James Barton

KittenPartyKittenParty Posts: 198
Forum Member
A lot of hate for this character from day one. The badly written story intro had a lot to do with it. Moira with her over the the top hatred was grating, seeing as she was up for having an affair with him, and Cain while also married to her now dead husband.

I like the way James supports his sons. No judgments (gay straight, and a bit lost in life) just support.

He is actually a great dad.

Comments

• craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of hate for this character from day one. The badly written story intro had a lot to do with it. Moira with her over the the top hatred was grating, seeing as she was up for having an affair with him, and Cain while also married to her now dead husband.

I like the way James supports his sons. No judgments (gay straight, and a bit lost in life) just support.

He appears to be more likeable as a father now, but IMO the character has changed somewhat since his arrival.

This new saccharine character we see, sucking up to ALL his sons, Adam included is actually a bit fake to watch.

I didn't like him when he arrived, and can't warm to him now. Poor bloke can't win!
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I like James..thou somehow his relationship with Chas does not gel..there is certainly more chemistry when he is with Emma,,I just wish we could see more of these two together..
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find him bland and dull which is a shame as I thought bill was fantastic as charlie stubbs in corrie.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    I like James..thou somehow his relationship with Chas does not gel..there is certainly more chemistry when he is with Emma,,I just wish we could see more of these two together..
    I've always liked James (didn't like John) and while I'm not overly keen on Chas, I detest Emma and just wish she'd sod off to Miami for real.
  • KittenPartyKittenParty Posts: 198
    Forum Member
    Wyezed wrote: »
    I've always liked James (didn't like John) and while I'm not overly keen on Chas, I detest Emma and just wish she'd sod off to Miami for real.

Yes Emma is going to be a love triangle nutcase between Chas, James an family. You could not phone these storylines in. I like Emmerdale, but I hope it's better than this.
  • Mark_Washingto1Mark_Washingto1 Posts: 19,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with the OP I don't get why James has gotten so much hate. The only thing I don't like about him is the relationship with Chas, those two are have zero chemistry and at this point are rarely seen together.
  • RadicalNatureRadicalNature Posts: 5,104
    Forum Member
    He is no John.
  • craig_25craig_25 Posts: 2,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wyezed wrote: »

Loved John Barton, he was a looker as well! How Moira could have cheated on the lovely looking John, with sour faced James I'll never know!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    craig_25 wrote: »
    Loved John Barton, he was a looker as well! How Moira could have cheated on the lovely looking John, with sour faced James I'll never know!!!
    Matter of opinion. :cool:
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I think James is more attractive than John - I love his eyes :)
  • cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
    Forum Member
    [/B]

He appears to be more likeable as a father now, but IMO the character has changed somewhat since his arrival.

This new saccharine character we see, sucking up to ALL his sons, Adam included is actually a bit fake to watch.

I didn't like him when he arrived, and can't warm to him now. Poor bloke can't win!

Yes, this, exactly! They've obviously rewritten him to give him a longer shelf life, but I just don't buy it at all, it makes me wince. So I hated him before, when he was a pig-headed bully, and now I still hate him and find him really irritating as well!

Like you say, they can't really seem to get it right with him.
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HATE HIM and I'II never like him. I'm ok with that.

He's actually a neglectful father, spending years looking for one son and forgetting about the other 2, his actions also lead to him losing the farm. He's only seen as a good dad now because he has a network of others to do the work for him like Val & Eric. He's a waste of space.
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Andybear wrote: »
    I think James is more attractive than John - I love his eyes :)

I wouldn't kick either out of the barn
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't kick either out of the barn

:D:D:D
  • SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The character just hasn't worked from day one. He's been in the show what, a year-a year and a half now, and has still made zero impact whatsoever,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SteveOwen wrote: »
    The character just hasn't worked from day one. He's been in the show what, a year-a year and a half now, and has still made zero impact whatsoever,

I think James is great now - I like the way he's settled to being 'normal' (I prefer 'normal' to 'dynamic' or 'sensational').
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time he got his own place