Sister Act or Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit?

zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
Forum Member
I just rewatched those two films and still think the first is a flawless classic & the second is pretty rubbish.

What do you think? I feel the sequel was very unnecessary.

Choose please 81 votes

Sister Act
55% 45 votes
Sister Act 2: Back In The Habit
16% 13 votes
I like both equally
23% 19 votes
I dislike both equally
4% 4 votes

Comments

• zummigummizummigummi Posts: 320
    Forum Member
    Added Poll :)
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sister Act 2
    Has a more meaningful plot and a great supporting cast. Who would of thought the likes of Lauryn Hill and Jennifer Love Hewitt would go on to such huge things?
  • IC89IC89 Posts: 1,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Personal opinion alert*

For me I voted liking both equally, but on reflection if someone forced me to only watch one again forever it'd be Sister Act 2.

However I guess it's just nice to know that the sequel to Sister Act was also very good. We all know how bad a sequel can be!
    Forum Member
    Sister Act 2
    Has a more meaningful plot and a great supporting cast. Who would of thought the likes of Lauryn Hill and Jennifer Love Hewitt would go on to such huge things?

I admit Lauryn Hill was great in it and one of the few highlights but the plot was anything but meaningful really.

Needed a much better script if you ask me.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was meaningful in the sense of Whoopi's character getting a bunch of misfits teenagers to do something good with their lives, through singing. Where as the first was just about witnessing a murder and pretending to be a nun.
    Forum Member
    I thought it was meaningful in the sense of Whoopi's character getting a bunch of misfits teenagers to do something good with their lives, through singing. Where as the first was just about witnessing a murder and pretending to be a nun.

Depends on what you look on as meangingful I suppose I found the original films plot more meaningful in relation to a good quality script. I also don't look on either as meaningful in regards to real life situations as thats not what i wanted from either film.
  • chrisgeorgiou46chrisgeorgiou46 Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    I'm a teen, and wasn't aware of these films very much. My mum loves these films very much and I watched them with her when they were on sky or some film channel. Absolutely loved both of them, and made me a Whoopi fan. I love both films, but the first one is funnier and more entertaining in my opinion.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,104
    Forum Member
    I think I prefer Sister Act for the humour, but I liked the sequel too. Although sometimes listening to the cool kids trying to 'keep it real' and Rita's teenage angst is a bit much.

Although after watching the sequel I have to sing 'If you want to be somebody. If you want to go somewhere. You better wake up and paaaay attention' at least 5 or 6 times to myself.

Plus Lauryn Hill singing 'His Eye Is on the Sparrow' still gives me goosebumps, even though it lasted barely a minute
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer Sister Act, wasn't a big fan of the sequel at all although as far as sequels go it isn't bad.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    SA2 When Tevin Campbell does his high note in "Oh Happy Day"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I like both equally, but the second one didn't have the charm of the first one.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like both, but the first one just edges it for me. If either is on TV though I will watch them, even though I've seen them countless times and have them on DVD.

Interesting to find out though that Whoopi actually hated making the first one and only agreed to make the second if Disney let her film her dream project she had been trying to get made for some time beforehand, "Sarafina!". She apparently hated making the second one too, but you'd never tell! She must like them now considering the successful stage show that she produced (which I saw in Dublin and was fantastic!)
  • dixiewhiskeydixiewhiskey Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love them both.
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Oh definitely the first one for me. Whoopi Goldberg was beyond hilarious in that film, as was Maggie Smith who even back then looked well over a hundred. 'These people don't even have sex!!'

The sequel had its moments, but I agree with the OP. it was unnecessary.
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,908
    Forum Member
    I've only seen the second in full and enjoyed it.
  • Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The first one, but I like both.
  • Margo ChanningMargo Channing Posts: 5,240
    Forum Member
    Would have been interesting to see the first movie with bette midler who it was originally written for but turned it down.
  • Fear of FoursFear of Fours Posts: 1,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer the first one a little more than the second.
  • Cheap ThrillsCheap Thrills Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    I love both of them, the first a little bit more.
  • FluxCapacitorFluxCapacitor Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lauryn Hill singing 'His Eye Is on the Sparrow' still gives me goosebumps, even though it lasted barely a minute

You should download the soundtrack - there's a full version on there and it's beautiful!

The first wins hands down as a movie, but the music in the second is stupidly feelgood!
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Love both films, but the first is definitely my favourite. It had a more epic feel, while the second felt a bit more low key and is definitely less memorable as a result.
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SA2 When Tevin Campbell does his high note in "Oh Happy Day"

That's not Tevin Campbell but Ryan Toby who was also in the group City High. They had a hit with 'What would you do'.

Another vote for sister act 2 but I guess it was more my era and age group at the time. I listened to the soundtrack constantly for years!
  • TechnixTechnix Posts: 2,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sister Act 2 for me. I think I watched that first from my local video shop soon after its VHS release back in the 90s. The plot was more meaningful to me and it also introduced Lauryn Hill and her mesmerising voice to us. It also has a feel good factor and a coming of age theme about it which was synonymous with a lot of teen movies around that period.

Sister Act 1 has great humour in it and is also a great watch but I don't think you can compare the 2 films to each other, the plots are completely different to begin with.