope Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

Was this show worse than "Viscious", because that was awful and so out of date...like they were hamming it up, almost pantomime.
  • KevinessKeviness Posts: 2,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was everything and more about what I despise about "the gay world" (don't get offended and cry please).

Banana was even worse; I have the misfortune of living in an area where I'm surrounded by Dean-like people :(
  • AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As any Doctor Who fan will tell you, "It's RTD and his gay agenda".:D