Dual-Tuner Freeview PVR Comparison

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    I think you should add 'TimeSlip' or 'Chase Play' (the ability to watch the beginning of a programe, that is beyond the Live Buffer, whilst it is recording the end) - to the Recording section.

ie. For a 2hr film that was pre-setup to be recorded, watch beginning of film even thou its beyond the units internal Live Buffer. (ala Sky+)

One of the must have features I think. I'm hoping either the Panny or Inverto can do this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 56
    Forum Member
    If I've understood you right, then the Digifusions can do this with the latest s/w update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    GLAM,

You are quite right, both Fusions and Thomsons will chaseplay/timeslip once they have 1.7.3/1.7.7

Cliff
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    OK, I've now added the Topfield TF5800T as it seems to be confirmed that it will be released in the UK in the next month or so :).

(If you hear any banging noises it's just me headbutting my desk trying to make a decision as to which one to get now yet another PVR is on its way......Panasonic v Inverto v Topfield...or maybe even subscribe to Telewest and get their PVR which has 3 tuners.....ARRGGGHHHH! :eek: )
    Forum Member
    emsee,

Where did u here about the 5800 model, their site only indicates one called the 5000, which has a 120g drive.
    Or is that the same model with a bigger drive re-named for the UK ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emsee wrote:
    Panasonic v Inverto v Topfield

I still can't decided, but Topfield sounds really good even tho there seems to be a 'if'/'not sures' about it. I'm slowly start to cross the Panasonic off because they seem to be taking so long and I have had dealings with them before (TUCT 20). Hopefully once more information about the Topfield is release I might be able to make a decision. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Possible topfield remote. Finally an achilles' heel - it's f'ing ugly!

http://www.melbournesatellites.com.au/html/r-5000T.htm
    Forum Member
    Philips Pronto is the answer ;)
    Forum Member
    FatMat wrote:
    Philips Pronto is the answer ;)
    I have a One for All that I can program via JP1 serial interface, which is good enough for me.

matt
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it is ugly. But that fits nicely with the box itself, IMHO.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sdc395 wrote:
    Yes, it is ugly. But that fits nicely with the box itself, IMHO.

I dont think it looks that bad. I would rather have something thats ugly and practical than something which doesnt have a lots of features and is full of bugs but looks nice.
    Forum Member
    FatMat wrote:
    emsee,

Where did u here about the 5800 model, their site only indicates one called the 5000, which has a 120g drive.
    Or is that the same model with a bigger drive re-named for the UK ?

I heard about it in this post.
    It's supposed to be launched here in the next 3 weeks or so.
    I presume the different model number is just to identify it as a UK model - I don't think it's clear yet as to what the differences will be (if any) compared to the 5000 model.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    Well done emsee!

A few suggestions:

Automatic recording guard time (i.e. Automatically add time to beginning and end of recording) - Thomson has it, Fusion doesn't. The Fusion only has manual which is fairly pointless.

Repeat recording (weekly/daily). The Fusion definitely doesn't have it.

Resume function (i.e. choose to start watching recording from the point where you stopped). The Thomson has it, the Fusion doesn't.

Adjustable skip time. The Thomson allows the user to set the skip forward time - the Fusion doesn't (it is set at 5mins).

I know all this because unfortunately I chose to buy the Fusion before the upgrades happened! Bring on the Topfield.
    Forum Member
    Doesn't the Fusion have repeat recording after a software update?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stickofjoy wrote:
    Doesn't the Fusion have repeat recording after a software update?
    No, we didn't get that feature in the upgrade.
    Forum Member
    OK, my mistake
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,528
    Forum Member
    immcinto wrote:
    Resume function (i.e. choose to start watching recording from the point where you stopped). The Thomson has it, the Fusion doesn't.

There are two ways to resume play at the last point on Fusion. If you are just tuning to another channel or having a look at the guide temporarily then pause first, do the other thing, then when you are finished press either left or right cursor (cycles through 1 or 2 tuner output and then playback output) and it brings you back to the playback at the point you paused.

Or if you won't be able to resume in the near future press [ok] which will put in a new chapter mark which will be the only one in the recording that isn't on an exact 5 minute boundary. Then just restart play later and skip to it.

Cliff
    Forum Member
    'Automatic recording guard time (i.e. Automatically add time to beginning and end of recording) - Thomson has it, Fusion doesn't. The Fusion only has manual which is fairly pointless.'

This is not at all pointless, its very easy to set an extra minute, two, five or ten - its your choice and is very well implemented.
    'Resume function (i.e. choose to start watching recording from the point where you stopped). The Thomson has it, the Fusion doesn't.'

See CJL's quote. As I've noted before just because things are implemented in a way that one is not used to does not mean that they're not there or are somehow worse.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    Very helpful chart emsee, thanks.
    There is N? next to Chase play/Timeslip
    (Watch programme currently being recorded on a timer)
    in the Pace column. Should be a Y.

Not that very many people will still be considering or even able to buy one. Actually one has just been bid up to £138! on Ebay (with a HD upgrade I think).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 78
    Forum Member
    This is not at all pointless, its very easy to set an extra minute, two, five or ten - its your choice and is very well implemented.

Fair enough. I suppose this could be useful for some people.
    Or if you won't be able to resume in the near future press [ok] which will put in a new chapter mark which will be the only one in the recording that isn't on an exact 5 minute boundary. Then just restart play later and skip to it.

Can a resume feature that is more time-consuming than simply starting playback from the beginning and fast-forwarding to the point where you stopped really be considered a feature?
    Forum Member
    Thanks to immcinto & Richard46 - I've now added your suggestions to the table :)
    Forum Member
    In the Other related links section of the Topfield column you've got the UK Distributor link wrong, and UK Distributor and it should say SeasonPass TAP

matt
    Forum Member
    stickofjoy wrote:
    In the Other related links section of the Topfield column you've got the UK Distributor link wrong, and UK Distributor and it should say SeasonPass TAP

matt

Oops - ta, I must have messed up the link at some point.
    Have also now corrected the SeasonPass bit too.
    Forum Member
    Can a resume feature that is more time-consuming than simply starting playback from the beginning and fast-forwarding to the point where you stopped really be considered a feature?

I think there must be a misunderstanding here as using thumbnails to find a selected point is very quick and easy, much more so than the fast forward method you describe.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    immcinto wrote:
    What are you talking about? It's not time consuming to move to a manually created scene. You seem to really want to bash the Fusion, but you might want to think again as you never know - Fusion might come out with a software update that has more than Thomson next time! In the mean time, Fusion always had some features that made things fairly easy that the Thomson only acquired with the update to 1.7.7. And some of the new features are not really helpful in the end. Like I thought turning off creation of thumbnails was something I would love to have. It is, but not the way Thomson have done it - if you turn off thumbnail creation, you cannot then manually add a scene. I hope that if/when Fusion give us a non-thumbnail option they will realise that we still want to be able to create a manual one.