Options

18 certicates granted to films with scenes involving smoking

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
Forum Member
What planet are these people living on???
Somebody complained to Oftel because there was smoking in a Tom and Jerry cartoon!! Now they want to give all films where there's smoking 18 certifcates!!

Comments

• Options
    bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PMSL! what a joke

never gonna happen

12 films on sky contain swearing and scenes of violence

:cool:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Does the same go for TV shows?
  • Options
    skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    But you can see murder in a 15.This country is turning into a load of bollox.I wonder when people lost the way of logical thinking.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    Somebody complained to Oftel because there was smoking in a Tom and Jerry cartoon!! Now they want to give all films where there's smoking 18 certifcates!!

who's 'they'?
  • Options
    bluebroombluebroom Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe the person who complained didnt want kids seeing smoking - but tom and jerry involves violence lololol
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All I had heard about was scenes such as Cigar smoking were to be cut from old cartoons like Tom & Jerry because they were inappropriate in a modern context for pre-school children.

I have heard or seen nothing about 18 certifications for smoking, or in fact, this news story affecting any other productions, shows or films.

OP, who is 'they', and please provide credible sources if you actually want to be believed.

(Basically, this is a troll)
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At the risk of not joining in with the general OUTRAGE, who is it, exactly, who wants to certify the films in this way?
    And has it actually happened yet?
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good, sick of people lighting up a cigarette for absolutely no reason in practically every film I see. Smoking today is sad addicted people stood outside their workplace in the cold giving greedy non smoking scumbags back at HQ a good pension. :)
  • Options
    mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ghostbusters was released on Blu-ray recently. loads of smoking and its a PG.
  • Options
    spotyspoty Posts: 11,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But we have old women/men with Botox? News papers full of airbrushed people and we are told that is true.
    Then a ****/cigar from years ago is not ok?

How can you change history? Learn from it, great, I am sure a lot of the stars died from smoking. But to LIE makes all history not valid..

The man that said the Jews never died/killed, was put in prison for trying to change the past,

Why would a normal world lie about ****??? why lie to your children, people did bloody smoke. Now we know it's not good for you, but don't treat us like fools.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does the same go for TV shows?

If so, byebye The Simpsons.

Or have the Sisters quit now. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Watching someone beat someone up on TV doesn't usually influence people to go and beat someone up themselves, because it's portrayed as bad. If smoking is shown on television and in films in a positive or neutral light, it leads to people thinking it's acceptable to smoke and won't damage their health.
    Smoking kills.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Superior wrote: »
    If so, byebye The Simpsons.

Or have the Sisters quit now. :)

In the Simpsons everyone who smokes cough excessively like they're about to die :P
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    It's not official, but it was brought up ages ago by some Doctors and so on to automatically make a film an 18 certificate if smoking is seen. Even if nothing else in the film is rated no more than a PG...

It's bloody ridiculous IF it ever happened.

Smoking censored in films? They should ban parents from smoking if they have children then if that's their view point...

It's not going to make the slightest bit of difference.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the Simpsons everyone who smokes cough excessively like they're about to die :P

I dont follow The Simpsons very closely, but as far as I can recall, the only person I know to have died in the Simpsons is the Religious Neighbours wife....

Are they saying that God is bad for you? :cool:

All the smokers are still alive (and Drinkers)? hahaha....some message.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »

What's Oftel?:)

You mean Ofcom:rolleyes:

And this '18 cert for films with smoking in them' thing is never going to happen. They were on about it last August, so why would it suddenly come about again?
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    who's 'they'?

It was said Liverpool city council wanted to do it- local councils have the power to overrule the bbfc ratings board- but I'd doubt it'd ever happen due to it being impractical to give the likes of Casablanca or The Fellowship of the Ring an 18 rating.
  • Options
    mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I doubt this is going to happen - bloody joke if it is. Think of all those old classic films that would be re rated 18 :rolleyes:
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    People need to stop reading the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I don't read the DM :)